League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’m not disagreeing....just saying that ties suck balls!
Yeah.

A 7-0 we should be worth more than a 3-2 SO win due to a team getting a lucky tie. And then winning in the SO. Like Shittsburgh has done all season.

3pt for a regulation win is the obvious solution. If one game is worth 3pts, all games should be worth 3pts.

pretty simple

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't really like ties but ties are fine if they go to the soccer system of three points for a win, one for a tie, and zero for a loss. That said, I don't think they NHL would ever do that because the NHL likes having as many teams in the hunt for playoff spots as possible to keep people interested for as long as possible.

Also for those who hate the shootout, do you equally hate how important soccer games come down to penalty kicks?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Did not realize the Blues have lost six straight and now sit three points back of the playoffs, tied with San Jose. Also did not realize San Jose was only three spots back of the playoffs.

Jun 15, 2007
Both teams get a 5 on 4 powerplay at each end simultaneously. First team to score wins.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't really like ties but ties are fine if they go to the soccer system of three points for a win, one for a tie, and zero for a loss. That said, I don't think they NHL would ever do that because the NHL likes having as many teams in the hunt for playoff spots as possible to keep people interested for as long as possible.

Also for those who hate the shootout, do you equally hate how important soccer games come down to penalty kicks?
Well — that would mean I would actually have to pay attention to soccer. Which I don’t. World Cup, sure ... but that’s about it.

I know, I know, I know .... blasphemous

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I don’t mind ties...never did. Hate the shootout tho, always have.

3 pts W, 2 pts ot W with 1 loser point. Same for shootout.

I just feel that’s equitable considering two things -

ties are never coming back and loser points are never going away.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The NHL like any large corporation, does extensive market research, and the evidence has generally been that people don't want ties, they want to see a winner/loser, which is why overtime was first implemented in the 80s, and then the loser point in 2000 then the shootout in 2005/06. I think a lot of us hate the 3 point game but the loser point was implemented because OT was a total snore fest of teams buckling down defensively (2X turtles) and not even trying to score, which sucked and was a waste of time. But it seems newer research shows people aren't in love with the shootout so the 3 on 3 made it less likely. Point being, the NHL doesn't want games to end in a tie, so all the moves they've made have been an effort to solve for that while still providing something entertaining. I personally like the 3 on 3 and I don't hate the shootout but its not that exciting so I could live without it. But I doubt we ever see any 10 minute OTs, not with an 82 game season and an NHLPA.

I just don't see anything significant changing because each new OT rule was put in based on extensive fan opinion saying the current approach is lacking. Lacking a winner (OT), lacking teams trying to win (loser point), lacking teams able to win (shootout, 3on3), etc. I think we'll have this current systems for 10 more years most likely.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The NHL like any large corporation, does extensive market research, and the evidence has generally been that people don't want ties, they want to see a winner/loser, which is why overtime was first implemented in the 80s, and then the loser point in 2000 then the shootout in 2005/06. I think a lot of us hate the 3 point game but the loser point was implemented because OT was a total snore fest of teams buckling down defensively (2X turtles) and not even trying to score, which sucked and was a waste of time. But it seems newer research shows people aren't in love with the shootout so the 3 on 3 made it less likely. Point being, the NHL doesn't want games to end in a tie, so all the moves they've made have been an effort to solve for that while still providing something entertaining. I personally like the 3 on 3 and I don't hate the shootout but its not that exciting so I could live without it. But I doubt we ever see any 10 minute OTs, not with an 82 game season and an NHLPA.

I just don't see anything significant changing because each new OT rule was put in based on extensive fan opinion saying the current approach is lacking. Lacking a winner (OT), lacking teams trying to win (loser point), lacking teams able to win (shootout, 3on3), etc. I think we'll have this current systems for 10 more years most likely.

People also thought that a 1/4 pound burger was bigger than a 1/3 pound burger in market research. Just saying. People are dumb and don't know what's good for them :laugh:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well — that would mean I would actually have to pay attention to soccer. Which I don’t. World Cup, sure ... but that’s about it.

I know, I know, I know .... blasphemous
Not blasphemous, everyone is into their own thing (and not into other stuff). I love soccer because I love the sport (played it through high school) it's really the only sport I follow where I don't have a team to cheer for so I really appreciate just being able to watch the sport without having a sense of impending doom like I do when watching one of my teams play. And, of course, games start at 7:00am ET on weekends so it's perfect for parents with young kids. I've also always thought that any finish of a season without playoffs is a waste but the drama of teams trying to qualify for European post-season super tournaments or teams getting booted to a lower tier via relegation is really quite entertaining.

But back to topic, I think ties in the NHL could work as long as wins are weighted more heavily. Don't think 2 pts for a win, 1 for a tie, and 0 for a loss would cut it.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
People also thought that a 1/4 pound burger was bigger than a 1/3 pound burger in market research. Just saying. People are dumb and don't know what's good for them :laugh:

No way, I have utmost confidence in the intelligence of the general public.

moon-or-elephant-1.jpg

And yes, I know this is a fake image, the woman in the picture is not the one who failed to know that the moon is larger than an elephant, but there was actually a contestant who got that question wrong even after using all three lifelines. No word on if the size challenged game show contestant was also an NHL fan.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Yes. It's horrid.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I think it simple. The shootout takes (with the stupid shave down the middle to clean the ice) takes about as much time as another 5 minute OT. Play 5v5 (5min) then 4v4 (5min). The percentages show most games will resolve themselves. The rest end in a tie. It won't be as many as it used to because you still have the loser point. The reason this all started was because teams were scared to lose at least one point in the last couple minute of regulation or OT, so they would play very conservative. Keep that out, and give them more time with real hockey. The TV people still get what they want since we do 5 minutes and shootout right now anyway, and we get what we want, which is mostly wins and losses.

Anything that decides a hockey game without playing hockey is non-starter and should never have been accepted in the first place just to appease non-hockey fans.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think it simple. The shootout takes (with the stupid shave down the middle to clean the ice) takes about as much time as another 5 minute OT. Play 5v5 (5min) then 4v4 (5min). The percentages show most games will resolve themselves. The rest end in a tie. It won't be as many as it used to because you still have the loser point. The reason this all started was because teams were scared to lose at least one point in the last couple minute of regulation or OT, so they would play very conservative. Keep that out, and give them more time with real hockey. The TV people still get what they want since we do 5 minutes and shootout right now anyway, and we get what we want, which is mostly wins and losses.

Anything that decides a hockey game without playing hockey is non-starter and should never have been accepted in the first place just to appease non-hockey fans.

The nhlpa would never allow all that extra ice time on the top players.

Your percentages might not check out when coaches play not to lose

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
The Hockey Guy had a really good way of describing how stupid the shootout is, by comparing it to the other major sports:

"They don't have a free throw competition in basketball. They don't have a goal kicking competition in the NFL, and they don't have a home run hitting comp in baseball".

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
They have shoot outs all the time in soccer and OT in football is basically a field goal competition
and the much more interesting version of football overtime, the college OT rules, are literally just following a shootout template.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
No Rocket for Ovie this season - Matthews has 27 goals and is running away with it. (God his moustache looks so stupid).

Hope Ovie gets to 30 goals. He needs 11 in 18 games. He can do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad