NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Prediction: You're both incorrect. Seattle starts in 2020 in Pacific. Edmonton and Calgary to Central.

Or Coyotes move to central division.

Edmonton and calgary and colorado all travel time/cost will get increased. And that is not something the NHL will want to do or the teams themselves will approve of.

Reactions: Llama19

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Think about time zones.

Colorado is more closer to the central teams than they are of the pacific teams. It would be stupid to move them to pacific force Colorado to travel longer distance. and as well as force Edmonton and category to travel longer distance.

Colorado is more east than the alberta teams. It makes no sense what so ever.

Its not about time zones it all bout travel costs for divisional games. Colorado is basically centered in terms of its other divisional teams.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Or Coyotes move to central division.

Edmonton and calgary and colorado all travel time/cost will get increased. And that is not something the NHL will want to do or the teams themselves will approve of.

(well, Colorado, ehhhh...but...)

Time will tell, as many on here like to repeat ad nauseam, but league seems to think east-west time zones are as important if not more than a couple of hundred miles north-south. Witness Nashville in WC, CBJ and Detroit in EC (and constant reminders from Red Wings fans that they're not returning to WC even if Quebec/GTA 2 got team #32...which BTW is apparently not happening). And Arizona spends more months in the Pacific zone than do Edmonton and Calgary.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Arizona is in Mountain Time zone for the majority of Hockey Season.

And the Flames and Oilers are in the Mountain Zone for all of Hockey Season, including playoffs. I'm merely pointing that there are multiple solutions to this, irrespective of what people believe. If my solution isn't your favorite, that's fine.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

(well, Colorado, ehhhh...but...)

Time will tell, as many on here like to repeat ad nauseam, but league seems to think east-west time zones are as important if not more than a couple of hundred miles north-south. Witness Nashville in WC, CBJ and Detroit in EC (and constant reminders from Red Wings fans that they're not returning to WC even if Quebec/GTA 2 got team #32...which BTW is apparently not happening). And Arizona spends more months in the Pacific zone than do Edmonton and Calgary.

here the current NHL map.
60f062af99c17c1167502415ddbbdc0a.png

the idea of switching the alberta teams and colorado is a very bad idea.

You are basically screwing 5 teams. Seattle, Vancouver, the alberta teams and colorado and making them have to travel further for divisional teams just so 1 team one team stays in pacific.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
You are basically screwing 5 teams. Seattle, Vancouver, the alberta teams and colorado and making them have to travel further for divisional teams just so 1 team one team stays in pacific.

but it's okay to make SJS, LAK, ANA, VGK, ARI - 5 teams - all go further, yes? Like I said, not as obvious as you might like to believe.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

Tommy,
My read off of that map is that Colorado would be totally neutral. The travel will be similar for them either way.
Vancouver, I think, is going to be SOOO happy to have Seattle that they won't even miss Calgary and/or Edmonton
Cgy/Edm are more concerned with each other than they are with Vancouver versus Winnipeg, so that's a wash.

Truthfully, I think that Time Zones would win out in this case, and you would have Edm/Cgy in the Central and AZ staying in the Pacific.

But, also, truthfully, the Arizona situation continues to be a concern to me. And, again, truthfully, who knows what's going to happen in Calgary, given that the team is apparently very upset with the city.

Too much can happen in the next 2 years to be predicting too many things right now. Including a work stoppage.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Also, for most on here, the fact that you get to talk about "who's going to be in our division?" has to be a nice conversation to be having. Even if you get to see McDavid in person a few fewer times.

I might be recalling the details incorrectly, but in the 80s, the group trying to bring Orlando into the NBA were told that there were going to be 3 new teams, likely Charlotte, Minnesota, and one of Miami or Orlando. Pat Williams, who became the GM of the Magic, got to announce their final decision something like this: "I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is, we have to wait until 1989, a year longer than Miami, to start playing. And now you know the good news."

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Glad this is finally happening. Looking forward to the process.

And with that, expansion closes for another 20 years.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My alignment thought is to move the Alberta teams to Central, add Colorado and Seattle to Pacific.

Why? Make Both Seattle vancouver and the alberta teams travel more just so coyotes can stay? It makes zero sense.

Perhaps the albertas want to be in pacific division since we are the closest US team to them.

Tweeting those tweet bettman basically said Seattle pacific Coyotes central with out saying it. Switching 3 teams around = massive realignment change imo.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Why? Make Both Seattle vancouver and the alberta teams travel more just so coyotes can stay? It makes zero sense.

Perhaps the albertas want to be in pacific division since we are the closest US team to them.

Tweeting those tweet bettman basically said Seattle pacific Coyotes central with out saying it. Switching 3 teams around = massive realignment change imo.

Disagree, again. Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it's what he meant.

Massive realignment: Something like the last round, with lots of teams switching places and conferences.
Simple change: Three teams or one. Either way.

Plus, I think Bettman is hedging because of Arizona and Calgary. It behooves all of us to just hold our horses and hats until we see what falls. No need to know the alignment until the schedule comes out.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I think this would kill the Yotes unless they get real good, real quick if they move to the central. Can they win in the central?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Because it makes far more sense geographically.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Because it makes far more sense geographically.

The whole alignment is all about receding travel distance and costs. You aren't reducing it you are increasing in for 5 teams. 5 teams just so 1 team stays in pacific.

Geographically Colorado should play in division and albertas pacific. Sorry but Coyotes are odd team out. It doesn't matter where coyotes play at. They aren't doing good financially now as it is.

NHL will do what's best interest in all its clubs not just one club. Coyotes = central.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The whole alignment is all about receding travel distance and costs. You aren't reducing it you are increasing in for 5 teams. 5 teams just so 1 team stays in pacific.

Geographically Colorado should play in division and albertas pacific. Sorry but Coyotes are odd team out. It doesn't matter where coyotes play at. They aren't doing good financially now as it is.

NHL will do what's best interest in all its clubs not just one club. Coyotes = central.

When Seattle would be the second closest flight for Alberta teams, why does it make more sense geographically to move the fuel brothers to the Central?

It makes a certain sort of time zone sense, but it's hardly geographically sound.

Many of us don't think that "Shorter flight costs through geography" is actually the point of the present alignment. Many of us think "As many games in the home time zone as possible, and none two time zones away" is the point of the present alignment.

To each their own. But, under the second idea, it's inconvenient to move Arizona to the Central. If Arizona were on Mountain Time all year long, I would agree. But, it's not.

And, again, let's wait and see what happens in between....

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
When Seattle would be the second closest flight for Alberta teams, why does it make more sense geographically to move the fuel brothers to the Central?

It makes a certain sort of time zone sense, but it's hardly geographically sound.

Why should the alberta teams be forced to travel more for divisional games just cause of 1 team? Nevermind why should Seattle and Vancouver have to travel to California/Arizona more just cause of 1 team.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Why should the alberta teams be forced to travel more for divisional games just cause of 1 team? Nevermind why should Seattle and Vancouver have to travel to California/Arizona more just cause of 1 team.

Why do you hate Arizona and Colorado, but love Calgary and Edmonton?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Its cause Seattle is closer to alberta than they are of California and arizona.

it makes no sense to move a team that's further east than alberta teams.

sorry but coyotes is odd team out. I don't hate them it just doesn't make sense. To do a massive shift like that and screw multiple teams.

There is no perfect alignment but why make it worse than it needs to be just cause of 1 team.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

No, no, it's a fair opinion. If I were Seattle or Vancouver, I would rather have Calgary and Edmonton in my division than Arizona and Colorado, too. I stopped and thought about it for all the western conference teams, and what they might prefer given the choice:

Seattle, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton - pretty obviously Calgary and Edmonton in the Pacific
San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Vegas, Arizona - pretty obviously Arizona and Colorado in the Pacific
Colorado - would think they'd rather be in the Pacific than the Central, given the only 2 teams always in their time zone will have to be in the other division. Choice between LAK/ANA/VGK/SJS/SEA/VAN and CHI/STL/DAL/NAS/MIN/WPG.
Winnipeg, Minnesota - would prefer Calgary and Edmonton in the Central, Arizona and Colorado in the Pacific
Dallas, St. Louis, Nashville - Calgary and Edmonton in the Pacific, Arizona and Colorado in the Central
Chicago - slight preference to Arizona and Colorado in the Central, if only because so many darn Chicago expats live in Arizona, but could go either way :D

So, I've got it that's 8-8, and like has now been mentioned by others besides me, the time zone situation does favor Colorado moving to the Pacific over the Albertans. At any rate, it's pretty clearly not "you're only screwing over 1 team if Arizona moves, but half the league if the Flames and Oilers move divisions".

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
No, no, it's a fair opinion. If I were Seattle or Vancouver, I would rather have Calgary and Edmonton in my division than Arizona and Colorado, too. I stopped and thought about it for all the western conference teams, and what they might prefer given the choice:

Seattle, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton - pretty obviously Calgary and Edmonton in the Pacific
San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Vegas, Arizona - pretty obviously Arizona and Colorado in the Pacific
Colorado - would think they'd rather be in the Pacific than the Central, given the only 2 teams always in their time zone will have to be in the other division. Choice between LAK/ANA/VGK/SJS/SEA/VAN and CHI/STL/DAL/NAS/MIN/WPG.
Winnipeg, Minnesota - would prefer Calgary and Edmonton in the Central, Arizona and Colorado in the Pacific
Dallas, St. Louis, Nashville - Calgary and Edmonton in the Pacific, Arizona and Colorado in the Central
Chicago - slight preference to Arizona and Colorado in the Central, if only because so many darn Chicago expats live in Arizona, but could go either way :D

So, I've got it that's 8-8, and like has now been mentioned by others besides me, the time zone situation does favor Colorado moving to the Pacific over the Albertans.

That's exactly what I mean. It's a 50/50 proposition. I can see that. You can see that. Everyone here can see that.

Except Tommy.

That why I think that his only idea is..."I get what I want, and as a Seattle fan, I want Calgary and Edmonton"

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That's exactly what I mean. It's a 50/50 proposition. I can see that. You can see that. Everyone here can see that.

Except Tommy.

That why I think that his only idea is..."I get what I want, and as a Seattle fan, I want Calgary and Edmonton"

You also got to think from the NHL perspective. Look at why Quebec didn't get team #32. Cause they didn't want to have 17 team in eastern conference nor would the NHL be willing to screw one of detroit/columbus just to get Quebec. Also it would be insane to have quebec in central.

NHL looks after all its franchises when making alignment changes and unfortunately there is no perfect alignment to satisfy everyone.

Another thing to consider we still don't know what the long term future is going to be for the coyotes in Arizona.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Coyotes already have one of the longest travel routes in the league (second to San Jose iirc) Take away their four closest cities and you’re only making it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad