NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
it's only been Key since the 1995 renovation, tommy..... technically, it's always been Seattle Center Coliseum, otherwise why would they reference it as Key Arena at Seattle Center

They renamed it to key arena at Seattle center after the renovations. 95 renovations made it impossible to house a NHL team and cost us the NBA team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
They renamed it to key arena at Seattle center after the renovations. 95 renovations made it impossible to house a NHL team and cost us the NBA team.
and in essence, here's the reverse of 1995, it will always be Seattle Center Coliseum no matter the naming rights sponsorship

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
No kidding. No matter what is called I will not miss that building that current exists today. That building prevented us from having a NHL team and cost us our NBA team.
but the new building sits on the same site, how did it prevent Seattle from achieving either, tommy, if the main reason for the current renovation is to acquire an NHL Franchise AS a result

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
but the new building sits on the same site, how did it prevent Seattle from achieving either, tommy, if the main reason for the current renovation is to acquire an NHL Franchise AS a result

Sigh. I am talking about the CURRENT building that currently existed right now. Not what it would look like 2 years from now. I mean now.

The building now is not designed to house a NHL team and was way way too small to meet the current standards specs of the NBA. We lost the NBA team cause of the building was too small and the team wasn't making money. We couldn't get a NHL team cause key arena was intentionally designed to not be able to house a NHL team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sigh. I am talking about the CURRENT building that currently existed right now. Not what it would look like 2 years from now. I mean now.

The building now is not designed to house a NHL team and was way way too small to meet the current standards specs of the NBA. We lost the NBA team cause of the building was too small and the team wasn't making money. We couldn't get a NHL team cause key arena was intentionally designed to not be able to house a NHL team.

TOTALLY DISAGREE, THE Sonics never left because of the arena, tommy, it's because OKC had shown that they could run a franchise successfully, there wasn't any chances of bringing an NHL or other hockey franchise because there was no ownership willing to attempt that proposition.... why did Key have hockey configuration seating capacity then if it wasn't designed to.... that's why the current renovations are being done the way they are being incorporated and why KASC is a historic site... there were no previous teams willing, and even they referenced Sacramento's contract in 2013, to even try to restore the Sonic brand, the Sonics history/exit, in a way, blocked any attempts to interest either league until recently

Last edited:

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
In terms of re-alignment, I wouldn't stop at SEA/ARZ.

I've never liked the make-up of the Atlantic division with the 2 Florida teams cut off from the rest of the division and I still feel 3 teams in one market is too much.

Back to taking Jersey out of the NY Metroplex. Yes, it might cause some gasps but think of it this way:

You end up getting more exposure with visiting teams to the metro if one of the teams is in a different division (think Yankees and Mets). And, a lot of those visiting teams in the same division as Jersey will be well-established franchises (4 are O6 and one is almost 50 years old).

If you're in the New York Metroplex, you could theorectically see all the teams in the Northeast Divison 31 times a season. Yes, you would only get to see the Rangers and Isles 1x each a year in the Rock but gotta make sacrifices.

The TB/FLA with the "Adams" thing is financial. If you look at attendance by opponent, the teams that draw the worst are "new franchises." FLA/TB/CAR all have no rivalries with anybody at all. No one's really going "oooh, TB/FLA/CAR/CBJ is coming to town!" Breaking up CAR/CBJ and TB/FLA is a good idea, so they have 5 teams people want to see coming to town in division. Gives them higher attendance.

I personally agree with the concept of splitting teams like MLB has one NY-CHI-LA-Bay Area team in each league, and think the NHL would be wise to follow suit for financial reasons. I also think playing everyone in the league twice is a very stupid idea. Create the best TV package possible to sell to the 32 markets and national packages.

This is also the reason I think VGK should be in the Central instead of Arizona.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The TB/FLA with the "Adams" thing is financial. If you look at attendance by opponent, the teams that draw the worst are "new franchises." FLA/TB/CAR all have no rivalries with anybody at all. No one's really going "oooh, TB/FLA/CAR/CBJ is coming to town!" Breaking up CAR/CBJ and TB/FLA is a good idea, so they have 5 teams people want to see coming to town in division. Gives them higher attendance.

I personally agree with the concept of splitting teams like MLB has one NY-CHI-LA-Bay Area team in each league, and think the NHL would be wise to follow suit for financial reasons. I also think playing everyone in the league twice is a very stupid idea. Create the best TV package possible to sell to the 32 markets and national packages.

This is also the reason I think VGK should be in the Central instead of Arizona.

Why in the heck would they move Vegas? Vegas is pacific time zone. Arizona is mountain zone that doesn't follow daylight savings.

They aren't going to move Vegas.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

I believe you cannot move or realign an expansion team, once the alignment was announced.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
it's fact, not meaningless, AF24, how would u feel if Fiserv.Forum WAS STILL REFERENCED AS EITHER THE MECCA or the Bradley Center, SEE HOW THAT BACKFIRES ON Milwaukee fans

Considering you're comparing the same building in Seattle and 3 different buildings in Milwaukee, your comparison fails at every conceivable level.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Why would you believe that?

It all comes down to what nefarious deals and promises the BoG has worked out behind the scenes.
WASN'T IT THE BALANCE between where Vegas wanted to be, how would it have fit or been played if they were in the Central, WOULD'VE that have changed anything that has occurred since?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
TOTALLY DISAGREE, THE Sonics never left because of the arena, tommy, it's because OKC had shown that they could run a franchise successfully, there wasn't any chances of bringing an NHL or other hockey franchise because there was no ownership willing to attempt that proposition.... why did Key have hockey configuration seating capacity then if it wasn't designed to.... that's why the current renovations are being done the way they are being incorporated and why KASC is a historic site... there were no previous teams willing, and even they referenced Sacramento's contract in 2013, to even try to restore the Sonic brand, the Sonics history/exit, in a way, blocked any attempts to interest either league until recently

This has nothing to do with OKC. Nothing to do with them. Don't bring OKC into it.

Key arena is 364k square feet. The smallest NBA venue in the league. The reason why there was a hockey configuration, the WHL thunderbirds used to play there. They moved to kent wa cause Key arena is terrible for hockey. Its basically brooklyn's arena but smaller.

The sonics left cause Key arena was no longer any good for the NBA and it wasn't making the team any money. It has nothing to do with success of OKC. It was always 100% about the building.

Chrdanhutch, you do not live here. You don't not understand.

The reason why key arena is being redone cause someone figured out a way to redo key arena while keeping the roof line intacted and addressing the actually problems of key arena.

Its too small, ice rink is off centered, Only 1 loading bay.
Terrible sight lines for hockey. Not enough Concession stands in order for the team to make money. It was a one venue only arena that was design to lose money in the long run.

For pity sake watch sonicsgate if you want to understand the whole reasoning behind why the sonics left. Some of the Sonics fans are still very very upset over what happened 10 years ago.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This has nothing to do with OKC. Nothing to do with them. Don't bring OKC into it.

Key arena is 364k square feet. The smallest NBA venue in the league. The reason why there was a hockey configuration, the WHL thunderbirds used to play there. They moved to kent wa cause Key arena is terrible for hockey. Its basically brooklyn's arena but smaller.

The sonics left cause Key arena was no longer any good for the NBA and it wasn't making the team any money. It has nothing to do with success of OKC. It was always 100% about the building.

Chrdanhutch, you do not live here. You don't not understand.

The reason why key arena is being redone cause someone figured out a way to redo key arena while keeping the roof line intacted and addressing the actually problems of key arena.

Its too small, ice rink is off centered, Only 1 loading bay.
Terrible sight lines for hockey. Not enough Concession stands in order for the team to make money. It was a one venue only arena that was design to lose money in the long run.

For pity sake watch sonicsgate if you want to understand the whole reasoning behind why the sonics left. Some of the Sonics fans are still very very upset over what happened 10 years ago.
disagree, and that's not why.....uh, multitude of arenas still have 1 loading bay....tommy, Cross faced the same issues multiple times before it was renovated and still has 1 loading bay just because of where the arena is located, just as Seattle does

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
disagree, and that's not why.....uh, multitude of arenas still have 1 loading bay....tommy, Cross faced the same issues multiple times before it was renovated and still has 1 loading bay just because of where the arena is located, just as Seattle does

Again you don't live here. I do. I know what the major problems are with Key arena.

There is a reason why the major music bands avoid seattle they don't want to deal with the single loading bad to get in and out. It was never designed to last. The sonics at the time intentionally design the arena to never work long term. Its the NBA own fault.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Again you don't live here. I do. I know what the major problems are with Key arena.

There is a reason why the major music bands avoid seattle they don't want to deal with the single loading bad to get in and out. It was never designed to last. The sonics at the time intentionally design the arena to never work long term. Its the NBA own fault.
they're doing the same thing here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad