League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I did radio stations in my primary career where there was usually one place to work, maybe 2, in a given market. Much like the sports industry. If you changed jobs, you picked up and moved. You worked based on ratings and revenue. Black and white figures in a very competitive market place. The best part of my career was spent in Tampa Bay. I was good at something and was offered work in LA and then NYC. We decided to pass on both over quality of life.

How much did Billy Bean turn down from Boston to stay in Oakland and make how much? I remember hearing Orpik talk about his kids being in high school and not wanting to disrupt that time in their lives. On the other hand I think about Alex Chappelle who moved to DC to take a MASN job and suddenly get ditched because MASN decided to cut their spending.

So you gave a hometown discount, and Billy Bean gave a hometown discount, and lots of other athletes give hometown discounts... Perhaps I should have some "some parts of your job are not like an NHL team and other parts are". People make decisions about where they want to live and who they want to work for, when they have choices. When they have no choice, they go where they must. An NHL free agent can play where ever he gets an offer, but other NHL players like Panik or Vrana goes where they're traded to.

Caps Fans can hope Ovi gives a discount. They should not expect him to, or be upset if he doesn't, but if he does they aren't dumb for having hoped for it. It happens plenty, and Ovi is under no obligation to max out for "future generations". Thats a pile of baloney invented by the players unions and agents.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Panarin gets so much hype, when he's pretty much predictable. Each time he enters in o-zone, he stops then cross-ice pass. His strength is mostly good cross-ice passes.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I feel Caps just don't do their homework on how to defend against opposition top players. That's why Barzal, Panarin own Caps almost single-handedly.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I'm hoping for this matchup in the 1st round:

Isles vs Bruins or Rangers
Caps vs Pens

I could also live with Caps vs Isles.

Don't want us playing the Rangers for obvious reasons.
And I don't want us playing Boston because it will literally be a bloodbath and could result in any number of injuries.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
So...Rags or Isles tonite? Who do we want? No 3pt game, obv
I'd rather Rags get the big Zero and not worry about holding 1st place when it's likely to be changing hands
For whatever reason I like our chances better vs. BOS than the Rags (the devil you know maybe?, plus at times NYR's speed has just blown by us)

Good chance of it being 62/62/61 and 58 for BOS w/2 gms in hand by 10:45 tonight

By Game 50 (or less) we'll be trading 1st place between us/Aisles and Shittsburger

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
pens feasting on the devils and trotz is turteling the rangers - f*** you islanders

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
BOS - W
NYR - L
=
NYR's road just got A LOT tougher, 6pts behind BOS and B's have 2 gms in hand, they have to go AT LEAST 9-1 (70 pts) the rest of the way to have a chance to get in

This pleases me.

Yeah, looking at the schedule etc, the current playoff teams only need to win HALF of their remaining games and they have 70+ points.
Almost impossible for Rangers to make it - like you say they need to win 9 of 10 and one of the other teams needs to have an epic meltdown.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If you are talking about the Caps vs Pens, I view it differently. That is "old bad blood".
This rivalry with the Bruins has become "new bad blood". And it seems like it could get really ugly in the playoffs.

The Caps have owned the Bruins for a decade its been ugly and angry often. Its not new. You are mistaken if you think a series with Boston is going to take more out of the Caps than the Penguins. Thats professional life and death stuff. I'd just as soon avoid it if possible. I dont want anything to do with it in the first round.

Meanwhile, the Caps have 3 in a row coming vs NYI and I would rather not have seen them get right tonight.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Only a few players I've ever seen had the ability to consistently make the other team look like children by skating right around them. Bobby Orr. Guy Lafleur for a bit. And Connor McDavid. He made 44 look like a beer leaguer.

sorry to chime in as a Bruins fan: was just quick lurk to see what you guys were thinking of the playoff race.
but that is my list as well, except I also have Kent Nilsson in there.
When he felt like showing up he was better than anyone - including Wayne and company. He never showed up enough but when he did - Wow. He was the 1980s version of McDavid - but he (admitted) rarely ever tried so he's kinda forgotten.
next group has guys like Bure and Perrault.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
rather play the islanders than the rangers anyday
I wouldn't go quite that far exactly
For me, the ideal road thru the division is rd.1 vs PIT, rd.2 vs. BOS and avoiding the Aisles altogether but yeah the Rangers have had that certain something against us most of the year
BUT the Aisles minus Lee is a huge difference, their PP has been neutered ever since

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad