League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-2 Regular Season Edition, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The trade up and Vanecek pick were considered a questionable reach the day it happened, and history hasn’t done a whole lot to change that narrative. There was a mini-run on goalies before they traded up to grab VV, which made it seem like a panic move. But even if they were going to move to grab a goalie, VV was not projected to be a 2nd round pick just about anywhere. So if you’re gonna reach on a goalie there, at least try and come away with one of the best remaining. The fact that so many later goalies drafted have surpassed Vanecek makes the trade and pick look rather poor.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They also traded up for Vanecek, which always suggested to me that they were interested in Demko & Nedeljkovic who went a few picks earlier and scrambled to that run rather than coveting Vanecek. Another goaltender in McDonald went before those two so a run had started and they didn't want to come away empty-handed. Vanecek seemed more like the best option in that tier/range at best. It seemed to hinge on his U18 performance alongside Vrana but he was never considered on the level of Demko or Ned. Interestingly the Rangers did take another goaltender in the second round in Halverson who never amounted to much.

I think Scott Murray deserves the scrutiny he gets mostly because he lacks the track record compared to his predecessors. It's on the goalies to be consistent but on a technical level it's hard to be convinced he's maximizing them.
We don’t know if Vanny was their main target but the run on goalies and their trade up does make you wonder. Another question is, if they got their guy in 2014 (assuming it wasn’t Vanny), do they still take Samsonov in 2015 or do they go a different direction that draft? Interesting to think about. I remember some people here being high on Boeser, Konency, Merkley, Forsbacka Karlson, and others that year. I think a bunch of people liked Sebastian Aho as well but he’s a Finn so we knew that was a nonstarter.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
We don’t know if Vanny was their main target but the run on goalies and their trade up does make you wonder. Another question is, if they got their guy in 2014 (assuming it wasn’t Vanny), do they still take Samsonov in 2015 or do they go a different direction that draft? Interesting to think about. I remember some people here being high on Boeser, Konency, Merkley, Forsbacka Karlson, and others that year. I think a bunch of people liked Sebastian Aho as well but he’s a Finn so we knew that was a nonstarter.
They made the trade after Demko and Ned had already been taken, so Vitek better have been their guy.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Maybe one of them was their guy and they felt they had to get someone and Vitek was next on their list, so he wasn’t their guy but he was the best they could have gotten.
If that's the case, I still question why they felt the need to trade up. VV wasn't projected to be a 2nd rounder. I've said it before in some of the discussions about GMBM's tendency to trade up in the draft, but I bet they could have not only got VV at 44th OA, but possibly even at 74 OA. And it also calls their targeting into question, considering that Elvis Merzlikins (76), Ilya Sorokin (78), Ville Husso (94), Kaapo Kahkonen (109), and Igor Shesterkin (118) were all available at the 3rd round pick (74) that they gave up. So why did they feel that VV was the next best option and so far ahead of that pack he was worth moving up for?

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
rocky-iv-dolph-lundgren.gif

Protas!

Reactions: shtorm2005

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If that's the case, I still question why they felt the need to trade up. VV wasn't projected to be a 2nd rounder. I've said it before in some of the discussions about GMBM's tendency to trade up in the draft, but I bet they could have not only got VV at 44th OA, but possibly even at 74 OA. And it also calls their targeting into question, considering that Elvis Merzlikins (76), Ilya Sorokin (78), Ville Husso (94), Kaapo Kahkonen (109), and Igor Shesterkin (118) were all available at the 3rd round pick (74) that they gave up. So why did they feel that VV was the next best option and so far ahead of that pack he was worth moving up for?
Agree with all you wrote and it was kind of the basis for my post. That was a strong goaltending class and we didn’t get a bust but we didn’t get a franchise guy either.

In terms of trading up, Vitek isn’t the only head scratcher. Nathan Walker was always a strange one to me.

Reactions: Hivemind

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The ASG is the fashion show from SLAPSHOT. It's a shameless promo event to hype the league via the players.

The worst part is the always the bands. Barenaked Ladies, 3 Doors Down, and Fallout Boy really amp me up for some hockey, bro.

Reactions: HeyMattyB

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The ASG is the fashion show from SLAPSHOT. It's a shameless promo event to hype the league via the players.

The worst part is the always the bands. Barenaked Ladies, 3 Doors Down, and Fallout Boy really amp me up for some hockey, bro.
Every year. If you ever need confirmation that the NHL is 2nd tier sports league, the ASG/SCF bands are it.

Reactions: g00n and zappa4ever

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Malkin's return to NHL greeted with a 6-2 drubbing by LAK, lol

Crosby and the GCR line = nada
Malkin = nada (unless you want to count his penalty taken ;) )

Kings get 4 in the 3rd incl 2 in 10 seconds (3 in 1:23)

and somehow CBJ doled out the what-for to CAR with a 6-0 shellacking

Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Malkin's return to NHL greeted with a 6-2 drubbing by LAK, lol

Crosby and the GCR line = nada
Malkin = nada (unless you want to count his penalty taken ;) )

Kings get 4 in the 3rd incl 2 in 10 seconds (3 in 1:23)

and somehow CBJ doled out the what-for to CAR with a 6-0 shellacking
He came back on Tuesday (game earlier than predicted), and had 3pts (2G) in their 4-1 win over the Ducks

Reactions: Peeri

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Every year. If you ever need confirmation that the NHL is 2nd tier sports league, the ASG/SCF bands are it.
16 year old me would have been pumped to see 3 Doors Down and Fall Out Boy. Throw in a little The Used, Story of the Year, and My Chemical Romance and you’ve essentially captured my high school years.

But I was a dumb ass in high school so maybe don’t brand your product for that population?

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad