NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
I'm 90% confident this guy is a mouthpiece for Chris Hansen. He has been the only one suggesting that the Key Arena would not work for the NBA.

Just skimming this, SD, I'd have to agree. Not anything different than what we've seen from him in the past, and he's written multiple times about this subject.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Just skimming this, SD, I'd have to agree. Not anything different than what we've seen from him in the past, and he's written multiple times about this subject.
there has been several articles over the past couple years that have had anonymous People in the league come out and say that NBA regrets putting a team in Memphis its does not seem like the NBA has the same feelings about moving Seattle to OKC The league probablely remembers who the government treated them Stern: NBA won't return to Seattle if Sonics leave

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
We've done the NBA enough favors, we got them to brand new arenas in Sacramento and Milwaukee as they used Hansen as their leverage. I'm sort of tired of playing this game with the NBA. If they don't want to come to the Key, that is on them. No one else.

Jason316

Oct 3, 2017
Santa Monica California
there has been several articles over the past couple years that have had anonymous People in the league come out and say that NBA regrets putting a team in Memphis its does not seem like the NBA has the same feelings about moving Seattle to OKC The league probablely remembers who the government treated them Stern: NBA won't return to Seattle if Sonics leave

The city LOVES the sonics. This past Monday I was at the KeyArena to watch Monday Night Raw and a HUGE SUPER SONICS chant lasted 8 mins long.

Me and my wife were chanting along as well(mob mentality) eventhough we don’t like NBA and are from Vancouver lol. But that was an awesome experience. Can’t wait for opening night we will be there.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
We've done the NBA enough favors, we got them to brand new arenas in Sacramento and Milwaukee as they used Hansen as their leverage. I'm sort of tired of playing this game with the NBA. If they don't want to come to the Key, that is on them. No one else.

Aaron Levine is sort of touching on this in this Tweet:

And he's right, too. The NBA knows who they have to deal with here in Seattle - it's Oak View no one else. They know what they need to do, and they'll see proof of why they need to do it tonight. Will they? Hard telling. BTW, it's important to note for our purposes here that two NHL owners who also are NBA owners - Leonsis and Tanenbaum - were in that meeting the other day in New York so they will be paying certainly close attention I'd guess tonight.

The city LOVES the sonics. This past Monday I was at the KeyArena to watch Monday Night Raw and a HUGE SUPER SONICS chant lasted 8 mins long.

Me and my wife were chanting along as well(mob mentality) eventhough we don’t like NBA and are from Vancouver lol. But that was an awesome experience. Can’t wait for opening night we will be there.

That particular incident for those unaware was widely discussed all over the Internet earlier in the week - one of the WWE wrestlers, fellow by the stage name of "Elias" did a nasty anti-Sonics rant in his "promo" segment during the RAW show and that earned him a ton of boos. If that performer didn't understand the raw nerve he had hit, he probably never will.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Aaron Levine is sort of touching on this in this Tweet:

And he's right, too. The NBA knows who they have to deal with here in Seattle - it's Oak View no one else. They know what they need to do, and they'll see proof of why they need to do it tonight. Will they? Hard telling. BTW, it's important to note for our purposes here that two NHL owners who also are NBA owners - Leonsis and Tanenbaum - were in that meeting the other day in New York so they will be paying certainly close attention I'd guess tonight.

That particular incident for those unaware was widely discussed all over the Internet earlier in the week - one of the WWE wrestlers, fellow by the stage name of "Elias" did a nasty anti-Sonics rant in his "promo" segment during the RAW show and that earned him a ton of boos. If that performer didn't understand the raw nerve he had hit, he probably never will.
Tanenbaum is head of the NBA board of governors in theory he has the same power and influence in the NBA that Jacobs does in the NHL

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Hell, Windhorst doesn't even mention that Bonderman/OVG would likely be NBA investors. Bonderman is ALREADY in the NBA CLUB and will divest his interest in the Celtics of all teams to own a Seattle team.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm 90% confident this guy is a mouthpiece for Chris Hansen. He has been the only one suggesting that the Key Arena would not work for the NBA.

The ESPN guy completely intentionally ignores that the MOU says NBA must approve of it or else it will not get built. The NBA is not going to tell one of its owners that sorry your arena is not good enough for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeCubs

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Araon Levine is a pro sodo arena guy and continues stir the pot. He was never onboard with OVG and key arena to begin with.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Aaron Levine is an ESPN created reporter. He continues to crap the SODO project at any chance he can get. It's over Aaron go home. Would love for the NBA Sonics to happen. Maybe optimistic, but I do believe it will eventually happen and Hanson won't be involved.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Tim Leiweke mention that someone would have to pay another 700m+ for the arena on top of the cost of the team and deal with political red tape in Seattle. That is not going to happen. A 2nd arena in Seattle is never ever going to happen.

Windhorst again is intentinally not paying attention to what is being said from Leiweke and Bonderman. They want a NBA team. Bonderman wants to own the team.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
(is it significant that this link is to an article is from 8 years ago? just noticed that.)
its even worse now for the league because of players like Kevin Durant. David Stern grew the league by putting expansion and relocated teams in small markets that star players have no interest in living and playing in. the league is probably more concerned about a team like New Orleans if Anthony Davis leaves then putting new teams in markets

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Komonews is just as bad when it comes the arena thing.

Komonews person is calling this chicken or the egg situation. He pretty calling saying NHL won't give team until arena is under construction but arena won't be under construction until NHL is granted...

Its a non issue. The NHL will grant the team in december.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Komonews person is calling this chicken or the egg situation. He pretty calling saying NHL won't give team until arena is under construction but arena won't be under construction until NHL is granted...

Guy's a producer and this blog is his own time thing. The clause yes it does create a chicken and egg thing and that's what I think everyone's concerned about, but as I've stated before, Oak View must feel pretty confident enough about it that a lot of those things really don't matter.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Aaron Levine is an ESPN created reporter. He continues to crap the SODO project at any chance he can get. It's over Aaron go home. Would love for the NBA Sonics to happen. Maybe optimistic, but I do believe it will eventually happen and Hanson won't be involved.

But you have to agree that at minimum he did force the city to get off its ass and do something??

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Hes just trying to drive traffic to his blog. No one buys it (no one is commenting or sharing).

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
It's so nice to see Seattle enjoying some NBA basketball tonight.
Makes me feel all nostalgic which I'm sure was the point. Sorry for the o/t but no other thread seemed more appropriate.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans

That was insane. I've watched a little bit of WWE -- because my buddy has the network and big PPVs are fun, plus he has the video game and I like to create myself to beat the crap out of the humongous WWE guys (hilarious because I'm kind of a skinny nerdy twerp) and I'll check in with who they are.

Elias' schtick is talking trash at the fans in whatever arena they are: Mocking Toronto not winning a Cup and what Tavares must be thinking; or in Columbus mocking the O-H-I-O chant. And nothing I've seen of his dozen or so heel smack getting the fans to boo was longer than like 20 seconds.

That booing was insanely loud for like 8 full minutes. It never died down, they struggled to stay in the character and their mics had to be cranked so loud to talk over the boos there was feedback. It was amazing.

Reactions: Jason316

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And Key arena has closed its door as we know it for the last time. I won't miss that building.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
That was insane. I've watched a little bit of WWE -- because my buddy has the network and big PPVs are fun, plus he has the video game and I like to create myself to beat the crap out of the humongous WWE guys (hilarious because I'm kind of a skinny nerdy twerp) and I'll check in with who they are.

Elias' schtick is talking trash at the fans in whatever arena they are: Mocking Toronto not winning a Cup and what Tavares must be thinking; or in Columbus mocking the O-H-I-O chant. And nothing I've seen of his dozen or so heel smack getting the fans to boo was longer than like 20 seconds.

That booing was insanely loud for like 8 full minutes. It never died down, they struggled to stay in the character and their mics had to be cranked so loud to talk over the boos there was feedback. It was amazing.

The thing is, I like Elias and cheer for the cheap heat.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Re: alignments.... I calculated the air distances betweeen the western conference franchises. In the end, it's either 1.5 games at Edm/Cgy or 2 (assuming 3 games vs conference and 4 games vs in division). As mentioned many times, the road trips are indeed trips and not just one off destinations. You also ahve to figure the entire central division here and not just the Pacific i.e. what does NSH, DAL & CHI want to see? I would assume they'd rather have COL & AZ since A> closer to them and B> less border crossings.

Teams that benefit from Alberta teams in Pacific: Edm, Cgy, Van, Sea, Dal, Min, Chi, Stl, Nsh & Col (10 teams)
Teams that benefit from Col & Az in Pacific: Az, LV, LA, Anh, SJS, Wpg (6 teams)

Distance saved (mi)
Edm-Cgy in PacCol-AZ in Pac
SEA561
VAN706
EDM985
CGY1221
SJS317
LAK671
ANH705
VGK674
AZ1857
COL322
DAL823
WPG332
MIN91
CHI238
STL446
NSH505
sum58984556
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Thanks for putting that together.

Seems like its best to bump Arizona to the Central assuming a Seattle expansion.

At least it's not like what the NBA did with the Vancouver Grizzlies - putting them in the Mid-West vs. the Pacific.

In terms of re-alignment, I wouldn't stop at SEA/ARZ.

I've never liked the make-up of the Atlantic division with the 2 Florida teams cut off from the rest of the division and I still feel 3 teams in one market is too much.

I'd make the following changes

Atlantic renamed Northeast
DET CLM TOR BUF OTW MTL BOS NJD
(I'll come back to NJD and how this impacts).

Metropolitan renamed Atlantic
NYR NYI PIT PHI WAS CAR TBL FLO

Games played

In your division
5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4 games
(This gets rotated annually)

Out of your division
2 games each

= 82

Dump wildcard and just go with top 4 division winners.

2 rounds in your division
Conf Finals
Cup Finals

Back to taking Jersey out of the NY Metroplex. Yes, it might cause some gasps but think of it this way:

You end up getting more exposure with visiting teams to the metro if one of the teams is in a different division (think Yankees and Mets). And, a lot of those visiting teams in the same division as Jersey will be well-established franchises (4 are O6 and one is almost 50 years old).

If you're in the New York Metroplex, you could theorectically see all the teams in the Northeast Divison 31 times a season. Yes, you would only get to see the Rangers and Isles 1x each a year in the Rock but gotta make sacrifices.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
And Key arena has closed its door as we know it for the last time. I won't miss that building.
it's only been Key since the 1995 renovation, tommy..... technically, it's always been Seattle Center Coliseum, otherwise why would they reference it as Key Arena at Seattle Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad