League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-2 Regular Season Edition, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Isn't MacLellan on record as having had interest in Kane in the past? Reportedly there's still interest around the league. You'd think he'd have to eat some humble pie after all of the drama but I guess that depends on the extent of demand.

I'd probably pass but only if they have better deadline targets in mind. For free it would be hard to rule it out completely. He'd add speed but he's not super well-rounded, has had penalty problems and falls pretty far from an ideal standpoint. But free is free. If he's only going to command a cheap deal that could be waived and buried there's perhaps not much downside to it.
only in that sort of EA Sports way where you can sign free agents the game doesn't know what to do with and make a superteam of injured and retired headcases.

in reality I think the downsides are fairly clear

edit: for the record I'm not saying you have an EA sports way of thinking, just that in this case the on-ice product isn't really the question

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Eh, like I said, if it's a relatively cheap deal and he turns out to be a sideshow you could bail out of it pretty easily and I doubt there would be lasting damage. Worst-case would be spending something consequential if there's ample demand to where they'd be married to the idea for better or worse, even if just for this season. If it's cheap enough I don't know that there's substantial downside. The issue is more whether he's still got it to be a 15-18 minute a night player when Lavi already has trust issues for players that aren't known for their defense. It's probably a poor fit all things considered but, again, if they maybe don't love their rental forward options perhaps it's a worthwhile no-strings idea.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Hertl with a natural hat trick for the Sharks.

He’s going to kill it with whoever picks him up at the deadline. I hope it’s Washington!

Reactions: Hivemind

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don’t like bringing Evander Kane in. Ignoring the fact that he’s a huge shithead, he’s been a very average player over the past 3 years:

upload_2022-1-9_0-12-51.png

He’s very much just another opportunistic scorer with somewhat limited playdriving abilities. Washington has plenty of those.

Get a guy like Hertl or Giroux who commands the ice, puts opponents on their heels, and changes the dynamic of the offense. I don’t care what it costs to acquire either one of them, or whoever else might be available who is of that caliber.

Last edited:
Reactions: caps4cup

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Boston. I can just feel it.

Boston makes a ton of sense, as does NYR. I doubt he’d waive for a team like Edmonton but that would be a no-brainer for them too.

I’m sure San Jose is going to try to keep him but it doesn’t really make sense for them or him to stay in San Jose if the goal is to win championships. He’s going to return a haul and SJ is a few years away from contending.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Boston makes a ton of sense, as does NYR. I doubt he’d waive for a team like Edmonton but that would be a no-brainer for them too.

I’m sure San Jose is going to try to keep him but it doesn’t really make sense for them or him to stay in San Jose if the goal is to win championships. He’s going to return a haul and SJ is a few years away from contending.

For the love of God, don't let it be the Rangers. We desperately need them to stay out of contention for another couple of years.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
For the love of God, don't let it be the Rangers. We desperately need them to stay out of contention for another couple of years.

I think it really depends on what Hertl is looking for if he desires a trade from San Jose. NYR makes sense because despite a bad offseason they are a team on the rise and Hertl would be a perfect addition to a team that needs one more impact center. New York is similar to Washington in that they are very much an opportunistic offense and not a huge possession driver, and that’s why I see them as a great fit for Hertl. And the bright lights of New York certainly don’t hurt.

Boston has a gaping hole at 2C and perhaps 1C depending on how Bergeron’s career trajectory turns out. Again, another attractive option for him.

Washington has the allure of playing with Ovechkin and they are perhaps close enough to winning it all that he’d waive to come to DC. I think he’d fit like a glove, especially on the struggling PP, but I’m not sure DC would be his first pick. They might have to offer a little more scratch to make it happen.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I think it really depends on what Hertl is looking for if he desires a trade from San Jose. NYR makes sense because despite a bad offseason they are a team on the rise and Hertl would be a perfect addition to a team that needs one more impact center. New York is similar to Washington in that they are very much an opportunistic offense and not a huge possession driver, and that’s why I see them as a great fit for Hertl. And the bright lights of New York certainly don’t hurt.

Boston has a gaping hole at 2C and perhaps 1C depending on how Bergeron’s career trajectory turns out. Again, another attractive option for him.

Washington has the allure of playing with Ovechkin and they are perhaps close enough to winning it all that he’d waive to come to DC. I think he’d fit like a glove, especially on the struggling PP, but I’m not sure DC would be his first pick. They might have to offer a little more scratch to make it happen.

It would be incredible to have him but I don't think he will pick Caps long term. He needs a max term contract and Caps are not setup for that timeline.

You could convince him to come over as a rental but it would a hell of a price to pay for a rental.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It would be incredible to have him but I don't think he will pick Caps long term. He needs a max term contract and Caps are not setup for that timeline.

You could convince him to come over as a rental but it would a hell of a price to pay for a rental.

I guess I’m just not convinced that signing Hertl to an 8 year deal would really be a bad thing from Washington’s perspective. The expectation isn’t that he’d be worth the contract for the duration, but that he’d be productive for the rest of the contention window which may only be a few more years. At age 28 that seems like a likely proposition.

You’re right that I don’t necessarily think Washington is his best choice if his goal is repeated shots at a Stanley Cup, which is why I think DC would need to offer a little more money to make it happen.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I guess I’m just not convinced that signing Hertl to an 8 year deal would really be a bad thing from Washington’s perspective. The expectation isn’t that he’d be worth the contract for the duration, but that he’d be productive for the rest of the contention window which may only be a few more years. At age 28 that seems like a likely proposition.

You’re right that I don’t necessarily think Washington is his best choice if his goal is repeated shots at a Stanley Cup, which is why I think DC would need to offer a little more money to make it happen.

From Washington's perspective it's a no-brainer. I posted a trade proposal last year of Vrana-McMichael-Panik-1st for Hertl with an extension. Nothing has changed. It would have been a great trade for both teams.

HanTykje

Jan 8, 2022
Norway
www.instagram.com
Caps need a natural goalscorer, since Ovie is the only one driving the team in terms of goals, Mantha is out and we dont have many natural goalscoring wingers. Oshie does not look sharp lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad