NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
My thoughts on realignment are this. I think Seattle would want Calgary and Edmonton in the same division because of money at the gate. If anyone here has ever been to a Mariners/Blue Jays game in Seattle you'd understand how well Canadians travel to the Seattle area. I don't think you'd see anything close to this from Colorado or Arizona.
I've lived in the Seattle area for a little while now, and I've yet to see a Canadian plate from a province other than BC.

Now, there's definitely a ton of BC plates up here, but I'm guessing the BC folks that come to Seattle for Jays games (or just visiting/shopping/living in Seattle in general) aren't as interested in Edmonton or Calgary hockey games as they are in Jays games.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Tank, your mileage research is admirable commitment, but from which city you'd be flying from to play any given opponent is borderline random from year to year.

The number of times you play the opponent also changes. It's a difference of 4 vs usually 3, sometimes 2.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I've lived in the Seattle area for a little while now, and I've yet to see a Canadian plate from a province other than BC.

Now, there's definitely a ton of BC plates up here, but I'm guessing the BC folks that come to Seattle for Jays games (or just visiting/shopping/living in Seattle in general) aren't as interested in Edmonton or Calgary hockey games as they are in Jays games.
That's because Albertans fly in.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Heard Dave Tippet on Primetime Sports last night. Was surprised how little hockey sheets there for such a large city. Was also surprised they are only adding 3 sheets when they build the new facility. Usually find you build in 2's in new facilities which seems cheap to me?

Kodi

Jun 24, 2013
That's because Albertans fly in.
Agreed, I take light rail to those games and the light rail cars from the airport area are filled with Blue Jays fans staying at hotels by the airport.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Heard Dave Tippet on Primetime Sports last night. Was surprised how little hockey sheets there for such a large city. Was also surprised they are only adding 3 sheets when they build the new facility. Usually find you build in 2's in new facilities which seems cheap to me?

Once the hockey team comes, don't be surprised if more community rinks show up.

You have to consider available space for the building itself.

Per plans, 2 of the NHL ice rinks will be for the community one will be restricted for NHL team only. All of the ice rinks we current have are outside of Seattle.

Last edited:

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Once the hockey team comes, don't be surprised if more community rinks show up.

You have to consider available space for the building itself.

Per plans, 2 of the NHL ice rinks will be for the community one will be restricted for NHL team only. All of the ice rinks we current have are outside of Seattle.

The rinks that I know of are in Everett, Mountlake Terrace, Renton, Kent and Kirkland (if that one still even exists up there). Not very many rinks, yes. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Oak View looks at an approach similar to that of the Stars in them building multiple facilities of this type going forward. The Mariners back in the 80's IIRC participated in the building of youth baseball fields - there's one of those still in operation in Carnation along SR 203. So you might see something like this from Oak View to help promote the sport's growth.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I want to correct myself of the 3 rinks one is restricted for the NHL team for 4 hours.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

two practice facilities?

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Heard Dave Tippet on Primetime Sports last night. Was surprised how little hockey sheets there for such a large city.

Anybody know what that number is for the Seattle area now, exactly?

Once the hockey team comes, don't be surprised if more community rinks show up....All of the ice rinks we current have are outside of Seattle.

For the sake of comparison, when I came to Arizona from Orlando in 1994, the area had 3 sheets available for use (and an IHL team). That number went up to 8 by 2000, and currently I believe that number stands at 11. There will be one or two more in 2020 with the completion of ASU's facility.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

For the sake of comparison, when I came to Arizona from Orlando in 1994, the area had 3 sheets available for use (and an IHL team). That number went up to 8 by 2000, and currently I believe that number stands at 11. There will be one or two more in 2020 with the completion of ASU's facility.

To answer your question like i said there isn't any community ice rinks in Seattle city limits. All of them are out side of Seattle city limits.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA

Existing rinks from North to south

Everett - 2 (1 everyday use, 1 stadium use (limited public availability). Where WHL Silvertips play & practice
Lynnwood - 1
Mountlake Terrace - 1 Olympic size for skating & hockey but no public use. Where UW plays now.
Shoreline - 2 (1 small & 1 regular). 1 locker room for entire facility. not even used by main rec hockey league
Kirkland - 1
Renton - 2 (1 small & 1 regular)
Kent - 2 (1 everyday use, 1 stadium use (limited public availability)Where WHL Thunderbirds play.
Spanaway - 1
Tacoma - 1 (2 in 2019).
Bremerton - 1

Total sheets in metro area: 14 overal
Sized: 1 Olympic, 11 NHL, 2 small
Of 12 NHL/Olympic - 2 are stadiums so not really available either and area concerts. trade shows, other setups for most of the year So really only 10 regular hockey playing sheets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Old Man

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Existing rinks from North to south

Everett - 2 (1 everyday use, 1 stadium use (limited public availability). Where WHL Silvertips play & practice
Lynnwood - 1
Mountlake Terrace - 1 Olympic size for skating & hockey but no public use. Where UW plays now.
Shoreline - 2 (1 small & 1 regular). 1 locker room for entire facility. not even used by main rec hockey league
Kirkland - 1
Renton - 2 (1 small & 1 regular)
Kent - 2 (1 everyday use, 1 stadium use (limited public availability). Where WHL Thunderbirds play.
Spanaway - 1
Tacoma - 1 (2 in 2019)
Bremerton - 1

Total sheets in metro area: 14 overal
Sized: 1 Olympic, 11 NHL, 2 small
Of 12 NHL/Olympic - 2 are stadiums so not really available either and area concerts. trade shows, other setups for most of the year So really only 10 regular hockey playing sheets.

Fixed that for you. Excellent summary though. I’m holding out hope that this spurs future arena development in Olympia too.

Reactions: tank44

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Fixed that for you. Excellent summary though. I’m holding out hope that this spurs future arena development in Olympia too.

Olympia/East Pierce/South King County could definitely use a rink.

This StarCenter rink setup the Stars have with the multiple rinks in the DFW metro would I think be a real good idea for Oak View. A lot of areas around the region can use a rink. Here's what I think such an arrangement could entail for NHL/Seattle:

Your main rink in Northgate
Satellite rinks in the following locations: Everett/Lynnwood around Highway 99, Monroe (for the east Snohomish area, fast growing so there'd be usage), Bellevue/Redmond/Issaquah, Bothell/Woodinville, Renton, Kent/Auburn/Federal Way, Tacoma, Puyallup/Sumner (east Pierce area), and if you want to go far, far out, Lacey, Mount Vernon and Bellingham. Oak View could schedule practices perhaps once or twice a season in all of these venues and open those to the public.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I wanted to say that someone wanted to bring some ice in South Seattle, thinking White Center. Bellevue could also use Ice.

A facility in Tukwila/Renton near Long Acres, would be close to mass transit and you have the space and municiple interest to get that done quickly.

Another in Auburn near the Outlet Collection/Movie Theater would also be ideal, lots of space, Centralish location for Kent, Sumner. Access to a major freeway.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
oops. my bad... I know better... I realized I didnt include the Tbirds and was at the Tacoma line item and just didnt go back.. Tacoma - former home of WHL Rockets and no idea if they ever allowed public hockey/skating in the Dome. Assume No. We did have some random 1-off games playing hockey at Key arena but usually were fundraisers before a T-birds game when they were still in Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->