League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
The objective has always been, score the most goals, not beat the shit out of the other team.
The problem is playoff hockey is supposed to be physical

The "outscore erryone without defense" philosophy has been tried before with Boudreau

that being said I'd be lying if I didn't want more of a power punch like the Avs have. Mercy. Terrifying to watch.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Landeskog, Saad, Bellemare and Nichushkin aren't without grit. What stands out more is their youth/mobility/athleticism from the back-end being the lynch pin of an elite possession team. Makar/Toews/Girard/Graves stacks up as well as anyone's top two pairs and I'd say is easily the most up-tempo group in the league. They're downright dominant mobility-wise. They hardly spend time defending and almost effortlessly play downhill. They are a possession beast and all that entails makes them an analytics darling but it's not just about skill and it isn't a soft group per se.

Avs finished out of the playoffs 8 of the 11 seasons betw 2006/7 and 2016/17. Their resulting picks included overalls #14 (Shattenkirk), #3 (Duchene), #2 (Landeskog), #1 (McKinnon), 2x #10 (Rantanen, Jost), #4 (Makar). They mostly sucked for an extended period before they became who they are now.

Let’s see if all the media and HF boards goes nuts on Reaves, who crosschecked Gruby in the back of the head and then kneed Graves in the head.

shades of Derek Chauvin

Kuz

May 11, 2015
The problem is playoff hockey is supposed to be physical

The "outscore erryone without defense" philosophy has been tried before with Boudreau

that being said I'd be lying if I didn't want more of a power punch like the Avs have. Mercy. Terrifying to watch.

Difference between the Caps around Ovi's prime is Caps had the firepower (Ovi, Backström, Semin, Green), but they didnt have any depth in defence. After Makar Avs also have Toews and Girard who are top pairing defencemen. Then they have Graves who is also a solid top 4 guy. A lot of the difference is the increase in cap while Mackinnon also was signed at an amazing time for the AVS. While Ovi cost the Caps 9,5 mill when the salary cap was 56,8 million and MacKinnon only cost 6,3 million witg a 81,5 million salary cap. It was harder getting depth for the Caps and had the cap space been 81,5 million back then Caps would have been a lot better as the salary of the top playes havent increased as much as the salary cap have.

Still AVS are around their very best now and have a few more years before they will get worse. Grubauer, Makar, Landeskog and Saad are all out of contract this year. Saad alone leaving isnt enough to take care of signing the other 3.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Apparently this isn't even a Parros decision: it goes straight to the commish: Bettman.

Will be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

Reaves really should be suspended at least 3 games. It would be a terrible look if he injures one of the Avs star players, and there is a real possibility of that happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Watching the Vegas/Avs game last night a few observations.

The window has not only closed for the Capitals it's been boarded up. 2018 was three years ago, cryonics won't work in this situation for us, we can't freeze our players in time. They do age!

Reaves, recall him blatantly cross checking Carlson in game 1 in front of the Caps goal in the 2018 SC series and Vegas scoring immediately after. The guy is a POS, the league should not allow him to get another sweater during the playoffs and it should extend in to a bit of next season as well.

Jun 15, 2007
The Leafs will slay their dragon tonight. They will finally win a game 7, and go on to beat the Jets.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Apparently this isn't even a Parros decision: it goes straight to the commish: Bettman.

Will be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

Reaves really should be suspended at least 3 games. It would be a terrible look if he injures one of the Avs star players, and there is a real possibility of that happening.

Reaves is an absolute lunkhead. Should suspend him for the rest of the series, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad