NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I've seen some name ideas like Kraken, Sockeyes, Steelheads, Spartans, Emeralds, etc. What names do you guys like? How about colors? I'd like to see Seattle use the Supersonics colors with the green/yellow combo too. Also AHL team info. I think they'll probably go with a California location like Sacramento, Fresno, or Oakland. But maybe somewhere like Portland, Spokane, or Boise would be better locations.

I think the emeralds is a name linked with either Spokane or Tacoma if I am not mistaken

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't see how you pick something different than the Seattle name that's already on the Stanley Cup.

Because you should be picking something that’s both marketable and relevant to the city. Not just one or the other. Metropolitans is not a marketable name in 2018.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I've seen some name ideas like Kraken, Sockeyes, Steelheads, Spartans, Emeralds, etc. What names do you guys like? How about colors? I'd like to see Seattle use the Supersonics colors with the green/yellow combo too. Also AHL team info. I think they'll probably go with a California location like Sacramento, Fresno, or Oakland. But maybe somewhere like Portland, Spokane, or Boise would be better locations.
You can never go wrong with spartans, fantastic handle................sockeyes I like also.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I don't see how you pick something different than the Seattle name that's already on the Stanley Cup.

I don't see why a team that won the Stanley Cup over 100 years ago when the NHL hadn't even been founded yet has any bearing on what a team should be named now.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I don't see why a team that won the Stanley Cup over 100 years ago when the NHL hadn't even been founded yet has any bearing on what a team should be named now.

It is the same Stanley Cup NHL or not. Almost makes it more significant in a way. That being said not a big fan of Metropolitans. I like the Pilots personally.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans

#1 - The Ottawa Senators say hello.
#2 -I just think it the "vintage" aspect of it would work really well in a city like Seattle.

You can design a jersey and logo which doesn't have a direct visual depiction of the nickname (Columbus says hi. St. Louis and Montreal as well)

Plus, this would look really sweet hanging in the arena....

attachment.php

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It is the same Stanley Cup NHL or not. Almost makes it more significant in a way. That being said not a big fan of Metropolitans. I like the Pilots personally.

You want to name them after a baseball team that lasted one season before packing up and leaving town?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
#1 - The Ottawa Senators say hello.
#2 -I just think it the "vintage" aspect of it would work really well in a city like Seattle.

You can design a jersey and logo which doesn't have a direct visual depiction of the nickname (Columbus says hi. St. Louis and Montreal as well)

Plus, this would look really sweet hanging in the arena....

attachment.php

I believe that Seattle should pay homage to the Metropolitans by hanging the banner you attempted to attach a picture of and possibly in other ways. There’s no need to steal the name like the Senators and Jets did.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I believe that Seattle should pay homage to the Metropolitans by hanging the banner you attempted to attach a picture of and possibly in other ways. There’s no need to steal the name like the Senators and Jets did.

What's there to steal? This isn't like it was some other city named Metropolitans.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
To many Sonic's Tributes Could be a Mistake the NHL should be something New that the locals can embrace not a memorial to a defunct team

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Once NBA comes back to Seattle they'll be Seattle SuperSonics.

Reactions: Js96er

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
What's there to steal? This isn't like it was some other city named Metropolitans.

Agreed. That's not "stealing a name" when it's YOUR CITY'S FORMER NAME.

Baltimore Orioles, Chicago White Sox, California/Los Angeles Angels, Miami Marlins, San Diego Padres, Washington Nationals; Charlotte Hornets, Winnipeg Jets, Ottawa Senators, Vancouver Canucks; Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns are all the second iteration of a team with that name in that cities in the same sport,

While Denver Broncos, Colorado Rockies, New York Giants and Seattle Seahawks are second iterations of team nicknames previously used by teams in that city but not that same sport.

It's not crazy to say "they should use an old name" when 13 percent of MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL teams are using a nickname a different franchise in their city had used before.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Agreed. That's not "stealing a name" when it's YOUR CITY'S FORMER NAME.

Baltimore Orioles, Chicago White Sox, California/Los Angeles Angels, Miami Marlins, San Diego Padres, Washington Nationals; Charlotte Hornets, Winnipeg Jets, Ottawa Senators, Vancouver Canucks; Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns are all the second iteration of a team with that name in that cities in the same sport,

While Denver Broncos, Colorado Rockies, New York Giants and Seattle Seahawks are second iterations of team nicknames previously used by teams in that city but not that same sport.

It's not crazy to say "they should use an old name" when 13 percent of MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL teams are using a nickname a different franchise in their city had used before.

The Toronto Maple Leafs should likely be inluded in the second group, as it seems likely that Smythe stole the name from the Toronto International League baseball team. And don’t forget the Montreal Allouettes — that’s a ridiculous mess.

Other than being based in the same city, the newer teams have nothing to do with the older teams. The reuse of an older name just feels lazy to me and in my opinion makes sports fan look like simpletons — gosh, maybe no one will know it’s a Winnipeg NHL team if it’s not named the Jets. Or perhaps, they’re simple delusional and want to pretend that their former team never left - especially when the former team still exists. To me, the only way a current Winnipeg team should have had the name Jets was if the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes had moved back to the city.

But I guess it depends on how you view spots teams. I view them as corporate entities that happen to be based in a particular city. And a newer team is different corporate entity. Air Canada is not a different company beige it is now based in Toronto instead of Montreal. Others take the more romantic view that the teams are some sort of community trust. A view that strikes me as being as delusional as the view that the Olympics used to be for amateurs because they wanted some kind of purity of sport as opposed to a way of restricting the event to the aristocratic class.

But I’ve never understood naming children after relatives either. And one of the creepiest things I’ve ever heard of is that my grandparents had son who they named David James and who died shortly after birth. A few years later, my father was born and rather than giving him a new unique name, they simply reused David James. A new baby, like a new sports team, is a new entity that should be given a new name as opposed to saddling it with the name of some previous entity.

And don’t get me started on the whole NBA and NFL garbage of giving away a franchise’s records to a completely different entity.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
You want to name them after a baseball team that lasted one season before packing up and leaving town?

No I like a name that fits the area not only for the aerospace aspect but also the history of the ferry system of the sound. Pilots not only fly planes but were the so called captains of the ferries I believe. Wider focus on a name than just sports history!!

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
No I like a name that fits the area not only for the aerospace aspect but also the history of the ferry system of the sound. Pilots not only fly planes but were the so called captains of the ferries I believe. Wider focus on a name than just sports history!!

It’s still the same name as a failed Baseball team. Seattle has already had at least two sports teams named for the aviation industry (Pilots and SuperSonics) and one could argue that the Sounders name pays tribute to all aspects of Puget Sound, including ferry pilots, so that would be two for aviation and one for ferry boats. Maybe they should name the team Seattle Ferries? :sarcasm:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

I don't think that Pilots would necessarily be off-limits just because of a team that nobody remembers. And, to be fair, the Maple Leafs are named after a long forgotten baseball team as well, and nobody really has an issue with that one.

Toronto Maple Leafs (International League) - Wikipedia

I kind of doubt that "Pilots" is even on their radar, though.

Reactions: MaxGeno60
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad