League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 Offseason Edition - Vol. 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
What is NHL.tv? NHLN? Center Ice? Something different?

NHLTV is the streaming of games through the NHL and subject to blackouts. NHLN is the NHL Network is only provided through a few services likes SLING and cable/satellite provider. So for most of use we have to do our research on which services that provide it and almost always the NHLN is extra or premium plan, except on SLINGTV. It's a worthless channel that will show a few Caps games just to get folks to subscribe. It's also an outlet of HNIC and Leaf's propaganda. So currently if you want to watch most Caps games you need to have NBCSN, NHL Network, and NHLTV. I use SLINGTV since I don't watch television other than hockey and they cover NBCSN and NHLN. You can buy their center ice package on SLINGTV, however it's a few bucks more than if you subscribe to NHL TV streaming. The new deal makes it easier to watch next season unless you hate ESPN and Disney. I don't like either or subscribe to them. Also, currently if you want to watch the playoffs you need to have certain news channels and the USA Network if you want to watch the first round of playoffs. Yes, I had to pay five bucks more to watch the first round and second round this past playoffs due to those channels.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I absolutely hate the ESPN deal and ESPN. I didn't like their coverages before and I don't subscribe to the channel now. I'm not going to subscribe to ESPN just to watch hockey. I'll find other outlets or find more useful things to do. It's bad enough now with NHL channel, NBCSN, and NBC dividing up all the games with almost everyone being Caps and then have to deal with blackouts during a COVID season. Sounds like I'll be saving myself some money next year. So glad I got to watch prime Ovy and gang before this.

There was a period in the 90s when you could only really get the NHL (other than local sports channels) on ESPN2. I have good memories of those days, possibly because the game was different. Or maybe the announcing was better (Gary Thorne, Clement, Panger, etc instead of Olczyk and McGuire). If not better then more tolerable.

<i>ESPN National Hockey Night</i>

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
There was a period in the 90s when you could only really get the NHL (other than local sports channels) on ESPN2. I have good memories of those days, possibly because the game was different. Or maybe the announcing was better (Gary Thorne, Clement, Panger, etc instead of Olczyk and McGuire). If not better then more tolerable.

I used to like Pang, but now that he is in St. Louis he is hard to listen to. Just way to homer and way to pro-goalie.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
ESPN+ is worth it for $4.99 or just get the bundle if you like Hulu/Disney

that being said, I have to think the nhl tv component will be an add on within ESPN+? Like they already show a fair amount of games and those will be free with espn+ but I imagine if you want a similar set up to what NHL TV offers, that would be another add on. I don’t know why it wouldn’t. Or they just raise the monthly price of ESPN+. Either way, probably worth it.

I’ve never really had to deal with nhl tv as I’m in market. YouTube TV is my choice here in VA, works well imo and I get every game, haven’t really had an issue ever.

anyway, if you haven’t already, time to get a roku tv or something similar. Subscription based services are the future. Time to ditch the cable box

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

that being said, I have to think the nhl tv component will be an add on within ESPN+? Like they already show a fair amount of games and those will be free with espn+ but I imagine if you want a similar set up to what NHL TV offers, that would be another add on. I don’t know why it wouldn’t. Or they just raise the monthly price of ESPN+. Either way, probably worth it.

I’ve never really had to deal with nhl tv as I’m in market. YouTube TV is my choice here in VA, works well imo and I get every game, haven’t really had an issue ever.

anyway, if you haven’t already, time to get a roku tv or something similar. Subscription based services are the future. Time to ditch the cable box

Yeah I dropped DirectTV after decades when the Redskins just became too disgusting to pay for anymore, but Youtube.TV price has gone up to $65/month anyway, so its basically the same (YT.tv was $30 when I signed up 3 years ago). I've looked at the other streaming services and none of them seem all that great for the little savings. Its really as if all the subscription services got together with the cable companies and just said "lets collude to keep the prices up". Then you add in all the premium subscriptions like HBO, Disney+, now ESPN+, etc and I'm right back to the same damn $100+ per month that Direct TV was costing before.

/rant

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

I agree with you. The first stint was pretty awful, however 1994 to 1997 was pretty good. I did like having Thorne call games and NHL Tonight was pretty decent compared to NHL Network's version. I was spoiled in the 80s and 90s with open air satellite. CBC had epic broadcasters like Dick Irvin Jr., Bob Cole, Harry Neale, Armitage, Wittman, and of course Gallivan. If the setup wasn't on the Canadian channels in our house, I could find open air games from Midwest sports channel and even HTS for Caps games. Midwest Sports Channel had some great Central Division games and during the week I would watch games in French on RDS which were mostly Habs and Nordiques. This was such a great time for television hockey. By far the game was different and the broadcasting was great. I almost want to cry when I watch HNIC now. I have to remind myself how good we have it with Joe B. and Locker. From a business point of view, the NHL had to choose this route. To think there was a time I had to explain what hockey is to other US folks and even today in some areas some cable providers don't carry the NHL Network. The game has grown in popularity so much since then and I do have to give ESPN coverage some credit to that during the 90s.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I used to like Pang, but now that he is in St. Louis he is hard to listen to. Just way to homer and way to pro-goalie.

For me, I used not like having the late Dave Strader call games with Caps, especially during the playoffs. He always seemed to be for the other team and some hurtful games were called by him including the 1996 late night OT game versus the Pens when Juneau missed the penalty shot and then later on Nedved scored the GWG for the Pens. Other than that, Strader was pretty solid broadcaster.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

On Sling you can get this for around that price. They have different packages you can choose for like 5 bucks each. It's a lot cheaper than paying for DISH/Directv or cable packages.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We cut DirecTV when those asshats upped the price to $275/month, get the f*** out of here with that. We have XFinity steaming which has been great and actually decreased the cost of our internet because of the deal we got to extend — I pay less now for better internet and 225+ channels than I did just for internet before. We have the Disney+ bundle and we more than get our money’s worth.

I’d say all in all we’ve saved ourselves about $250 a month doing what we’re doing if you net out cutting DirecTV, decreasing our Comcast bill, and adding some of the streaming services. We’re probably $130ish all in for internet, TV, and other add-ons, which I find to be fair value.

Bring back Thorne and Clement you cowards!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
NHL.tv is what used to be Center Ice. Its the subscription to get all the out of market games... I only subscribe to the Caps games, so I watch them all either on NHL.tv or on NBC for the national games which are blacked out by NHL.tv.
NHL.TV is what used to be NHL Gamecenter Live. Center Ice is the cable package. NHL.TV/Gamecenter Live is the online streaming service.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
As an out of market fan, I used to have NHL.tv (and I cut cable a long time ago). But even with that, still around 1/4 of Caps games (and all the playoff games) were blacked out on NHL.tv. So I stopped paying for that a few years ago as well, and just rely on other means to watch games.

But I do pay for Disney+, so if the ESPN+ option for NHL.TV contains all the same functionality as NHL.TV currently does (namely being able to rewind games or watch them later), I'll be happy to gain that functionality back.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
McD with 3 points in the Oiler's 7-1 win over the Sens. Drai with 5 points.

Drai at 42 points in 28 games. McD with 48.

2 players at 1.5 points per game. That's pretty cool.

One would have to think they'll be active on the TDL. With their division and players who can dominate a game with weaker role players, they could repeat a few years ago.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well that blows.

listen brother....sounds like you need a TV upgrade....(or need to start downloading your TV apps)

Please tell your wife, I have pre-approved you for a nice 86”....

;)

My use case is tablet or built in TV Apps.

I’m not sure I’ve seen an ESPN+ app for my TVs (LGs).....but Hulu, Disney, etc....for sure.

now I guess if hockey is going to be there I will need to check for their ESPN+ TV app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad