League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Not for an assistant coach. And Ted/Dick/the Caps have historically been stingy on the coaching budget.

I guess you are right. That's already highly evident in Forsythe and the gang which is the problem to begin with. :|

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Pretty sure if they fired him, he can take any gig without his FORMER employer being able to block a thing.

My understanding is that it’s common on those situations where any compensation he earns from the new team, the former simply would not pay him that amount against his old deal.

as with anything though.....any amount of dumb clauses could have been agreed on..so who knows?

also.....”a lot of rookie coaches are in the 2.5 range?”

link? Source? Find that surprising....

This is my understanding as well. If they fire him, he's 100% a free agent, they can't block any move he makes. They are on the hook for 100% of his remaining contract salary, so if for example he was getting $3M, and he takes a new job at $2M, Wild still owe him $1M, all pro rated of course.

Still, he ain't coming here to coach our PP, so those fantasies can be put to bed.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This is my understanding as well. If they fire him, he's 100% a free agent, they can't block any move he makes. They are on the hook for 100% of his remaining contract salary, so if for example he was getting $3M, and he takes a new job at $2M, Wild still owe him $1M, all pro rated of course.

Still, he ain't coming here to coach our PP, so those fantasies can be put to bed.
Here’s a recent 31 Thoughts talking about the coaching changes in Nashville/NJ/SJ.

31 Thoughts: How recent Stanley Cup champions approached trade deadline - Sportsnet.ca

8. It’s not hard to find reasons why Hynes was Nashville’s choice. The history with assistant GM Jeff Kealty. Poile’s closeness with Hynes’ former bosses in New Jersey, Ray Shero and Tom Fitzgerald, for a detailed breakdown. Poile has a loyalty to USA Hockey. There is, as with any situation where a coach is fired mid-contract, a financial factor, too. Peter Laviolette had next season remaining, at approximately $2.5 million. Peter DeBoer is above that number (the Predators never contacted San Jose for permission). Hynes, who had the same term in New Jersey as Laviolette had in Nashville, was just under $2 million. They have to pay all of Laviolette’s cash until he is hired elsewhere, and a chunk of Hynes’.”

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
But lets just say that Fehervary becomes the big dog many think he will be and McMichael a legit top end player? Lets say Samsonov is a legit Vezina level goalie. They will continue to compete unless you sell their future(salary cap management) for this playoffs.

Do you think rookie Fever and rookie CMM can be so impact that they improve the odds of winning?
Second year maybe?

If it's second year or later, you look at +2 years for Ovi, Oshie and Backstrom. Considering their state now it's significant. Ovi will be 37 years old almost, right?

Every year now is significant. Folks lose good abilities every year at that age. That will be the negative impact. The confidence and experience wont be any higher than it is now. So from now on every consecutive year will bring worse odds.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Do you think rookie Fever and rookie CMM can be so impact that they improve the odds of winning?
Second year maybe?

If it's second year or later, you look at +2 years for Ovi, Oshie and Backstrom. Considering their state now it's significant. Ovi will be 37 years old almost, right?

Every year now is significant. Folks lose good abilities every year at that age. That will be the negative impact. The confidence and experience wont be any higher than it is now. So from now on every consecutive year will bring worse odds.

Well, if I am saying the Caps will be cup competitive to the end of Ov's career and I am expecting Fehervary and McMichael to be top half of the lineup contributors to that, I am not saying I expect them to be that as rookies or 2nd year players. Thru their ELC they can be force multipliers as players that over perform their cap hits. That is critical to cap managing a winning team with star player contracts on it

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

If I were GMBM I’d be on the phone w Bruce. Talks some things out. If — as the GM — you felt good about the conversation, the you hire Bruce as a “consultant”, and he can leave if offered a full time gig anywhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino