League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If these are the prices then I'm fine with that.

A 3/4 D is gonna cost a fortune. I'd rather just go with Fehrevery or Djoos.

Of course you would. You always favor the youth move....but it’s pissing away a legit Cup shot. That is dumb. Period, the end.

Reactions: Heath

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Of course you would. You always favor the youth move....but it’s pissing away a legit Cup shot. That is dumb. Period, the end.

I thought I read earlier that the Caps aer a long shot now. I admit I am not up on Blake Coleman, but sounds like he is a 3c? McMichael and a 1st for Lars Eller?

Meanwhile Elliot Friedman is getting killed. He said only one guy for sale was worth a 1st.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn’t. This is maybe Ovi’s last chance to be a playoff force. All in for me. Within reason.

I’m somewhere shy of all in, but try to improve if it doesn’t mean giving up a stud prospect or 1st. Unless of course you can swing a core player addition.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I thought I read earlier that the Caps aer a long shot now. I admit I am not up on Blake Coleman, but sounds like he is a 3c? McMichael and a 1st for Lars Eller?

Meanwhile Elliot Friedman is getting killed. He said only one guy for sale was worth a 1st.

did I advocate any particular trade? Certainly not that guy.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

If they could get a player that legitimately moves the needle than I have no problem going all in. Don't care about the picks one bit but you have to be smart about it when it comes to the top prospects.

Blake Coleman doesn't move the needle. Of the forwards available I would only think Kreider does.

On defense, I would give up a decent amount for Petry, Martinez, Manson or Dumba, less for Dillon or DeMelo.

Jun 15, 2007

Coleman and Zucker aren't rentals, so Friedman hasn't been exactly been proven wrong.

Reactions: Marshall

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
A guy like Brodin will both help now and position Caps to resign him and have lots of years of service from him. So a price like 1st+Protas would be ok to me (because we have 3 centers already and CMM coming).

Anyway, demand/supply isnt that big to pay 2nd for... wait! It is!

PS: I guess we are getting into recycle bin soon enough. Kovy will be our guy too.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
It was a strange move by the Bolts because I don't think they needed more scoring, but Coleman seems to be valuable on the PK and with even strength scoring. And they are obviously going all in to try and win a Cup right now.
Certainly doesn't hurt to be able to score more goals.

For those saying a guy like Coleman doesn't fit on our team, I disagree. There seems to be a weird mentality among some fans here who believe our top 6 forwards are 'all we'll ever need' for our offence and we can ONLY have bottom 6 "depth" guys.
Coleman on our 3rd line would be a DAMN sight better than Panik or Hagelin. Wow imagine if Eller had a guy who could actually finish playing alongside him??

Reactions: um

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I expect one of the holes in the lineup fixed soon after these moves. Kinda no sense to stay pat when everyone is healthy and playing good from time to time.

1LD
2RD
LW

#7D and #4-5 RW/C wont cut it.

Reactions: um

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
The guy that fits with Eller is someone like Afinogenov who can dart in and out of scoring positions whilst Eller holds onto the puck. Hagelin cannot finish and Panik is a big guy who cant move like that.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
The guy that fits with Eller is someone like Afinogenov who can dart in and out of scoring positions whilst Eller holds onto the puck. Hagelin cannot finish and Panik is a big guy who cant move like that.

Afinogenov is 41 years old and playing in the KHL. I suspect his days of "darting in and out of scoring positions" are well and truly over :laugh:

Reactions: Portable Mink

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Do you not think Kreider is a perfect fit with Eller?

Fast as hell and elite puck protection

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Coleman doesn’t move the needle and especially not for that price. Tampa is playing really good hockey right now so it will be interesting to see if adding him into the mix disrupts their mojo a bit.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It was a strange move by the Bolts because I don't think they needed more scoring, but Coleman seems to be valuable on the PK and with even strength scoring. And they are obviously going all in to try and win a Cup right now.
Certainly doesn't hurt to be able to score more goals.

For those saying a guy like Coleman doesn't fit on our team, I disagree. There seems to be a weird mentality among some fans here who believe our top 6 forwards are 'all we'll ever need' for our offence and we can ONLY have bottom 6 "depth" guys.
Coleman on our 3rd line would be a DAMN sight better than Panik or Hagelin. Wow imagine if Eller had a guy who could actually finish playing alongside him??
I get that piece. Re: Coleman. But we’d all be truly PO’d if we sent Alexeyev and our 1st for Blake Coleman.

Lord — most wont deal that for a true top 6 forward. You think anyone wants to deal that for a bottom 6F??

Don’t be obtuse people (not meant at you, Heath)

Reactions: Calicaps and Heath

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
The Coleman move is bad for us.
Its also good and bad for Tampa. As a team in a win now mode it helps them and hurts us a little. But yes, it hurts them longer term most likely.

@Carlzner - was chatting to a mate of mine this morning who supports the Kings, said Id love Kreider. Can move up and down with ease and has pace to burn. Would take him over Toffoli.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I don't think the Capitals need to be looking at forwards at all. :dunno:

I mean if you could somehow manage a Kreider, sure but seems like the D needs the "help" way more.

Reactions: Blitzkrieg365

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV

I mean if you could somehow manage a Kreider, sure but seems like the D needs the "help" way more.

Absolutely this. Unfortunately for us, it looks like the market is shallow this year for Dmen.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The Coleman move is bad for us.
Its also good and bad for Tampa. As a team in a win now mode it helps them and hurts us a little. But yes, it hurts them longer term most likely.

We dont care about Caps long term because there is no point in it now.
Why would we care about Tampa's problems some year along the road?

They are better now, its all that matters for GMBM.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast

We can no longer afford Kreider - thanks to the Bolts. (And who even knows if he was on the Caps radar anyway).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we end up with Martinez. Not sure how that would work out for us. I'd be okay with DeMelo from the Sens.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Coleman is on a great contract for another year but that deal is brutal for Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad