NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
All sounds good for Seattle, once again that's a when not if situation.

I would think so, Tony, but as all of us here on the ground know, the devil in these things is usually in the details.

Should mention by the way that if I come across some information on attendance numbers for this past weekend's Bite of Seattle at the Center, I may bring those here as the attendance volume and resulting traffic impacts from that event are likely similar to what will be anticipated for game nights at the Key.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
All sounds good for Seattle, once again that's a when not if situation.

we know they are getting it

the problem is when

the problem for when is routed in the NHL and NHLPA getting on the same page and agreing to a new framework of a CBA

I do not see an expansion only to have a shutdown right away

the NHLPA can opt out September 2019 meaning a new CBA would need to be in place for the fall 2020 and the NHL can also opt out September forcing the issue

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

As shown here in this guy's Twitter photo, the NHL Seattle flag was on top of the Space Needle last night. Any ideas about what's up? Aaron Levine retweeted this so.....?????

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

OT, but I am posting this Daniels tweet from this morning as the Northgate site might be a possible location for this practice facility/offices the NHL group is looking at building. Have a look at the photo in the tweet and tell me if you think that based on this, this could be a possibility for up there. The mall by the way that is currently there is almost 60 years old now, one of the oldest I think in the entire country - for sure here in the Puget Sound area. With this in mind, now that this is out, wouldn't be surprised if the historical preservationists attempt to gummy this one up like they attempted to do at the Key with that garage.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I keep thinking that 2021 makes more sense than 2020 for the Seattle expansion. It allows more time for the arena work to be completed. And it gives the NHL and the players a year to get a new CBA done (assuming a 2019 opt out by one of the two parties).

Reactions: jhaf1210

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I keep thinking that 2021 makes more sense than 2020 for the Seattle expansion. It allows more time for the arena work to be completed. And it gives the NHL and the players a year to get a new CBA done (assuming a 2019 opt out by one of the two parties).

This is what I have been saying--expanding and having either another lost season or lockout right afterwards makes no sense

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is what I have been saying--expanding and having either another lost season or lockout right afterwards makes no sense
The nhl won’t announce expansion until after the September 2019 opt out deadline. It makes no sense to have an ED in June 2020 and have Seattle’s first game schedule in October and worry about whether that will get postponed due to a work stoppage.

They would push it back to 2021.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The nhl won’t announce expansion until after the September 2019 opt out deadline. It makes no sense to have an ED in June 2020 and have Seattle’s first game schedule in October and worry about whether that will get postponed due to a work stoppage.

They would push it back to 2021.

What in the world are you talking about. The NHL isn't going to delay expansion announcement of Seattle for another whole year. The team will be announced the moment the arena is finalized and ready for construction.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What in the world are you talking about. The NHL isn't going to delay expansion announcement of Seattle for another whole year. The team will be announced the moment the arena is finalized and ready for construction.
They can announce the team but I don’t think they set them to start playing until a cba is signed if the opt out clause is exercised.

Would be a huge killer for the buildup if the opening game gets pushed back.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
San Jose started in a season with no CBA, plus Ottawa and Tampa Bay's start date was set also despite labour uncertainty.

Worst case scenario I think Seattle will just play a partial season if there is a work stoppage. It's possible their start date gets delayed until 2021 but I doubt it will stop the Board from approving the franchise in the fall.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
San Jose started in a season with no CBA, plus Ottawa and Tampa Bay's start date was set also despite labour uncertainty.

Worst case scenario I think Seattle will just play a partial season if there is a work stoppage. It's possible their start date gets delayed until 2021 but I doubt it will stop the Board from approving the franchise in the fall.

Approving a team, definitely, the nhl will go ahead and announce it. Kind of kills the buzz when your first ever game could get delayed multiple times until a cba is ratified.

I don’t have much confidence that Fehr and Bettman will come to terms on a new cba without missing games if the opt out is exercised in sept 2019.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Approving a team, definitely, the nhl will go ahead and announce it. Kind of kills the buzz when your first ever game could get delayed multiple times until a cba is ratified.

I don’t have much confidence that Fehr and Bettman will come to terms on a new cba without missing games if the opt out is exercised in sept 2019.

and delay delay delay based something that has not yet to happen will kill interest too.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
So which players are exempt from expansion?

Players who haven't played in the ahl or NHL yet, and players whose first year was in the ahl or NHL last season, but played less than 7 games.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I understand that no one wants to see a team awarded FOLLOWED by a lockout/strike a few months, weeks down the road.

But lets be honest, NHL wants and must approuve Seattle before the end of 2021 season (and I would say much much earlier) because their US-TV deal expires with 2020-21 season. The league wants to cash in on Seattle and have it be part of the new TV deal because as long as the team is not confirmed, no network will ''pay'' for 25 US teams when there is no guarantee that team #25 is in. And given that the next deal will be a 5 years + in length, if they miss that, it's going to sting them for a long time.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
I understand that no one wants to see a team awarded FOLLOWED by a lockout/strike a few months, weeks down the road.

But lets be honest, NHL wants and must approuve Seattle before the end of 2021 season (and I would say much much earlier) because their US-TV deal expires with 2020-21 season. The league wants to cash in on Seattle and have it be part of the new TV deal because as long as the team is not confirmed, no network will ''pay'' for 25 US teams when there is no guarantee that team #25 is in. And given that the next deal will be a 5 years + in length, if they miss that, it's going to sting them for a long time.
can you/anyone guesstimate how much more/less a broadcast contract would be worth with:

a) Seattle in the league?
b) Houston in the league?
c) Phoenix not in the league?

I would suggest that we have gravely over-estimated the value of these cities having a franchise when it comes to this new broadcast contract. frankly, i dont think NBC/Netflix/Amazon/Fox/Whoever is willing to pay all that much more for any of these cities. the total contract value is not going to skyrocket from its current $200M/yr rate. ratings are down, people in the US dont watch hockey on TV (or stream or app or ...)

this has more to do with bettman's ego and his dream of having wide and deep inclusion than any realistic national broadcast revenues.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Dave Mahler from KJR is live tweeting the Oak View news conference which is going on right now. Follow him @softykjr if you want more info on the newser. Too busy dealing with Mariner trade deadline stuff to offer any comments at the moment so read and discuss.

UPDATE 11:44am

So I seriously have to add this in....Tommy or SD, your thoughts? Apparently, Bagshaw's down there asking questions about neighborhood impact. Seems as if this may mean she could be a problem for this at the Council level?

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Dave Mahler from KJR is live tweeting the Oak View news conference which is going on right now. Follow him @softykjr if you want more info on the newser. Too busy dealing with Mariner trade deadline stuff to offer any comments at the moment so read and discuss.

UPDATE 11:44am

So I seriously have to add this in....Tommy or SD, your thoughts? Apparently, Bagshaw's down there asking questions about neighborhood impact. Seems as if this may mean she could be a problem for this at the Council level?

I doubt it. Key arena is in her district. Remember it was 7-1 for the MOU. She voted yes for the MOU.

She's just doing her homework. She isn't going to say no to 700m redo of key arena and 650m for a team.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
I can't believe they designated that roof as a historical landmark. Probably added $150 million to the job by keeping that horrible looking roof as opposed to just a tear down and rebuild. What a waste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille