League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 Offseason Edition - Vol. 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
4D Carly JS Dillon Orlov
4F Backy Kuz Wilson Vrana

UFA Ovie

Expose Oshie

Just an idea, I want to keep Oshie but some here people want him gone.

it wouldn’t surprise me if Seattle took Eller in this scenario. It’s a way safer contract in a more important position.

Last edited:
Reactions: HecticGlow

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
What is your point? You are saying that these guys are rich and so they can concentrate better than you can in the center of a shit storm? Its like you are saying that when people are up in your face constantly harrassing you that because you are rich, you won't notice it. Thats silly. As we have seen it doesnt take a big distraction to pull a little focus and it doesnt take much of a loss of focus to lose.

Yeah you are right. My post was a bit of a knee jerk reaction to my own situation. I've been working long hours lately (for a fraction of what these guys get paid) and I was feeling sorry for myself :laugh:

I will, however, always consider professional sports-people to be absurdly over paid. They entertain us - they don't save lives, they don't educate, they don't cure diseases. So I've never been able to muster a lot of sympathy towards them for
media scrums and bad press and all that other unwanted attention. The price of fame is high, but so is their income....

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
This season and the Playoffs will likely determine a lot on who they are going to leave exposed. If we don't get to the Playoffs or flame out early again, then i would assume they would leave one of the more expensive guys that under-achieves exposed because that would be the easy way to change your line-up around a little bit and clear some cap. They are likely to atleast try and stay competitive next season but that's easier said than done. But these are the decisions that will decide GMBM's future when they finally enter the rebuild phase. Fans are quick to look back and throw the GM under the bus if his decisions lead to team being stuck with bad contracts. Hindsight is always easy.

I would assume that if they stay competitive and atleast make some noise in the Playoffs, they won't expose Oshie. If they flame out early or miss out altogether they could do that.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah you are right. My post was a bit of a knee jerk reaction to my own situation. I've been working long hours lately (for a fraction of what these guys get paid) and I was feeling sorry for myself :laugh:..

They make a lot of money. Yet, they are still people. You dont know when their girlfriend cheats on them and they are heartbroken. All you know is they turned the puck over badly for a couple weeks. You wouldnt know that Olie Kolzig might have gone thru a bad stretch when his son was diagnosed as autistic or that his behavior was making life at home a nightmare.

If you dont think the constant buzz that your job was being taken from you wouldnt effect your performance or your behavior at all, then you are an impressive person.

Ive never made pro athlete money but I have been famous for extended periods of time and its not a walk in the park.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
This season and the Playoffs will likely determine a lot on who they are going to leave exposed. If we don't get to the Playoffs or flame out early again, then i would assume they would leave one of the more expensive guys that under-achieves exposed because that would be the easy way to change your line-up around a little bit and clear some cap. They are likely to atleast try and stay competitive next season but that's easier said than done. But these are the decisions that will decide GMBM's future when they finally enter the rebuild phase. Fans are quick to look back and throw the GM under the bus if his decisions lead to team being stuck with bad contracts. Hindsight is always easy.

I would assume that if they stay competitive and atleast make some noise in the Playoffs, they won't expose Oshie. If they flame out early or miss out altogether they could do that.

Are you thinking Vrana? He's due for another contract soon, he's probably going to keep scoring at a clip that will get him a nice raise, but he's flamed out entirely in two playoffs in a row now. Although I could still see him having solid trade value being our better option (protecting him) than to let him leave for nothing.

BTW, I would LOVE to see GMBM perform a full rebuild here. We're almost due, but likely not as long as Ovi and Backie are here. McPhee got what seems like 34 years. BMac should get one full rebuild after the Ovi era ends and I'm excited to see how he wheels and deals to stock up.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Have you ever been inside a media shit storm? Its breathtaking. You cant think. Now, it might be that COVID takes the air out of that pressure because the media may not yet be there and in your face ALL THE TIME.

Seems like you’re trying to spin it up yourself lol...

If Ovy states like he already has, that the Caps are the only team he’ll play for...I don’t see the foreboding “storm” you’re suggesting.

I wouldn’t let the media threat dictate my roster strategy if I was GMBM.

Reactions: Calicaps

Jun 15, 2007
I really think txpd is exaggerating the shit storm here. If this was the NBA and if Ovechkin didn't spend his entire offseason in Russia, sure.

When Alfredsson left the Sens and Sundin left the Leafs, it wasn't really a shitstorm. The media ran some articles but it really wasn't something that was hard to tolerate.

That said, I believe Ovechkin will be signed before he hits UFA.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Perhaps this is a hot take and the answer may depend on how well or poorly we do in the playoffs ....

Do we even want to resign Ovie to 4-5 yrs at 10-12M per?

or

Expose Oshie, not resign Ovie and start the rebuild now

This nuclesu is only getting older and is already put us in cap hell so we cant really change much.

Jun 15, 2007
I want Ovechkin to re-sign with the Capitals, even if it means the team might be worse off with his contract on the books.

There's a limit right? Say Ovechkin is now a 30g 50p defensive liability player for the rest of his career. You still want him at 5x11m, damn the consequences?

Jun 15, 2007
Yes. I want to see him chase Gretzky in a Capitals uniform even if it means the team stinks.

Let's say the team stinks so much it makes the chase impossible. In that scenario, would you rather he do it in another uniform (on a far away Western team) or not do it at all?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Let's say the team stinks so much it makes the chase impossible. In that scenario, would you rather he do it in another uniform (on a far away Western team) or not do it at all?

If the only way he could catch Gretzky is if he had to do it in another uniform then I guess I'd prefer that option over him not catching Gretzky, but I'm not sure why that scenario would come to pass. It seems like the Capitals more than any team would prioritize getting him the ice time necessary to catch Gretzky, especially if fans can return to the building soon and continue paying money to watch the chase.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Perhaps this is a hot take and the answer may depend on how well or poorly we do in the playoffs ....

Do we even want to resign Ovie to 4-5 yrs at 10-12M per?

or

Expose Oshie, not resign Ovie and start the rebuild now

This nuclesu is only getting older and is already put us in cap hell so we cant really change much.
Heathen talk!!!!

ps — I’m just ribbing you

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
We’ve had (or are still having) our gloriously sustained run of team excellence thanks to Ovechkin. It’s now 16yrs and counting.

So I am *FIRMLY* in the “he retires a Cap and plays as long and for as much as he wants to make $$$ and play” camp.

Would I welcome him to take a more team friendly contract, so he can surround himself w talent thus giving himself and the team a chance to win each and every year he’s playing? I sure would.

Would I begrudge him taking a massive AAV deal and allow himself the ability to bankroll his growing family for years and years to come? I sure would NOT.

I love the Ovy juxtaposition we can all take. Few times in life the decision we witness simply won’t be wrong (in my humble opinion)

Jun 15, 2007
If Ovi fails in terms of quality of play I d think he will just retire. Actually he stated just that on numerous occasions iirc.

35+ contract. Him retiring wouldn't help the cap at all.

Unless he signs a flat contract structure. But most players want more money up front.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If Ovi fails in terms of quality of play I d think he will just retire. Actually he stated just that on numerous occasions iirc.

I’m starting to wonder if he may realize the math is insurmountable at some point and pack it up early and head back to Russia to play/retire....passing The Nameless One for 3rd and Howe for 2nd would be big in their own rights.

the thought of the games missed for various reasons over his career, most out of his control is disheartening.

I too want him signed, pretty much no matter what. I don’t think he will push for a damaging cap hit.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
35+ contract. Him retiring wouldn't help the cap at all.

Unless he signs a flat contract structure. But most players want more money up front.

At least a few players have done the 1 year deals in their later years to avoid this issue. I doubt Ovi would do a 5 year deal if he wasn't committed to serving all 5 years. So maybe we see him do 2 year chunks instead. I forget, is Ovi his own agent like Backie is? Its always helpful when the player and the team can just look each other in the eye and do what's best.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
wont deny that, but it’s the best way to stay competitive IMO. We are losing a good player, so to me it’s how can we best replace that spot. We can’t replace TJ at all.

Its true. I think at some point Oshie is going to underperform his cap hit. Without that I would keep the guy as a 4th liner til he cant tie his skates anymore. Like Orpik and Beagle Oshie has an outsized effect on the team. You have to try and keep him as long as possible. I think we are hearing evidence that Dillon has some of the same going on. Of course then there is Chara who appears to totally be part of the team

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Ovie wants to stay and I firmly believe the NHL has talked to him behind the scenes and have told him that they want him to try for the record.

After all, this is sports entertainment and there is no bigger hockey story out there.

Ovie is also motivated by his patriotism and love of his country. I am sure that there are many, many Russians that want him to get the record, as well.

If he finishes the year at 730 and then has years of 40, 40, 30, 30, 30 then that's 900. Tough but not impossible. Especially with scoring trending up a bit. Provided there are full seasons, of course, and he stays relatively injury free.

Hopefully, Ovie won't take a cap crippling contract and surrounds himself with talent that'll make it much easier to get the record.

If he does ask for 10-12 million, though, I wouldn't begrudge him that. He absolutely deserves it.

Reactions: tenken00

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ovie wants to stay and I firmly believe the NHL has talked to him behind the scenes and have told him that they want him to try for the record.

After all, this is sports entertainment and there is no bigger hockey story out there.

Ovie is also motivated by his patriotism and love of his country. I am sure that there are many, many Russians that want him to get the record, as well.

If he finishes the year at 730 and then has years of 40, 40, 30, 30, 30 then that's 900. Tough but not impossible. Especially with scoring trending up a bit. Provided there are full seasons, of course, and he stays relatively injury free.

Hopefully, Ovie won't take a cap crippling contract and surrounds himself with talent that'll make it much easier to get the record.

If he does ask for 10-12 million, though, I wouldn't begrudge him that. He absolutely deserves it.

now you have me wondering has any 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 year old ever had a stretch like that (assuming no), then what’s the closest anyone has gotten in the 38-40 year window....to those totals?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
There really isn't any precident other than Gordie Howe. His 35-40 years were quite productive. Also aided by the NHL expansion.

Mind you, Ovie is a unique player who has maintained a .6 goal per game peak longer than anyone. I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad