News Article: NHL to announce a 2 hub 24 team playoff, Edmonton & Toronto?

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
The way I understand it is that the top 6 teams in each division would make up the 24 team playoff(if it even happens).

This means we aren’t making the cut. Hawks are in 7th(last) place.

Sooooo what am I missing? Why do people think we’re making the playoffs under the 24 team format?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The way I understand it is that the top 6 teams in each division would make up the 24 team playoff(if it even happens).

This means we aren’t making the
cut. Hawks are in 7th(last) place.

Sooooo what am I missing? Why do people think we’re making the
playoffs under the 24 team format?

It's not divisions based. Hawks get in for being 12th in the western conference.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I know there's a lot to sort out, but it feels like we'll be in 2025 and Bettman will be deciding whether to finish the 2020 season.

Logistically this must be insane to organize with all the non-hockey variables at play here. I'm surprised it's happening at all to be honest

Reactions: hawksrule

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Looks like the Hawks are going to thread the needle WRT the draft and the playoffs. Hoping the league uses a 68 game baseline to determine draft order. If there was ever a year to move up one position, this is it.

As to the playoffs, I really like the idea of a 5 game round robin. And I love that we'll have Mitchell and De Haan (presumably) available.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Looks like the Hawks are going to thread the needle WRT the draft and the playoffs. Hoping the league uses a 68 game baseline to determine draft order. If there was ever a year to move up one position, this is it.

As to the playoffs, I really like the idea of a 5 game round robin. And I love that we'll have Mitchell and De Haan (presumably) available.
I'm fine with the round robin. I don't like it if they do the 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 0 starting points format. That's way too large of a cushion.

I'd prefer top 2 in each division are in then the remaining 8 in each conference are put in a bracket and do 3 or 5 game series.

Reactions: bwana63

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Im not too worried about moving up one position, even if it would be nice. Someone will make a pick before us that shocks everyone, and maybe we get a nice Stanley gif out of it again. :laugh:

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I'm fine with the round robin. I don't like it if they do the 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 0 starting points format. That's way too large of a cushion.

I'd prefer top 2 in each division are in then the remaining 8 in each conference are put in a bracket and do 3 or 5 game series.

Yeah, that proposed starting cushion is hot garbage. Just to be clear, am not opposed to a RS reward, but 10-8-6-4-2-0 is beyond the pale.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
Yeah, that proposed starting cushion is hot garbage. Just to be clear, am not opposed to a RS reward, but 10-8-6-4-2-0 is beyond the pale.
I get it though. Makes it pretty much a slam dunk for the top teams to advance and a long shot for the teams at the end to make it through. Like it would have been had the season continued normally. The Hawks would have needed a helluva run.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
I’m not in favor of the 24 team format for the Hawks if it means them not being in the draft lottery. The chances of this team making a serious run are pretty much zilch. I prefer the chance of moving up to get a better Player for the future is better for the team in the long run.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I’m not in favor of the 24 team format for the Hawks if it means them not being in the draft lottery. The chances of this team making a serious run are pretty much zilch. I prefer the chance of moving up to get a better Player for the future is better for the team in the long run.

I disagree. A playoff berth is ALWAYS preferable to sitting on the sidelines watching other teams compete..... for many reasons but mostly because the experience is invaluable (for the younger players especially). I think even the vets would love to get a taste of the playoffs once again. Wanting anything less is for quitters.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

giphy.gif

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I'm only in favour of a 24 team round if everyone has the same shot, none of this handicapping stuff to make it 'fair' for teams at the top of the standings in the round robin. That's pure BS. If there's anything like auto points for the higher finishing teams the Hawks should say screw it, we'll take our chances in the lottery.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I get it though. Makes it pretty much a slam dunk for the top teams to advance and a long shot for the teams at the end to make it through. Like it would have been had the season continued normally. The Hawks would have needed a helluva run.

But if they're setting it up to be a slam dunk for the top teams, how is it fair to ask the Hawks and Habs to train for weeks and risk injury and COVID when they have only a nominal shot? That's not fair either.

You can't predict how the season would have finished. This is not normal circumstances.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Whatever it is just make a f***ing decision already. States are pushing for sports to open, its going to happen no matter what some people think. Get your plan out there

Reactions: KWP

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
Ideally they get the chance for playoffs and keep the current draft lottery rules. However, I’m concerned that they will make the trade off to open up the playoffs for 8 teams but those teams lose a shot at the draft.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
I'm only in favour of a 24 team round if everyone has the same shot, none of this handicapping stuff to make it 'fair' for teams at the top of the standings in the round robin...

Can't agree, respectfully ... Unique circumstances here obv, but performance should be rewarded, I think the handicapping an acceptable format.
Good news / bad news for the lower seeded clubs, they get in but have to overcome higher seeded clubs' earned advantage. Should a long shot pull though they too will have "earned" their prize.

Btw, props on the brit "extra u" spelling - cooler than us yanks' I say.
Go "Weighted Advantage = 0" Hawks <--- Got 'em just where wher we want 'em. ;-)

Reactions: jls24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad