Post-Game Talk: NHL TRADE DEADLINE - MARCH 8 - HF Bruins Discord backup is open

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Wrapping up the trade deadline in my mind….bullet point format.

1. Surprised/amazed/concerned that they didn’t get any resolution to the JDB situation. Maybe he’ll be re-signed eventually and can go on a tear now that he knows he’s here though the playoffs.

2. I don’t care that it’s “available” to everyone (which it really isn’t because at the very least you need a player or two who make decent money and have some type of injury at the exact right time of the season to make it quasi-legit) but the LTIR situation needs to be resolved. Seems kind of simple TBH. You can “own” $200 million worth of players, but you should only be allowed to dress a lineup that is cap compliant.

3. The Hertl deal is this years reason why I usually laugh harder at those posters who definitively quash other posters trade suggestions more than I do at the poster who came up with the idea. If you polled every poster on this board to rate the winner and loser of every trade made this week, how many of those deals would be even 65% - 35% one way or the other? 80% of life is subjective and situational. What one fan, GM or coach sees in a player, many others may not. A guy who you didn’t have a need for and didn’t think could help your team in December might be the exact guy you need in April.

4. @wintersej made a great point yesterday about roles. Admittedly it works both ways, as a guy you expect to take on a different role with their new team, many times doesn’t pan out. But how can anyone watch hockey for more than 5 years and not realize that the history of this league is littered with guys who didn’t work out in a few different places, before finding success somewhere else? Jesus….the 2011 cup winner had Tim Thomas having a career year at 36, Boychuk who had 56 NHL games prior to that season, Seidenberg who was a minus player in 7 out of 10 years prior, McQuaid 19 NHL games experience, and Andrew Ference, another minus player in half of his career. If every coaching staff and system was exactly the same, then sure. But they aren’t. To quote Billy Beane to his head scout for the A’s….you don’t have a crystal ball, you can’t look at a kid and predict his future, any more than I can. You tell these kids that you know what they’ll be in the future……but you don’t, you don’t. And that logically goes for us even more than a pro scout.

5. Said it a month ago and still felt the same yesterday. I went back and forth almost hourly about trading Ullmark. Logically, to me it makes more sense to hand Swayman the keys and improve the team in front of him using Ullmark. But sometimes (rarely) logic takes a back seat to feelings/emotion. So if keeping the group in tact, and allowing them to try to avenge what happened last year is the direction they chose to go, then so be it. I’ll be rooting hard for it to happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad