League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-2 Regular Season Edition, Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
@twabby okay drop the act for a second and tell me, is that really what you think? That fans are mad that he got COVID and that’s just… it? Like one solitary incident in a vacuum? Can you honestly say that? I think you’re arguing against a boogeyman you helped make by framing the argument dishonestly back then.

Similarly, why do you even feel the need to talk about point scoring to address this new dedication instead of, say, him staying in the area to work out in the off-season and coming in looking healthy and happy? These are humans, you know.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Tuch, Krebs, and a 1st seems a little light but really they had to get this over with already. Krebs is a nice prospect and Tuch is a local guy at least

Reactions: crab

alexthekidd

Nov 18, 2008
London
Salary issues aside, what does that trade look like from the Caps perspective? Mantha, McMichael 1st + 2nd. Seems light if Eichel gets back to anything close to what he was - though that is of course a rather large if.

Reactions: crab

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So Vegas will need to move a contract once Stone is ready to return. Dadonov you'd think.

Pacioretty - Eichel - Stone eh? Stephenson at 3C. Shiny indeed.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The price Vegas paid for Max Patches was similar to what they paid for Eichel. Tatar, Suzuki, and a 2nd isn’t markedly different than Tuch, Krebs, 1st, and 2nd, especially considering they got a 3rd back from Buffalo (which is likely to be very close to a 2nd) along with Eichel.

Jun 15, 2007
Vegas is an extremely lucky franchise.

Pinning all their goaltending hopes on Lehner is extremely risky though. I think he will prevent them from winning anything.

Reactions: Calicaps

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
When will Eichel be back? What was the rush from a Vegas perspective?

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I think the rush was from the Eichel perspective. I'm guessing Buffalo was getting pressed to get this done so Jack can get his surgery and MAYBE get to the Olympics (3 months away)

Also if you're Vegas and everyone was hurt, might as well take on another hurt guy, hope you can grind out some wins, and make your push in the new year

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I think its a fine value this late in the game, but it didn't have to go this way. Making the fight so public and stripping him of his captaincy. The Sabres really mismanaged this but I guess they still came away with some okay value considering where they're at now

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
@twabby okay drop the act for a second and tell me, is that really what you think? That fans are mad that he got COVID and that’s just… it? Like one solitary incident in a vacuum? Can you honestly say that? I think you’re arguing against a boogeyman you helped make by framing the argument dishonestly back then.

Similarly, why do you even feel the need to talk about point scoring to address this new dedication instead of, say, him staying in the area to work out in the off-season and coming in looking healthy and happy? These are humans, you know.

I think fans looked for a scapegoat for last season’s disappointment and he was the most convenient one, despite what the numbers clearly said about him versus others on the team. The fact that getting COVID was used as any mark against him at all rather than seen as simply an unfortunate circumstance is indicative of this scapegoating.

As a further note, there is nothing to suggest his newfound dedication this offseason is at all the reason he’s done well this season. He did well last season too, and this was either misunderstood or completely ignored in favor of a false narrative. His season is simply a continuation of last year’s performance, with increased opportunity due mainly to Backstrom’s injury.

Reactions: Peeri and Hivemind

Jun 15, 2007
Tuch is the only good piece. I think Krebs is a bust.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What rush? For the price they paid, they clearly were able to wait out Buffalo to suppress the price a fair bit. Then in the final bit, they simply had to avoid Calgary coming in and swooping in for the trade. This is a far cry from what most of us thought Eichel would go for back in the Summer.

Reactions: twabby

Jun 15, 2007
Krebs is 20, with 13 career games (and has dominated the AHL in his short stints there). Absurd to declare him a bust at this point.
I'm not declaring him a bust right now. I just think he will be.

In general, I feel like you are too optimistic about prospects.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think fans looked for a scapegoat for last season’s disappointment and he was the most convenient one, despite what the numbers clearly said about him versus others on the team. The fact that getting COVID was used as any mark against him at all rather than seen as simply an unfortunate circumstance is indicative of this scapegoating.

As a further note, there is nothing to suggest his newfound dedication this offseason is at all the reason he’s done well this season. He did well last season too, and this was either misunderstood or completely ignored in favor of a false narrative. His season is simply a continuation of last year’s performance, with increased opportunity due mainly to Backstrom’s injury.

Let me summarize your post….

“Whaaaaa pooor Kuzy! Fans want him to play up to his talent, to show some dedication. It’s so unfair!”

now that he’s doing that, you want to discredit the rededication that the coach has mentioned in the press.

If he turns back into a toad when Backstrom returns, hit me up.

Reactions: g00n and Calicaps

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Vegas keeps getting good players at half-price! More teams should be this aggressive!

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Let me summarize your post….

“Whaaaaa pooor Kuzy! Fans want him to play up to his talent, to show some dedication. It’s so unfair!”

now that he’s doing that, you want to discredit the rededication that the coach has mentioned in the press.

No I want to credit the turnaround he made last season under Peter Laviolette, and I want to credit Peter Laviolette for likely helping to turn around his career last season. You apparently want to discredit this turnaround, which is disappointing.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Methinks Weekes' sources were wrong. Can't imagine Buffalo takes the Vegas package over the purported Calgary one.
Tkachuk has that high QO and then can hit UFA, though, so he would have been someone to flip. Whereas Tuch is signed pretty reasonably. Hard to say what else exactly Calgary offered. Their first rounder would carry more value but hard to gauge without knowing what else was involved. Calgary's deal at the very least would have been more complicated.

As far as value goes I'm not sure Eichel was going to return more back in the summer. Tuch is a solid player. Krebs is a fairly smart playmaker. He's not Hague but he can be useful with a little more AHL time. Under the circumstances--which admittedly they'd mismanaged--it's about as good as could be expected.

The question is how much better this makes Vegas when Stephenson had already done well centering those two wingers. Surely Eichel won't be centering a third-line, right? Presumably subtracting Dadonov and also whatever else it takes to move him I don't know that I'd consider them truly top tier unless Pietrangelo gets his act together. Their forward depth isn't good and they'll really need Brisson to hit down the line to change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad