League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-2 Regular Season Edition, Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
I don't understand what difference sitting out 1 week will make? Maybe 1 month but a week? Just messed up peoples schedules that's all.

yeah... in a 14-day span right after Xmas weekend(Dec 27th-Jan 10th) the Caps have 8(!) games scheduled and I'm going to be very surprised if they play those as currently scheduled and using the NHL's current 'strategy'(whatever the hell that actually is). With the holiday mode people are in right now, can the Covid situation really stabilize(let alone improve) by early next week? I dont see how...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Swedish Olympic announcement that speaks for NHL players in Beijing - rumors of a five-week quarantine should & quot; not be true at all & quot; - California18

It's not 3 to 5 weeks. It's 2 negative tests. But still you could be stuck there for a while. Atleast that's what the Swedes are being told and that's why guys like Hedman and Backstrom are propably pissed.

I have not heard any of the Canadian Hockey media, particularly Friedmann saying this. All I heard about was NHLPA. Do you think the PA and Sportsnet are in on it?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I have not heard any of the Canadian Hockey media, particularly Friedmann saying this. All I heard about was NHLPA. Do you think the PA and Sportsnet are in on it?

You can draw up your own conclusions but the rules sent to them were propably the same ones. Or are you saying Canada got other set of rules?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You can draw up your own conclusions but the rules sent to them were propably the same ones. Or are you saying Canada got other set of rules?

I am saying that the 3-5 week report came from Canadian media. That was augmented to include all final decisions came from the Chinese government. I have seen no reporting from the Canadian media to back up this Swedish report that the 3 to 5 weeks is a lie. Ive seen nothing to indicate that the 3 to 5 weeks is a plan by the league to kill the Olympics.

Maybe I am wrong. Do you have anything from the NHL media indicating anything along those lines? The media shiving the league is nothing new. If they had something, they would have gone with it.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
You cant make this shit up. So after all reason they are not going isn't health related. It's because they had to postpone games and now have to make time to reschedule them. All that covid talk they had previously is just gone out of the window. All this just makes NHL sound like propaganda agency. Crazy.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
upload_2021-12-22_11-45-6.png

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You cant make this shit up. So after all reason they are not going isn't health related. It's because they had to postpone games and now have to make time to reschedule them. All that covid talk they had previously is just gone out of the window. All this just makes NHL sound like propaganda agency. Crazy.

The games were postponed because?

Reactions: Drakon

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
NHL decision to not go to Olympics based on COVID-19 spread
This was published yesterday. The quote is current. This player seems to believe the 3 to 5 weeks. He gets his information from the NHLPA.
Edmonton Oilers center Connor McDavid calling the reported COVID-19 protocols in China, where positive cases will be forced to quarantine up to five weeks, "unsettling."
NHL, NHLPA agree to skip Beijing Olympics due to COVID-19 concerns: report | TheHill

So what can we gather from this article.
1. Vast majority of the players were down to play in Olympics, unlike what you would think if you only read TheHill.
2. If no symptoms you only need 2 negative tests and you are good to go, literally same as in NHL (someone correct me if I'm wrong here.).
3. If you have symptoms you will have to enter covid protocol and will have to be treated properly before you are able to leave. This is no brainer. If you get sick properly you will be not able to travel anyway.
4. Based on experience, the NHL feels stopping its season so the players can perform in someone else's tournament hurts more than helps, especially when the Olympics are not held in North America. The players disagree and cherish Olympic participation. (LOL what does NHL think they are).

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
This was published yesterday. The quote is current. This player seems to believe the 3 to 5 weeks. He gets his information from the NHLPA.
Edmonton Oilers center Connor McDavid calling the reported COVID-19 protocols in China, where positive cases will be forced to quarantine up to five weeks, "unsettling."
NHL, NHLPA agree to skip Beijing Olympics due to COVID-19 concerns: report | TheHill

In my link they didn't say the 5 weeks part is a lie. They said that it's 2 negative tests that you need, not minimum 3 weeks.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I don't understand what difference sitting out 1 week will make? Maybe 1 month but a week? Just messed up peoples schedules that's all.
It has nothing to do with Covid. NHL has to find a way to convince the Canadian government to accept relaxed testing standards for players. That's it.

If they can't figure it out, this whole season is going to go tits up. There is no other North American sports league that's in this position. I don't think people quite appreciate how difficult this situation is.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I enjoy watching Olympic Hockey, but this decision to not send NHL players is one that should help out the Caps. They are one of the older teams in the league and already decimated by injuries and COVID.

Just the idea of losing someone to COVID quarantine in China is a scary thought.
It will help the Caps keeping guys like Oshie and Backstrom at home. And hopefully it removes risk of a post-Olympics slump from Ovechkin, like we saw in 2010.

But the quarantine fears are being overblown. Two negative tests and you can leave China.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don’t get the hate on a hockey World Cup. Nobody gives a shit about soccer in the Olympics because the World Cup is better as a stand-alone production. They don’t even let all of the best players play in the Olympics for soccer since there’s an age limit specifically so they don’t take away the allure of the World Cup.

If there’s a best on best tournament of nations in hockey I don’t care if it’s the Olympics or the World Cup.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don’t get the hate on a hockey World Cup. Nobody gives a shit about soccer in the Olympics because the World Cup is better as a stand-alone production. They don’t even let all of the best players play in the Olympics for soccer since there’s an age limit specifically so they don’t take away the allure of the World Cup.

If there’s a best on best tournament of nations in hockey I don’t care if it’s the Olympics or the World Cup.

If the World Cup of Hockey was legit, sure. But it's not. It's only happened three times, it doesn't occur at regular intervals, is run by one of the leagues rather than hockey's international governing body, isn't played with international rules, and the most recent edition had the bizarre "NA Young Guns" and "Rest of Europe" teams which played off as a total gimmick.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Soccer is already world-wide and they have created their own World Cup product which has been played for 100 years. Regularly.

The World Cup of Hockey is a joke in terms of gaining new fans. It's a friendly-like tournament that current fans can enjoy, sort of like the All-Star Weekend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad