News Article: NHL to announce a 2 hub 24 team playoff, Edmonton & Toronto?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Illinois cases = 133,016
Indiana cases = 39,146

Illinois population = 12,670,000
Indiana population = 6,732,000

Illinois cases = 1.05% of the population
Indiana cases = 0.5% of the population

So completely ignore the fact that Indiana is like 95% rural? :laugh:

Illinois population in Chicago metro area, a tightly compacted, very large city = 9,533,040.

Literally 75% of this state's population is in the Chicago metro area. And you're going to throw out Indiana as if it's some kind of shining example in comparison to Illinois? :laugh:

Indiana's largest city, Indianapolis, has less people in that metro area than the entirety of the rest of Illinois, outside of Chicago. :laugh:

What a ridiculous comparison. No logic in it, whatsoever.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Illinois population in Chicago metro area, a tightly compacted, very large city = 9,533,040.

Literally 75% of the state's population is in the Chicago metro area. And you're going to throw out Indiana as if it's some kind of shining example in comparison to Illinois? :laugh:

Indiana's largest city, Indianapolis, has less people in that metro area than the entirety of the rest of Illinois, outside of Chicago. :laugh:

What a ridiculous comparison.

The American public's illiteracy when it comes to statistics is mind-numbing. I've long felt that statistics should be a mandatory high school course.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The American public's illiteracy when it comes to statistics is mind-numbing. I've long felt that statistics should be a mandatory high school course.

100%.

I mean, if you take the ratios into account here... Indiana has been a massive failure in comparison to Illinois. Their numbers should be far lower, considering the make-up of that state.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Has the league said what they’ll do if a player tests positive after games have resumed?

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012

Literally 75% of this state's population is in the Chicago metro area. And you're going to throw out Indiana as if it's some kind of shining example in comparison to Illinois? :laugh:

What a ridiculous comparison. No logic in it, whatsoever.

Except of course the stats would indicate otherwise.
Indiana is 78% urban by population.
Illinois is 87%.

And yet we have 2x more cases than they do by population.

They've done better than we have.

Reactions: Crow

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Has the league said what they’ll do if a player tests positive after games have resumed?

Will probably just quarantine that person and hope for the best. Realistically, not only the player who tested positive should be quarantined, but everyone around him should also be quarantined. But that will never happen cause pretty much the whole team would be put in quarantine. The coaching staff as well would have to be put in quarantine. In addition , any players on other teams he potentially came into contact should be quarantined.

But as i said, that will never happen for obvious reasons.

The NHL will definitely have to just outright cancel the season if multiple players are starting to test positive.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Except of course the stats would indicate otherwise.
Indiana is 78% urban by population.
Illinois is 87%.

And yet we have 2x more cases than they do by population.

They've done better than we have.

:laugh:

This is such a disingenuous load of bullshit.

According to the 2010 census, it indicates Indiana is 72% urban, and Illinois is 89%.

Urban Percentage of the Population for States, Historical | Iowa Community Indicators Program

Not to mention, a huge chunk of their urban population is in relation to the major cities outside their state, like NW Indiana and Chicago, Southern Indiana and Louisville, and SE Indiana and Cincinnati.

80,000 people in Indiana in the Cincinnati Metro area.
820,000 people in Indiana in the Chicago Metro area.
300,000 people in Indiana in the Louisville Metro area.

And those are conservative estimates. I rounded down on most numbers.

1.2m people of their 6.7m are packed into three major metropolitan areas of other states. Another 1.8m people of their 6.7m are in the Indianapolis Metro area. That's nearly half of their population in the state in 4 major metro areas, with the rest being essentially rural. And you're going to argue it's as urban as Illinois, and they've done better? Try again.

Now include the other big chunk of their population that resides in like 4 other metro areas around the state.

Evansville - 300k
Fort Wayne - 415k
Lafayette - 200k
South Bend - 315k

It's a terrible comparison by you, and they're not doing better than we have. Just by a sheer numbers standpoint, Indiana having half the population, more spread out over the land, should have faaaaaaaaaaar better numbers than it does. Feel free to disagree, but you'd be wrong.

Anyone trying to argue Indiana is as urban as Illinois is out to lunch. It's a ridiculous argument to try and make, so I'm not sure why you're trying to make it.

Last edited:

Ace Card Bedard

Feb 11, 2012
Nobody said "as urban as Illinois."

I posted 78% and 87% respectively.
Obviously that's not "as urban" but it's close enough to determine that they've done a better job than we have.

Reactions: Crow

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Nobody said "as urban as Illinois."

I posted 78% and 87% respectively.
Obviously that's not "as urban" but it's close enough to determine that they've done a better job than we have.
Even your 78% and 87% aren't accurate according to the 2010 census data. It's 72% and 89%. And you ignore everything else about the make-up of that state, and where the people actually live... lol. Also take into account what actually qualifies as "urban". It's not close enough. Unless you're illogical, I guess. It's a terrible, dumb argument.

Ace Card Bedard

Feb 11, 2012
Even your 78% and 87% aren't accurate according to the 2010 census data. It's 72% and 89%. And you ignore everything else about the make-up of that state, and where the people actually live... lol. Also take into account what actually qualifies as "urban". It's not close enough. Unless you're illogical, I guess. It's a terrible, dumb argument.

I just did another search.
It's 78% and 89% according to the USDA-ERS.
That's 2019, not 2010.

Still close enough that the point stands.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I just did another search.
It's 78% and 89% according to the USDA-ERS.
That's 2019, not 2010.

Still close enough that the point stands.

Care to link your source? Even though it doesn't even matter. Lol.

The point doesn't stand...

Illinois - 136k cases. 6700 deaths.
Illinois case percentage based upon population: 1%
Illinois deaths based upon population: .05%

Indiana - 41k cases. 2500 deaths.
Indiana case percentage based upon population: .6%
Indiana deaths based upon population: .03%

Deaths per 100,000
Illinois: 52
Indiana: 37

Illinois, with double the people, is 9th in deaths per 100,000.
Indiana is 13th.

Then take into account that the Chicago Metro area accounts for 9.5m people out of the 12.5m people in Illinois. All those people compacted into that small area, during a pandemic, which spreads very easily from person to person. The largest metropolitan area in Indiana - Indianapolis, has like 2m people......

According to all that data, your conclusions are that Indiana has done substantially better than Illinois? :laugh:

Like I've been saying... it's a stupid argument to try and make. And one where you're wrong, and will continue to be wrong.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Tampa Bay just closed their practice facility. Couple players and some staff tested positive. Think this thing might be dead in the water.

Id be shocked if even a practice game between two squads was played. I just don’t see how you can get that many players, coaches, and staff from team staff to venue staff to hotel and kitchen staff there without any negatives tests.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I mean at this point 2020-21 is in jeopardy as well. I don't see how they can play with a disease that is this contagious around.

They will just have to reach a point that they accept this virus for what it is and decide to just pull people from rosters as they test positive or be prepared to go a loooooooong time without any games.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
They will just have to reach a point that they accept this virus for what it is and decide to just pull people from rosters as they test positive or be prepared to go a loooooooong time without any games.
I don't think pulling players is enough. It's contagious enough that 30-40% the entirety of sports leagues could get infected once 2 people do.

This is bad enough that we have far greater problems than sports.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don't think pulling players is enough. It's contagious enough that 30-40% the entirety of sports leagues could get infected once 2 people do.

Don’t get me wrong I agree, I just think that’s the only way a season of playoff could be attempted.

It would be really stupid to go about it that way.

I just don’t see how even in a isolated setting how they can get a couple thousand people to that spot all testing negative. By the time they find out someone has tested positive they’ve probably already spread it to others already there.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Don’t get me wrong I agree, I just think that’s the only way a season of playoff could be attempted.

It would be really stupid to go about it that way.
You'd have ECHL quality players getting NHL time. It's just not feasible.

We have far greater issues than sports currently.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I wonder how Matthews name was leaked. That's a real shitty invasion of his privacy.
Toronto media tabloid bullshit.
I'm pretty against privacy invasion in general and hate the tabloids with a passion.
If he has legal recourse, he should take it.

However, if they ever play we're going to know who has it based on absence and lack of apparent injury during the previous game. It's pretty easy to connect the dots.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm pretty against privacy invasion in general and hate the tabloids with a passion.

However, if they ever play we're going to know who has it based on absence and lack of apparent injury during the previous game. It's pretty easy to connect the dots.

True but there’s no certainty that they will play and that information wouldn't be visible for weeks.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

As far as legal action, what are his damages?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad