League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We dont care about Caps long term because there is no point in it now.
Why would we care about Tampa's problems some year along the road?

They are better now, its all that matters for GMBM.

I would suggest that its not all that matters to GMBM. Like it or not. Its not all that matter to Ted.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I would suggest that its not all that matters to GMBM. Like it or not. Its not all that matter to Ted.
Caps long term prospects are fine. But Cup winning prospects are not. Do you agree?

So maximizing the latter makes caring about long term not ideal, I think. And I think it with "no CMM/Fever/and the likes trade" rule in mind.

They have a goalie, lots of defenders for years. Their only concern is that nobody of the Ovi's caliber is on the horizon. But the assets to sell tickets down the road are there.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Caps long term prospects are fine. But Cup winning prospects are not. Do you agree?

So maximizing the latter makes caring about long term not ideal, I think. And I think it with "no CMM/Fever/and the likes trade" rule in mind.

They have a goalie, lots of defenders for years. Their only concern is that nobody of the Ovi's caliber is on the horizon. But the assets to sell tickets down the road are there.

Well... in fairness, no other team has the greatest goal scorer of all time on their roster or in their system either, but I get your point.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps long term prospects are fine. But Cup winning prospects are not. Do you agree?.

I don't agree. I think they can compete for the remainder of Ovechkin's career. I admit that a component of that is having a legit 1C in Kuzy as Backstrom declines.

But lets just say that Fehervary becomes the big dog many think he will be and McMichael a legit top end player? Lets say Samsonov is a legit Vezina level goalie. They will continue to compete unless you sell their future(salary cap management) for this playoffs.

My view on this team and these playoffs is that they have the players to win with if they play that way. They cant have two primary injuries and a couple of star players not at their best and a leader on one leg. They need to be generally healthy and hitting on all cylinders. Trading for another player wont provide that.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Bruce Boudreau after being fired from Wild: 'Are you f---ing kidding me?'

Interesting that Bruce admits to feeling like he was going to get fired in DC well before he was....

Plus it seems he wants to get right back on that horse but worries he might be perceived as too old.

I could have sworn he implied the Wild was it for him.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Gabby, Assistant to the Coach, come on down for a few months!

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
You understand why that cant happen. Right?

I think a decade is a good enough amount of time. Especially since all parties know it's a temporary stepping stone for a few months. The man just said himself that he wants to dive right back in and would rather coach than do nothing and be mad.

Is it the title? Assistant to the Coach does sound a little too prestigious.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think a decade is a good enough amount of time. Especially since all parties know its a temporary stepping stone for a few months. The man said himself that he wants to dive right back in.

Is it the title? Assistant to the Coach does sound a little too prestigious.

Bruce has a head coach's contract thru the end of the season. The only way it makes sense for him to do that is for the Caps to pay him that salary. No way the Caps do that. Bruce was pretty likely making more money than Reirden is. Probably double

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Bruce has a head coach's contract thru the end of the season. The only way it makes sense for him to do that is for the Caps to pay him that salary. No way the Caps do that. Bruce was pretty likely making more money than Reirden is. Probably double

I admit, I am unfamiliar with what you are saying. I believed that Minnesota is still on the hook for the rest of his head coaching salary this year, not anyone else. He's already getting paid, why would he care if he got paid a head coach's salary elsewhere for a few months.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Boudreau was actually only making $2.65M per season. Still way above an assistant coach paygrade, but fairly low by head coaching standards compared to the post-Babcock era. We don’t know Reirden’s salary, but a lot of rookie coaches are making in the $2.5M ballpark while established vets are in the $5M range.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I admit, I am unfamiliar with what you are saying. I believed that Minnesota is still on the hook for the rest of his head coaching salary this year, not anyone else. He's already getting paid, why would he care if he got paid a head coach's salary elsewhere for a few months.

Minnesota still holds his contract and would have to approve him working elsewhere. While it’s unlikely they would block that from happening, they would also ask the new team to pick up a portion of the salary.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Plus it seems he wants to get right back on that horse but worries he might be perceived as too old.

I could have sworn he implied the Wild was it for him.

I believe I saw a quote where he said it would be his last gig, but clearly that was his hopeful optimism....lol.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota still holds his contract and would have to approve him working elsewhere. While it’s unlikely they would block that from happening, they would also ask the new team to pick up a portion of the salary.

Ah thats what I thought. Even his $2.65 contract prorated for after mid/late-February is still really cheap.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty sure if they fired him, he can take any gig without his FORMER employer being able to block a thing.

My understanding is that it’s common on those situations where any compensation he earns from the new team, the former simply would not pay him that amount against his old deal.

as with anything though.....any amount of dumb clauses could have been agreed on..so who knows?

also.....”a lot of rookie coaches are in the 2.5 range?”

link? Source? Find that surprising....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad