NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I can't believe they designated that roof as a historical landmark. Probably added $150 million to the job by keeping that horrible looking roof as opposed to just a tear down and rebuild. What a waste

Well that's how things are that roof has been around since 62. Its not a waste. You rather have nothing?

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Well that's how things are that roof has been around since 62. Its not a waste. You rather have nothing?
No, I'd rather the city looked at the roof and said "lets tear that eyesore down". Then Liewke can build from scratch.....which would have been $550 million instead of $700 million

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
No, I'd rather the city looked at the roof and said "lets tear that eyesore down". Then Liewke can build from scratch.....which would have been $550 million instead of $700 million

Its not going to happen, it was never going to happen. Someone would sue the city to force it to be historic landmark.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Dave Mahler from KJR is live tweeting the Oak View news conference which is going on right now. Follow him @softykjr if you want more info on the newser. Too busy dealing with Mariner trade deadline stuff to offer any comments at the moment so read and discuss.

UPDATE 11:44am

So I seriously have to add this in....Tommy or SD, your thoughts? Apparently, Bagshaw's down there asking questions about neighborhood impact. Seems as if this may mean she could be a problem for this at the Council level?

Nothing I’m hearing is giving me any pause whatsoever in the arena deal.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I can't believe they designated that roof as a historical landmark. Probably added $150 million to the job by keeping that horrible looking roof as opposed to just a tear down and rebuild. What a waste

Seattlelites are touchy about their historical buildings. Especially now.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Meh. It’s kind of a cool looking building.

Hiding a huge arena under some understated roofline seems very Seattle.

Reactions: uncleben

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Yay, further proof that arena location matters. The closer to downtown the better*.

*provided it is a hockey suitable arena

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yay, further proof that arena location matters. The closer to downtown the better*.

*provided it is a hockey suitable arena

The main reason why that 40% is 4 miles radius is cause of the amazon south lake union HQ. That wasn't there back when we still had the sonics.

There is no way the arena once construction is finished isn't a suitable arena for the NHL and NBA. Both have to sign off on it before construction can start.

j1012

Dec 8, 2014
I doubt it. Key arena is in her district. Remember it was 7-1 for the MOU. She voted yes for the MOU.

She's just doing her homework. She isn't going to say no to 700m redo of key arena and 650m for a team.
I can see her voting no, but only if it does not kill the project Expect a long speech on September 14th

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I can see her voting no, but only if it does not kill the project Expect a long speech on September 14th

Oh good god. She won't say NO. She made a big huge darn deal about Key arena being important enough to kill sodo arena but she won't say no to OVG's arena plan. That is her district.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Yes, Tommy, but why then would she go to the news conference and ask the questions publicly like that as opposed to perhaps setting up a behind-closed-doors meeting in her office with Oak View to ask those same questions?

The whole reason I think that tweet was noteworthy is because it appears to me that Bagshaw might be looking for a reason to torpedo it because the neighborhood perhaps is starting to get cold feet about the whole thing. Thoughts?

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

You're probably right about that, but as SD and Tommy have noted, the historical preservation is a big deal around here so that unfortunately is the cost of doing business. Let's not forget either the project also has to preserve the Bressi garage which is also within the redevelopment zone - this if you all remember is where that pottery school/shop is located.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Yes, Tommy, but why then would she go to the news conference and ask the questions publicly like that as opposed to perhaps setting up a behind-closed-doors meeting in her office with Oak View to ask those same questions?

The whole reason I think that tweet was noteworthy is because it appears to me that Bagshaw might be looking for a reason to torpedo it because the neighborhood perhaps is starting to get cold feet about the whole thing. Thoughts?

I think she just wants to show her constituents she is out in front of the process, more of PR to be there asking questions. I pretty much agree with Tommy that I can't see her voting no on this. The benefits for her area far out way any negatives.

No doubt she is having behind the scene discussions.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
The neighborhood is still on board and have been working with OVG on the arena impact. They have been working with them from the start. Bagshaw is in the bag.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

Or you know your constituents ARE getting cold feet, so you act like you're holding Mr. Big's feet to the fire and then, when the vote happens, you act like you fully vetted the thing before voting yes.

Of course, she could vote against, but I think I've offered a plausible possibility.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Or you know your constituents ARE getting cold feet, so you act like you're holding Mr. Big's feet to the fire and then, when the vote happens, you act like you fully vetted the thing before voting yes.

Of course, she could vote against, but I think I've offered a plausible possibility.

But she won't. Its her district and suddenly saying no to over 1.35b dollar investment is going to make her look bad to her voters.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
So which players are exempt from expansion?

Players who haven't played in the ahl or NHL yet, and players whose first year was in the ahl or NHL last season, but played less than 7 games.

Been said that the rules will be the as last time. But entire VGK organization is exempt (as they aren't getting any $$ from Seattle expansion).

2017 Expansion Draft

Teams must expose one goalie (signed through 2017-18, or QO'd RFA), plus one defenceman (who played 40+ games in 2016-17 or 70 in previous two seasons) signed through 2017-18, and two forwards (40/70 and signed). Teams can protect one goalie, three defensemen and seven forwards (or one goalie and eight skaters).

(Replace 17-18 with 20-21 or whatever first Seattle season is)

Players unsigned are exempt. Players with NMCs must be protected (unless player waives).

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Been said that the rules will be the as last time. But entire VGK organization is exempt (as they aren't getting any $$ from Seattle expansion).

2017 Expansion Draft

(Replace 17-18 with 20-21 or whatever first Seattle season is)

Players unsigned are exempt. Players with NMCs must be protected (unless player waives).

Thanks. Most interested in which prospects will need to be protected.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I've already seen attempts by fan sites of other teams try to figure out who they will protect/won't. It is kind of fascinating to look at. I know some were upset that Vegas did not have to offer up players, but they also don't get a expansion check either. Fans don't care about the check, but I'm guessing the teams do.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I've already seen attempts by fan sites of other teams try to figure out who they will protect/won't. It is kind of fascinating to look at. I know some were upset that Vegas did not have to offer up players, but they also don't get a expansion check either. Fans don't care about the check, but I'm guessing the teams do.

My guess is that VGK may selectively make some trades to take a few expose-able off the table.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010

Key arena is not a landmark. The city was open to tearing it down as recently as 2017 but then quickly nominated it for landmark status themselves so that they could give the developer an 80 million dollar tax break. No one gives a crap about that roofline. It only exists because of a perfect storm of politics, stupidity, and greed.

I'd say it is a massive waste. The tax break will certainly not cover the added construction costs and there will always be limitations to that site. Symbolically, that roofline will forever highlight all past and future negatives associated with that site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad