League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I’d much rather target Nylander over Marner. Lower cap hit, had instant chemistry with Backstrom and has solid playoff numbers.
Agreed. Adding or targeting Marner would be bananas. They'd have two of the top three winger AAVs and have...no particular advantage when it counts.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Poor Jumbo Joe. Dudes never gonna win a cup as a player.

I’d much rather target Nylander over Marner. Lower cap hit, had instant chemistry with Backstrom and has solid playoff numbers.

I don’t think Toronto is going to part with Nylander is the problem. Nylander has been a Playoff Performer.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
And last year he had 17 points in 15 playoff games. You also may want to look at the boxcar stats or a certain Anthony Mantha this post-season. It’s almost as if 5-10 game samples of point totals against 1-2 teams are highly noisy and don’t really speak to the quality of play...
What does Anthony Mantha have to do with the two young guys we let go that I keep hearing was a mistake? Nice strawman

Reactions: Calicaps

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We are talking about the 2009-2010 Caps/Habs playoff series that went to 7 games, in which Halak played for the Habs and was absolutely ridiculous and arguably singlehandedly defeated the Caps (hence, the Caps got "Halak'd"), correct?
I know exactly what you are talking about. I watched every minute of that series. Halak didn't really stand on his head. We took a ton of shots on him. Most erect long range low percentage shots with no traffic in front of the net. Halak didn't single handedly defeat us. We beat ourselves.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Feel for Leafs fans, if this result holds up. 2018 erased (almost) all of the pent up pain and anger from all the times the Caps stepped on and tripped over their own dicks but that is not a fun feeling as a fan.

I remember having a talk with Leafs fans after they pushed the Caps in 2016 and they were filled with optimism and hope. I tried explaining that the transition from youthful bliss and excitement to choking dogs and a very real sense of impending doom and “will they ever get over the hump” happens quickly and they didn’t buy it. Welp.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I know exactly what you are talking about. I watched every minute of that series. Halak didn't really stand on his head. We took a ton of shots on him. Most erect long range low percentage shots with no traffic in front of the net. Halak didn't single handedly defeat us. We beat ourselves.
Ooookaaaay dude.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Both things are true. Low percentage isn't no percentage. The Caps absolutely dominated that series. And Halak absolutely made some huge saves that got into the Caps' heads and that's when they started just throwing useless pucks at him. But they didn't start out playing that way.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Both things are true. Low percentage isn't no percentage. The Caps absolutely dominated that series. And Halak absolutely made some huge saves that got into the Caps' heads and that's when they started just throwing useless pucks at him. But they didn't start out playing that way.
The Caps made it too easy for Halak to see the puck in that series. Any decent goalie would have had the same success.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Pretty soon there will be players in the league not born the last time the Leafs won a round. Sheesh.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I remember having a talk with Leafs fans after they pushed the Caps in 2016 and they were filled with optimism and hope. I tried explaining that the transition from youthful bliss and excitement to choking dogs and a very real sense of impending doom and “will they ever get over the hump” happens quickly and they didn’t buy it. Welp.

I do remember Leafs fans being very happy-go-lucky before the series started and then being like 'well Washington's cup window is about to close while ours is just opening' when they lost. Yeah, about that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad