News Article: NHL to announce a 2 hub 24 team playoff, Edmonton & Toronto?

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
Per Friedman:

METROPOLITAN HUB: Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Islanders, Columbus

ATLANTIC HUB: Boston, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Florida, Montreal, Rangers (added as lowest seed from Metropolitan — Bruins are top-ranked in East, and should have that reward in their hub)

CENTRAL HUB: St. Louis, Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg, Nashville, Chicago (Blackhawks stay in Central because Blues are top-ranked in West)

PACIFIC HUB: Vegas, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Arizona, Minnesota

The first round “becomes” a five-game round robin — with a handicap by standings at arrival of the pause. Based on points percentage, the seeds could be given from 10 points (first) to 0 (sixth) at the start. If you think that’s too much, maybe go from five points to zero.

That way, every team that comes back gets a minimum of five games.

Top four move on to the next round, and decide if we’re dealing with best-of-five or best-of-seven from then on.”

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
I really like this idea. Long shot for the Hawks to make it past the first round (especially if they go 10-8-6-4-2-0 instead of 5-4-3-2-1-0), but I love this “outside the box” thinking.

Hawks will probably still pick 9th, but we’ll have a couple of meaningful hockey games to watch. And I think it’s fair to virtually guarantee the top teams to make it past the first round in that setup.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Awe crap, is this really gonna happen?

In 3 game series' anything is possible. I'd just look at the boys and say "Run and Gun, Blitzkrieg!!!" Cause we're not winning no chess-match grind'em hard playoff hockey type games.

I can't even believe this is the plan.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Awe crap, is this really gonna happen?

In 3 game series' anything is possible. I'd just look at the boys and say "Run and Gun, Blitzkrieg!!!" Cause we're not winning no chess-match grind'em hard playoff hockey type games.

I can't even believe this is the plan.
Musto is breaking zippers to just cut Mitchell loose for a run And gun playoff mess of mayhem

Reactions: deytookerjaabs

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Per Friedman:

METROPOLITAN HUB: Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Islanders, Columbus

ATLANTIC HUB: Boston, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Florida, Montreal, Rangers (added as lowest seed from Metropolitan — Bruins are top-ranked in East, and should have that reward in their hub)

CENTRAL HUB: St. Louis, Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg, Nashville, Chicago (Blackhawks stay in Central because Blues are top-ranked in West)

PACIFIC HUB: Vegas, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Arizona, Minnesota

The first round “becomes” a five-game round robin — with a handicap by standings at arrival of the pause. Based on points percentage, the seeds could be given from 10 points (first) to 0 (sixth) at the start. If you think that’s too much, maybe go from five points to zero.

That way, every team that comes back gets a minimum of five games.

Top four move on to the next round, and decide if we’re dealing with best-of-five or best-of-seven from then on.”

Man if we'd been flipped to the pacific we would have a better shot. Too bad Vegas didn't have more points than St. Louis. I can actually see Minnesota squeaking through to the next round.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Glasses JC is going to dominate and control the matchups.

3E04AFFD-C0F9-4076-92EA-8EBC25314E23.gif

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
i havnt read into anything on this. Does the 24 team tourny then determine our draft position? or is that set before the tourny starts?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
so the hawks are basically freerolling a 1% chance to make a random run in a tournament and keep their draft position regardless? huge fan of this idea now
Pretty much.

Shit changes constantly with this, but last I checked, it was looking like we had around 5% chance of moving to 5th, 11% of dropping to 10th, and an 84 or so percent chance at staying at 9th. And because the draft will happen before these games, we're guaranteed that top 10 pick no matter what.

If you were to tell me before the season started that we'd get a top 10 pick AND play long into the summer, I would've been ecstatic.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Pretty much.

Shit changes constantly with this, but last I checked, it was looking like we had around 5% chance of moving to 5th, 11% of dropping to 10th, and an 84 or so percent chance at staying at 9th. And because the draft will happen before these games, we're guaranteed that top 10 pick no matter what.

If you were to tell me before the season started that we'd get a top 10 pick AND play long into the summer, I would've been ecstatic.

Hopefully Mitchell signs and they send the Blues home in round 1...you'd love to see it...

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I know there's a lot to sort out, but it feels like we'll be in 2025 and Bettman will be deciding whether to finish the 2020 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad