NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Because there were "earliest the NHL could vote on Seattle would be Dec." stories.

I vaguely remember the same thing about Vegas in 2015... Vote could come at the next BOG meeting in December!. Then they announced they would discuss it, but not vote on it in Dec. And the vote was at the June BOG meeting.
Right, and that was a full year after the original "vote could happen in December" stories.

I've just seen the timeline and how it unfolded in Las Vegas. The fact that I'm in Seattle now and seeing it happen again just makes me wonder what's different here, especially if the waiver is an option.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So they can waive that condition to allow for demo/construction to start.

Are they currently waiting for the December meeting to occur without a vote prior to considering the waiver, or is the waiver coming up today if it requires council approval? In other words, will a waiver require council approval, or can the mayor/city manager/whoever, provide the waiver without the granting of the franchise?

Ignoring the fact that I saw this whole thing go down in Vegas and the timeline there, it seems like they're really putting a lot of unnecessary hurdles in front of the approval of moving dirt at KeyArena. That's not even considering the potential that the league might not want to publicly concede that Seattle is a thing that's happening and creating 23 more spots for the NHLPA while they're staring in the face of a potential lockout.

They can grant the waiver with a positive outcome with the NHL BOG exec committee. Its a non issue. The city is protecting itself and the project.

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
They can grant the waiver with a positive outcome with the NHL BOG exec committee. Its a non issue. The city is protecting itself and the project.

This. The mayor is joining Tod and company in NYC for the presentation... if she leaves feeling good, a waiver may not be far off.

Last edited:

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
Vegas got approved at the meeting 6 months after they and QC presented to the governors. Seattle is presenting at this coming meeting, yes?

The full BOG is not meeting in October. They are presenting to the nine-member exec. committee who will turn around and relay to a limited BOG that very same day in NYC. Bylaws require a full vote which wouldn't happen until December.

Of course, that can change.

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
Is December 7 and 8 the confirmed date for the Winter BoG meetings?

They're usually both mid week. December 8 is a Saturday this year.

I'm sure it won't be off by much. Saying that I do have some unused vacation time so could be a good place to use up a day.:yo:

Spoke with the league again this morning and still no date made public.. although, I was told it will be happening at the end of the first week in December so plan for the 7th. We most likely won't hear anything until a month or so in advance.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The full BOG is not meeting in October. They are presenting to the nine-member exec. committee who will turn around and relay to a limited BOG that very same day in NYC. Bylaws require a full vote which wouldn't happen until December.

Of course, that can change.
I'm not saying everything is the same between Las Vegas and Seattle, because Seattle is obviously a better market and this process is a little different. I'm just saying that, from the opinion of someone that's gone through both expansion processes while living in the actual locations of both, the coverage of the expansions, the planting of seeds of delay, the way the league operates, there's likely a lot to be gained from speaking with the people that have recently gone through it.

I know we're all pretty sure Seattle is "ahead" of Las Vegas at this point, but unless Seattle is a year and a half ahead, I wouldn't expect much in December unless this is operating on a completely different playbook than the last expansion. The absence of Quebec might make that the case. Excepting that, the differences don't even touch on the fact that Las Vegas' arena was to be ready much earlier in the timeline that Seattle's should be and there wasn't a looming labor stoppage while the Vegas thing was happening.

It doesn't matter to me either way, except that it would be nice to see the Knights live here in Seattle. I'm just advising very cautious optimism as the coming meetings approach. We (Las Vegas people) were sure every coming BoG/Executive Committee meeting was going to include a vote, until it didn't. It was a long year and a half, and if I can help you guys avoid that stress and stupidity, I'm happy to try.

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
unless this is operating on a completely different playbook than the last expansion.
It is.

Of course, this is the NHL and anything can and does happen. All I have to go off is info from speaking with the front office as well as our dicussions with the league and at this point they are both preparing for a full vote in December.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Vegas got approved at the meeting 6 months after they and QC presented to the governors. Seattle is presenting at this coming meeting, yes?

Yes. And a Full vote will be coming in December. I don't see the NHL dragging it on any longer. In fact there is a slim chance the full approving comes sooner. its all up to the full BOG.

Reactions: DougieMellon

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It is.

Of course, this is the NHL and anything can and does happen. All I have to go off is info from speaking with the front office as well as our dicussions with the league and at this point they are both preparing for a full vote in December.
Which is all we had to go off of, as well. The fact that you’re saying that reminds me of what we went through, since we heard the same thing.

Back when the Vegas hockey insiders circle was maybe 100 people deep including yours truly, we had the exact same messaging.

We’ll find out in December, and I’ll be here to eat my crow in December if it doesn’t go to the current plan. Again, I’m just advocating for very cautious optimism for December.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Your nice graph shows the difference between Quebec being ''deffered'' at 500M and Seattle being asked for 650M...in a way that Seattle could come next month with a 650M pricetag and Quebec could follow in two years with a 500M.

With expansion to Quebec being deferred, it has never been confirmed that the price would remain at $500M USD at a future date. However, even if that price was guaranteed, the cost to a prospective owner would currently be the equivalent of $647.6M CAD which may account for many believing that Quebecor does not want to move forward as they would be unable to justify the expense to their shareholders.

:jets

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
With expansion to Quebec being deferred, it has never been confirmed that the price would remain at $500M USD at a future date. However, even if that price was guaranteed, the cost to a prospective owner would currently be the equivalent of $647.6M CAD which may account for many believing that Quebecor does not want to move forward as they would be unable to justify the expense to their shareholders.

:jets
I assume they'd only need to come up with 51% of that, the question is whether they'd have enough people around and willing to pick up the other 49%. Quebecor's desire/ability to come up with the dough for outright 100% ownership has always been a question to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad