League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
They have shoot outs all the time in soccer and OT in football is basically a field goal competition
Just because soccer does it, doesn't make it right..... in fact I would say the opposite. Football still plays normal 11v11 football with downs and all the plays are an option. It is far from a FG competition.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Jun 15, 2007
Isles got Zajac and Palmieri for a 1st and some guys I've never heard of. I think it's a great deal for them. Got much better.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Isles got Zajac and Palmieri for a 1st and some guys I've never heard of. I think it's a great deal for them. Got much better.

Yeah, those are both decent players to add to their roster.
Kind of sucks for us though. Hopefully Palmieri continues to struggle to score goals. And also hope we don't meet them in the playoffs anyway.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just because soccer does it, doesn't make it right..... in fact I would say the opposite. Football still plays normal 11v11 football with downs and all the plays are an option. It is far from a FG competition.

The primary difference between NFL overtime and NHL overtime is that overtime provides a winner nearly 100% of the time. They dont need to change the game to avoid the tie. Lets not forget that the NFL has overtime because their customer base hated tie games.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
This deal sucks for us. And I’m ready to be convinced otherwise, but I’m of the opinion that first round picks aren’t as valuable this draft because there’s a huge lack of play to assess prospects.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This deal sucks for us. And I’m ready to be convinced otherwise, but I’m of the opinion that first round picks aren’t as valuable this draft because there’s a huge lack of play to assess prospects.
On the other hand there's also a real possibility of netting gems in the second round or thereafter. It comes down to how thorough staffs are under trying circumstances. Lots of video scouting. The Caps will also have to lean on some of their evals from last season (and before). The U18s will still go on and historically it seems the Caps weigh international tournaments fairly strongly. There's enough action, particularly in Europe in what seems to be a pretty strong group overall, to get the sense it should at least be an average first round.

I might move the first in a package with Panik for someone like Rakell. I'm not sure there's an available cure-all. I suppose if they can add a relatively young, non-rental two-way winger maybe it helps them trade Vrana at the draft for futures of some sort if that's how they want to play it. I don't get the sense in trading the first for a rental, though. Not unless they believe they'll be able to retain them (which, again, will trigger other moves).

I'm guessing they make a move to make a move. I just hope it isn't counterproductive. IMO a goaltender runs that risk. Don't bother with a Mike Weber type token veteran depth addition. Add pace or just ride it out.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
On the other hand there's also a real possibility of netting gems in the second round or thereafter. It comes down to how thorough staffs are under trying circumstances. Lots of video scouting. The Caps will also have to lean on some of their evals from last season (and before). The U18s will still go on and historically it seems the Caps weigh international tournaments fairly strongly. There's enough action, particularly in Europe in what seems to be a pretty strong group overall, to get the sense it should at least be an average first round.

Totally get the same sense. I think (like you said) later round picks, basically like 3rd round on, will have a handful of gems. But first round picks have much more risk than they previously did-- maybe we'll see a much more Euro heavy first round if teams are playing it a bit safer, but there is so little to judge Canadian and American prospects on that drafting *mostly* based on prospects' D -1 season seems like a recipe for disaster (and many busts).

Basically, in this draft, I'm expecting many more "busts" in the first and second round (relative to draft position), and many more late round home runs.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Let's just hope it messes with their chemistry and lines, knew Palmieri was moving, a little surprised Zajac left
Outside of the 1st rounder, not a bad cost to make a run

Maybe Zajac was okay with a trade if it gave him a chance at a Cup? Unlikely he would ever win one if he finished his career with the Devils.

And yes, saying "a chance at a Cup" makes me feel queasy when it's in relation to the Isles.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Is Ekholm still likely to be available or has Nashville decided not to be sellers now that they’re back in the thick of the playoff race?

Also I’m with @Langway: do not go after a goalie.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
where do they even play Zajac

If CapFriendly are to be trusted - they're going to be on the 3rd line with Pageau.
Palmieri is also a PP guy and does some PK'ing. Zajac maybe PK's as well but not sure.

upload_2021-4-8_12-20-58.png

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Basically, in this draft, I'm expecting many more "busts" in the first and second round (relative to draft position), and many more late round home runs.
I think teams are pretty wise on this and will both hedge and swing for smart upside earlier on. It's the OHLers that are the main question marks but some have played in Europe while waiting and some are also assured to play at the U18s at least. It's the OHL projects, those that really needed the league developmental time and haven't been able to play, that will be impacted the most. I'm not sure that will impact Washington's strategy so much. For them it's more the WHL not playing all that many games either which could impact mid-to-late round strategy. But it depends on their homework. All teams will try to dig their way toward smart bets but certainly it can be tough to make projections without a ton of recent data.

I'd wager the first round is still flushed out enough to be less volatile but we'll see how the season finishes and how strongly some close.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks Palmieri is seriously overrated and Zajac is not really a threat anymore? Sure the Islanders are better with these two but I don’t think they are way better.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Is Ekholm still likely to be available or has Nashville decided not to be sellers now that they’re back in the thick of the playoff race?

Also I’m with @Langway: do not go after a goalie.

Nashville have a decent chance of making the playoffs. They've won 10 of their last 12. (admittedly their schedule / opponents is tougher going forward than it was those last 12 games).
Ekholm has another year at 3.75 million.
Preds cap space next season is 18.8 million so they aren't cash poor and they don't have any big name players to re-sign - Rinne is UFA but look at his last couple of seasons (ouch):

upload_2021-4-8_12-33-38.png

He's 38 and I'd be surprised if they re-sign him? And if they did it wouldn't be for much.

I guess imho it doesn't look like they have a good reason to move Ekholm anymore (now they're in the playoff hunt).

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
If we're making trades, I'm going against my normal defense every year and want an offensive player. Everything is backwards lol.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Am I the only one who thinks Palmieri is seriously overrated and Zajac is not really a threat anymore? Sure the Islanders are better with these two but I don’t think they are way better.

He's been crappy this year but look at his goal totals with the Devils. If he regains his scoring touch he is definitely a good addition for them, 5v5 and on the PP:

upload_2021-4-8_12-44-22.png

Wahlstrom has been playing well on the 2nd line, so if he stays there and Palmieri plays on the 3rd, Zajac centering which allows Pageau to move to LW. They've now got a legitimate 3rd scoring line. And added a lot of experience (1600 regular season games).

You could do a lot worse in a trade, that's for sure.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Let's just hope it messes with their chemistry and lines, knew Palmieri was moving, a little surprised Zajac left
Outside of the 1st rounder, not a bad cost to make a run

I wonder if the fact he got traded to a destination still vaguely within commute distance eased Zajac's mind about being traded. He doesn't have to uproot his entire life.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think it's really good value for the Devils but it's still an upgrade. Not massive. Probably not as good as Pageau but they're still improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad