NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I assume they'd only need to come up with 51% of that, the question is whether they'd have enough people around and willing to pick up the other 49%. Quebecor's desire/ability to come up with the dough for outright 100% ownership has always been a question to me.

Issue is that the price just went up even more after Seattle joins in at $650mS US dollars

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Issue is that the price just went up even more after Seattle joins in at $650mS US dollars
There's no way to know that for sure until it comes up again, it's still the same issue though.

They're still a potential small market French Canadian team with a corporate owner and a duty to make predictable, regular profits for their shareholders.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There's no way to know that for sure until it comes up again, it's still the same issue though.

They're still a potential small market French Canadian team with a corporate owner and a duty to make predictable, regular profits for their shareholders.

I don't see NHL locking themselves out in 150m or even higher in addition fees.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I assume they'd only need to come up with 51% of that, the question is whether they'd have enough people around and willing to pick up the other 49%. Quebecor's desire/ability to come up with the dough for outright 100% ownership has always been a question to me.
if its only 51% then Quebecor should be all over that. 325m is not a lot these days.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I think the NHL was very specific about "deferred" and not "denied/rejected" the Quebec bid for this reason. Quebec bid on an NHL expansion team for $500 million. The NHL wasn't ready for Quebec for alignment/balance reasons.

I'm guessing the NHL is going to start flirting hard with Houston once we're reading "was year one of Seattle a success?" And Houston and Quebec will be in the NHL by 2030.

Of course, having said that, I'm guaranteed to be wrong.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
what exactly did council vote on? to begin construction of the renovated Key arena? who is paying for the arena? and have the various environmental challenges been resolved?

thanks.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
what exactly did council vote on? to begin construction of the renovated Key arena? who is paying for the arena? and have the various environmental challenges been resolved?

thanks.

It was the final approval of the arena project.

OVG is paying for the arena.

Yes all challenges have been resolved.

There are no more city/state hurdles in regards to the Arena project.

Reactions: GuelphStormer

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

thanks.

It was the final approval of the arena project.

OVG is paying for the arena.

Yes all challenges have been resolved.

There are no more city/state hurdles in regards to the Arena project.

SD is correct. Council was voting on the so-called "final transaction documents" on the project. Deal is now done from city's POV. Now the ball will be in the league's court next week and we'll see where it leads.

Seattle council approves $700 million KeyArena makeover

The article here from Daniels should give good information for you, Guelph, and I would also suggest to you and the rest of our friends north of the border that CD5 will probably be making appearances again over the next couple of days on sports radio shows in Canada, so if you listen to sports talk at all, there's a chance he'll be on. He'll be making announcements about appearances on his Twitter so this would be a good follow for those of you who don't currently follow him. I'd expect he'll also be on the ground in New York next week covering the Executive Committee meetings for KING 5 News so this resource will be a plenty good one to watch over the next several days.

Reactions: GuelphStormer

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
So what is the next step for the future franchise? (After demo/construction of a new arena) Would it be a season ticket drive to gauge interest?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
So what is the next step for the future franchise? (After demo/construction of a new arena) Would it be a season ticket drive to gauge interest?
Ticket drive already happened.
30,000 plus in 12 minutes.

Next step is to wait for the Seattle group to present their data/plan and wait for the BoG to get together and figure out the logistics of the expansion.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Its already a done deal that we will get a NHL team. NHL isn't going to say no. Its just following the rest of the league's expansion process. It just becomes a question of 20-21 season (assuming no lockout) or 21-22.

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018

There is a a lot that needs to be done. At this point though, the thing we should all be paying attention to is the October 2nd meeting with the exec. comm. in NYC....and the their meeting with the BOG later that day. A waiver from the city (the mayor will be present at the presentation) would be best case, but a December start date for demo DOES NOT eliminate a 2020 season.

Really the only thing holding up a 2020 season at this point is the potential lockout and major isses with construction.

OVG has all their ducks in a row (although some like to assume they don't) and are well prepared for the upcomming presentation.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Post script from yesterday's vote, courtesy of Aaron Levine. Twitter has blown up in disgust over comments this morning made during the pre-vote council comment period about the Sonics' departure by councilmember Juarez. A lot of the pro-NBA base is pissed to no end right now about these comments, so while I doubt this ends up meaning anything for NHL supporters in the end, this could be something to perhaps keep in the back of the mind moving forward in terms of how this will ultimately impact Oak View's efforts to bring the NBA back.

Juarez's comments in a nutshell, courtesy of Dave Mahler, KJR:

And yes, they were tone deaf but I think it stems back to what happened with the vote on SoDo street vacation and how people reacted to that. If there's something that should be let go of, it's Juarez and the councilmembers' feelings about that. She seems to hold the NBA crowd - which a lot of us pro-NHL people (yours truly included) are part of - in major disdain all because of the actions of a few blowhards. Shameful yes, but from this council, not a surprise. BTW, for those curious, there was one member absent from the vote yesterday - Mosqueda, who would have been a yes had she been there.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Those comments are not going to prevent a NBA team from coming here at all period. She's just getting annoyed by people going on and on and on about what happened 10 years ago. She wants people to move on and i don't blame her for being annoyed. We just got an arena approved thats shovel ready. There is nothing more the SCC can do about it. Its in the NBA hand now. She can't magically make the NBA give us team. Let's enjoy what we have right now which it the WNBA while we wait for the NBA. The WNBA is still not 100% fully appreciated by the fans which is one reason why she got annoyed.

The thing is some people are still having a hussy fit that SCC for not approving Hansen's arena plan and still believe that the NBA will never come to seattle to play at SCA and its all SCC's fault that they do not care about the NBA. That's all this is about.

Time to move and focus on the NHL giving us a NHL team this year and wait till the NBA is ready to give us our team back.

i feel like this thread should be talked about the NHL going forward given NBA is still several years away.

Last edited:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I may be a little behind...but $700M renovation cost ???

Holy... I guess Vegas and Quebec did a bargain having their (brand new) buildings cost $375 millions.

I saw Detroit cost 860+M. How did the cost double in under 5 years time ?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It wouldn't been as costly if they were able to tear everything down and rebuild ground up.
If my memory is correct back in the early 90’s during the ott and Tb round of expansion Seattle’s bid included a brand new arena at the current site of Key Arena. So, I believe 25 years ago they were ok blowing it up but now they aren’t.

Easily adding $1oo plus million in costs.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If my memory is correct back in the early 90’s during the ott and Tb round of expansion Seattle’s bid included a brand new arena at the current site of Key Arena. So, I believe 25 years ago they were ok blowing it up but now they aren’t.

Easily adding $1oo plus million in costs.

The roofline has now been destination as historic landmark. It can no longer be touched. 25 years ago it wasn't eligable to be considered historic landmark. Cause its deemd historic landmark, OVG has to dig 15 feet deeper in order to get a large enough foot print, that only added to the cost. On top of that they had to mitigate construction noise of removing all that dirt out of the project site which also added to the cost of the building.

Like i said it wouldn't be so expensive if it was built from ground up.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The roofline has now been destination as historic landmark. It can no longer be touched. 25 years ago it wasn't eligable to be considered historic landmark. Cause its deemd historic landmark, OVG has to dig 15 feet deeper in order to get a large enough foot print, that only added to the cost. On top of that they had to mitigate construction noise of removing all that dirt out of the project site which also added to the cost of the building.

Like i said it wouldn't be so expensive if it was built from ground up.
Just curious, a decade ago when the sonics wanted Renos to the Key, would it have qualified as historic at that time? It became a historical site recently iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->