League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 Offseason Edition - Vol. 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
The race is on as to which of these coaches gets fired first:

Krueger - Buffalo
Hynes - Preds
Torts - Blue Jackets

I'd be surprised if any of them makes it through the season.....

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Well, now we know why the league wanted to burn it's last year of the NBC deal...
NHL, ESPN, Disney reach groundbreaking seven-year rights deal

This deal is only for half of the Playoffs and 4/7 Stanley Cup Finals series, meaning another network is going to get the other half of the playoffs and the other 3 Cup finals. Which may end up being a shit show if we have to subscribe to two different services to watch those games. I'm certainly not subscribing to ESPN+ to watch the playoffs, that shit better be on ABC or ESPN regular.

Reading further, it gets worse.

Additionally, the NHL's out-of-market streaming package, with more than 1,000 games (formerly on NHL.TV), will now be available for fans to stream only as part of an ESPN+ subscription.

So do we have to have ESPN+ AND then subscribe to Center Ice (or whatever they call it)? Because that would be a deal breaker. Or does it come automatically with ESPN+, which sounds fishy.

Last edited:
Reactions: max21 and Calicaps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
NHL.tv is garbage anyway, since it blacks out all games on national coverage. Which basically renders it useless in playoffs.

The implication is that NHL.tv is now part of the Disney+ bundle (via ESPN+). It’ll still be garbage, but it’s garbage I’m already paying for via Disney+

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
NHL.tv is garbage anyway, since it blacks out all games on national coverage. Which basically renders it useless in playoffs.

The implication is that NHL.tv is now part of the Disney+ bundle (via ESPN+). It’ll still be garbage, but it’s garbage I’m already paying for via Disney+

Its still going to work that way:

Throughout the regular season, 25 games from the NHL schedule will be carried live, exclusively on ABC or ESPN.

So some games cannot be seen on the subscriptions, only on ESPN or ABC, which means you'll need a cable package or OTA antenna to get those channels, right?

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
My problem with this is that its only half of the playoffs (one Conference Final series and half of all First Round and Second Round game). Who is going to get the other half, and what do I have to pay for that?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
My problem with this is that its only half of the playoffs (one Conference Final series and half of all First Round and Second Round game). Who is going to get the other half, and what do I have to pay for that?

More likely than not, I think its going to be NBC/USA/Peacock.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
What is NHL.tv? NHLN? Center Ice? Something different?

NHL.tv is what used to be Center Ice. Its the subscription to get all the out of market games... I only subscribe to the Caps games, so I watch them all either on NHL.tv or on NBC for the national games which are blacked out by NHL.tv.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I think NHL.tv is dead, since they refer it to formerly NHL.tv

That subscription is now ESPN+. Not sure if they will have a full season package like they did for NHL.tv or if it will be the same monthly subscription model that ESPN+ currently has.

Additionally, the NHL's out-of-market streaming package, with more than 1,000 games (formerly on NHL.TV), will now be available for fans to stream only as part of an ESPN+ subscription.

And I don't know what it will mean for the few games that are on the other partner's network (whether it be NBC, FOX, Turner, or someone else). Will they also be included for streaming on ESPN+?

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
NHL.tv is what used to be Center Ice. Its the subscription to get all the out of market games... I only subscribe to the Caps games, so I watch them all either on NHL.tv or on NBC for the national games which are blacked out by NHL.tv.

I have had center ice. NBA and NFL still have those services and I would expect no change to the NHL's version. I believe that those services are all coordinated by the same group of people or thats the way the marketing and advertising for them appears

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I have had center ice. NBA and NFL still have those services and I would expect no change to the NHL's version. I believe that those services are all coordinated by the same group of people or thats the way the marketing and advertising for them appears

Well thats just it, the NHL's version is going to change. The NHL.tv will go away. It will now require you to buy ESPN+ to get slightly more than half the games and half the playoffs. Cost wise its not more expensive, it actually may be cheaper, but its no longer going to be something you simply buy directly from NHL or your cable provider. And it will now require you to buy TWO subscriptions if you want to get all the playoffs and Cup finals.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well thats just it, the NHL's version is going to change. The NHL.tv will go away. It will now require you to buy ESPN+ to get slightly more than half the games and half the playoffs. Cost wise its not more expensive, it actually may be cheaper, but its no longer going to be something you simply buy directly from NHL or your cable provider. And it will now require you to buy TWO subscriptions if you want to get all the playoffs and Cup finals.

Shows you what I know then.

Reactions: Calicaps

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
You can't spin this as a bad thing though. ESPN's new contract with the NHL (and it's only partial and not exclusive) is rumored to be over $400 million a year. The current/expiring NHL contract with NBC is only at $200 million a year. It's almost as if we're a real sport.

That's more than double what the NHL currently gets. And there will be another broadcasting partner to add to that.

And this is without taking the Canadian side of TV contracts at $400 million CAD a year with Rogers Communications for I think a few more years into account.

Last edited:

crab

Jan 26, 2019
I imagine you could find a way to sign up for the Canadian version of NHL Gamecenter Live using a VPN. It’s offered by Rogers who has the rights in Canada.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
What is NHL.tv? NHLN? Center Ice? Something different?
It's the streaming service formerly known as Gamecenter.

Nope. Center Ice is the television PPV product (I think it continues to go by that name). Gamecenter is the former name for the streaming service.

Which reminds me... If you buy Center Ice through a cable provider, you used to get the streaming service included. I bet that goes away with the move to ESPN+. :squint:

EDIT: Didn't see the rest of the thread before. Yes, the transition is as @kicksavedave describes. Just the nomenclature was wrong. (though my Center Ice question remains).

Last edited:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I absolutely hate the ESPN deal and ESPN. I didn't like their coverages before and I don't subscribe to the channel now. I'm not going to subscribe to ESPN just to watch hockey. I'll find other outlets or find more useful things to do. It's bad enough now with NHL channel, NBCSN, and NBC dividing up all the games with almost everyone being Caps and then have to deal with blackouts during a COVID season. Sounds like I'll be saving myself some money next year. So glad I got to watch prime Ovy and gang before this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad