League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-22 season, Vol. 3, Playoffs Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
For some reason I was thinking 7 per also on the open market (not what I would pay him)….so 7*7…..seems like a lot of coin for one 25g 52 pt season where he shot his career best shooting percentage.
And first time in his career he's played top 6 minutes (19 mins per game vs previous seasons when 14 was his average). And getting more PP time than before. There's obviously a reason he was taken 10th overall in the 2013 draft, but 9 years is a long time to finally meet expectations.

I have no doubt there is a GM in the league who'll give him what he's going to ask for, but he could easily go back to his previous levels of mediocrity.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
For some reason I was thinking 7 per also on the open market (not what I would pay him)….so 7*7…..seems like a lot of coin for one 25g 52 pt season where he shot his career best shooting percentage.

Over the past 3 seasons he’s scored 2.03 points/60 at 5v5, similar to guys like Kuznetsov, Pettersson, Hertl, and Tavares.

On top of some good point totals, his individual impacts on both ends of the ice are among the best in the league. For a team like Washington that often struggles to get good looks for their skilled players at 5v5, he’d be a great fit. He gets the puck to the offensive end, and that’s something guys like Ovechkin and Oshie struggle with nowadays.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Nuchiskin’s two way game is just nasty. Speed. Responsible. And now finding a scoring touch. Unfortunately there will be a lot of suitors and will likely be overpaid. I suspect Colorado is going to be the one. They view him as a cornerstone. A month ago he was projected at 5.5M and I think you are all right that he now projects at 7M.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Auston Matthews making sure he gets paid in 2 years.

Future captain coyote.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Man I remember how I had a debate over here on Samsonov vs. Shestyorkin/Sorokin back in like 2018 and how aggressively the crowd was defending Samsonov. Look at them all now.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Literally only 35-40 qualified NHL coaches in the world.

Also I find this one particularly funny because Paul Maurice coached one of the worst special teams in the NHL while in Winnipeg and he's taking over a team that just went 1 for 30 or whatever on the PP and stank on the PK in the postseason.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ken Hitchcock to Boston is the next domino to fall.

Mike Babcock will be in Winnipeg sometime shortly thereafter.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Who cares? If you post on a message board you’re bound to be wrong about something that someone else is right about. Throwing it in their face says a lot more about the person doing the throwing than it does about the person who was wrong and that kind of attitude is why solid posters leave the boards.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Also I find this one particularly funny because Paul Maurice coached one of the worst special teams in the NHL while in Winnipeg and he's taking over a team that just went 1 for 30 or whatever on the PP and stank on the PK in the postseason.

I normally agree with you on the retreads but in this case they had a first time coach last year and he clearly was overmatched. Now that isn’t to say that Maurice is a good choice because I think he’s a very bad choice but I get them wanting experience.

Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I normally agree with you on the retreads but in this case they had a first time coach last year and he clearly was overmatched. Now that isn’t to say that Maurice is a good choice because I think he’s a very bad choice but I get them wanting experience.

I do agree that moving on from Brunette was probably the right move. Florida is right to not be patient with Brunette while their roster is this talented.

But yeah, Paul Maurice stinks. He's really bad. They should have made Trotz an offer he couldn't refuse.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Sorry, wasn't 2018, my bad but still before anyone in Us or Canada could make a proper judgment on their game. Early 2021 it was, I have actually stumbled upon that thread after I made the post but felt like nobody would give a shit anyways.

And of all people you were among those few who was smart about it and wasn't picking fights over the matter you didn't have enough info about.

solid posters leave the boards.
Yeah me and many others basically already did.

• Haha
Reactions: g00n

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
So the coaching carousel so far:
  • Boston - ? (Friedman indicating one of these, Jim Montgomery former Dallas Coach, Jay Leach current Seattle Assistant Coach and former Providence Bruins AHL Coach and Nate Leaman current Providence College Coach)
  • Dallas - Peter DeBoer, coming over from Las Vegas
  • Detroit - ? (Yzerman perhaps is waiting for TB to complete their season before he grabs one of their assistants)
  • Florida - Paul Maurice, previously with Winnipeg
  • Las Vegas - Bruce Cassidy, coming over from Boston
  • Philadelphia - John Tortorella
  • Winnipeg - ? (Barry Trotz has interviewed for his hometown team)
and there's still the likes of Mike Babcock, Claude Julien, Joel Quenneville, Rick Tochett and Alain Vigneault out there.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Twabby expressed a lot of doubt on Nichushkin advanced stats during the regular season but is now convinced after watching him with his… whatever the word for those organs are.

Just a tad ironic

Reactions: Devil Dancer

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Twabby expressed a lot of doubt on Nichushkin advanced stats during the regular season but is now convinced after watching him with his… whatever the word for those organs are.

Just a tad ironic
Transitioning over to the school of Alan May Analytics, aka the eye test.

Reactions: usiel

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Twabby expressed a lot of doubt on Nichushkin advanced stats during the regular season

This is news to me!

If you found a post with me doubting Nichushkin I'd like to see it. And then I'd like to go back in time and slap my past self in the face with a salmon.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

The NHL getting into crypto and NFTs after everyone has already squeezed the suckers at the bottom of the pyramid dry is so on brand. Maybe 3 years ago it would have been lucrative.

It's like them getting Def Leppard or Three Doors Down as their musical act in the year 2017.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Who cares? If you post on a message board you’re bound to be wrong about something that someone else is right about. Throwing it in their face says a lot more about the person doing the throwing than it does about the person who was wrong and that kind of attitude is why solid posters leave the boards.
I don’t recall this big debate is why I asked…….because a drive by troll post like that deserves some kind of response to debunk it IMO.

Just a tad ironic
“Eye test”. ;)

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Thank god they didn't get Trotz. That'd be scary.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Just a tad ironic
You’re confusing twabby and me. I have my doubts that Nuke can maintain his level of excellence in a different environment, although his floor is still basically at okay-second liner/elite possession 3rd liner. My concern is he’s about to get paid like a first liner.

The NHL getting into crypto and NFTs after everyone has already squeezed the suckers at the bottom of the pyramid dry is so on brand. Maybe 3 years ago it would have been lucrative.

It's like them getting Def Leppard or Three Doors Down as their musical act in the year 2017.

A lucrative agreement with who? The whole point of shit like NFTs is you can mint your own. Or is he referring to some sort of advertising agreement, in which case - sure whatever.

trangert418

Jan 20, 2019
Looked like Kuemper's mask was knocked off by a high stick but they showed the replay multiple times and the commentators kept saying the puck knocked if off. No one on Colorado was protesting though. Guess I need new glasses.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That Cirelli replay didn’t look good. Looked like he either broke something or got cut by his reaction. If he’s out this series probably got a lot shorter… trying to beat Colorado without Point and Cirelli seems not likely.

Reactions: Marshall
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad