League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 Offseason Edition - Vol. 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Hutton, Ullmark and Tokarski will all be UFAs at the conclusion of this season. Hence why Samsonov or Vanecek would be attractive to the Sabres.

Speaking of Samsonov and Vanecek, not totally familiar with how the expansion draft will work for them as I know the Caps can protect only one goalie, does it mean one of these goalies will have to be made available for the expansion? If so then all the more reason to include one of them in a deal with the Sabres.

Tenken and I did some game theory and worked this all out. There are only three possible outcomes here, all easy decisions.

1: Sammy and Vanny both suck, in which case who cares which one we protect?
2: Sammy and Vanny both excel, in which case we may lose one but we are assured to keep one.
3: One or the other of Sammy or Vanny excel while the other sucks, in which case we have an easy decision who to protect.

I've stopped worrying about the goalies in the ED... I am too focused on the importance of FO's right now :D

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So Kuzy (former 1st who has played like it) and four other 1sts in various stages of development. Five firsts total. I just can't see BMac mortgaging the future for Eichel like that. All for what is an incremental upgrade to Kuzy. Its not we don't have a #2C or a #1C. We have a 1 and 2 C that is very competitive with the NHL landscape. Eichel would surely be an upgrade, no doubt, but how much of an upgrade over Kuzy (who is not old by any stretch), is the key issue.

Its intriguing for sure, but I think that +, for what is an incremental upgrade, is too steep.

doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that Kuzy could walk at the end of this deal....maybe choose to go home and get fat and lazier.....or quite hockey altogether.

5 more years after this until he’s a UFA @ 28.......the gulf is massive in Eichel’s favor value-wise IMO...equivalent of 5 1sts might be pretty close. If he retires a Cap, seems certain we would have won that deal.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So Kuzy (former 1st who has played like it) and four other 1sts in various stages of development. Five firsts total. I just can't see BMac mortgaging the future for Eichel like that. All for what is an incremental upgrade to Kuzy. Its not we don't have a #2C or a #1C. We have a 1 and 2 C that is very competitive with the NHL landscape. Eichel would surely be an upgrade, no doubt, but how much of an upgrade over Kuzy (who is not old by any stretch), is the key issue.

Its intriguing for sure, but I think that +, for what is an incremental upgrade, is too steep.
I'm just saying if I was the Buffalo GM that's what I'd ask for. Trading Eichel means you're telling the fanbase they're going through another rebuild (which may be self evident at this point anyway). The GM who trades him will have, "traded Jack Eichel" on his resume and will want to ensure he doesn't get hosed. They also already traded a disgruntled Ryan O'Reilly to St. Louis and watched him become a Stanley Cup Championship, winner of the Conn Smythe, and new captain of the St. Louis Blues. If I was in that seat, which is not an enviable one to be in, I'd ask for the moon.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm just saying if I was the Buffalo GM that's what I'd ask for. Trading Eichel means you're telling the fanbase they're going through another rebuild (which may be self evident at this point anyway). The GM who trades him will have, "traded Jack Eichel" on his resume and will want to ensure he doesn't get hosed. They also already traded a disgruntled Ryan O'Reilly to St. Louis and watched him become a Stanley Cup Championship, winner of the Conn Smythe, and new captain of the St. Louis Blues. If I was in that seat, which is not an enviable one to be in, I'd ask for the moon.
Man ROR had been shit on for his play for that franchise non stop back in the day. Only tongueless weren't talking shit about him. How the turnes tabled..

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yeah, exactly. The only thing more painful for Sabres fans than trading Eichel would be trading Eichel and watching him win a Cup with the Rangers. I think it's likely they punt him out west if and when they do trade him.
I have to think Eichel has some say in where he goes, no? I'm too lazy to look up his contract terms but I assume there's some kind of NMC/NTC that he controls.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Pretty much sums it all up. What Buffalo would need to make it acceptible, vs what teams like the Caps would pay, probably aren't going to align. The owner of the Sabres would be better off firing the GM again than to tell fans "we gave it a good three years with Eichel and Dahlen and now lets rebuild again."

Have to imagine if Eichel pouts his way out of there, others will want to follow.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Pretty much sums it all up. What Buffalo would need to make it acceptible, vs what teams like the Caps would pay, probably aren't going to align. The owner of the Sabres would be better off firing the GM again than to tell fans "we gave it a good three years with Eichel and Dahlen and now lets rebuild again."

Have to imagine if Eichel pouts his way out of there, others will want to follow.

If both Samsonov and Vanny were lights out, I could see them biting on a Kuzy + Sammy + AA + 32nd pick and anything else. I don't think they've had any sort of stability there since Ryan Miller back in the 1890's. But yeah... there's been a few setbacks. Maybe in the future who knows.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Yall make it sound impossible. As was said, it all depends on Eichel. If he demands out his market price will drop and drop big. Remember what happened with ROR? Guy said I don't want to play for yall. And what they got for him? Peanuts. And it was after countless debates here on HF where people were refusing offers with good roster players+1st rd picks. Once he wants out it's a bidding war. And if there's player you have to go hard after it's Eichel. I have little to no belief that Kuzy is still game about his career. If he's the centerpiece of the package...pack that baby up and drive him to the airport.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Man ROR had been shit on for his play for that franchise non stop back in the day. Only tongueless weren't talking shit about him. How the turnes tabled..
bf62d0a9d740ab40430f456cb5bab54a9f2dab97.gifv

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
One of Vegas goalies Is most definitely going to be picked by Seattle
Per the expansion rules, Seattle will have to pick 3 goalies. From a cap perspective would have to think picking a Caps goalie would be enticing.

Sorry if I’ve missed any hidden sarcasm or irony, but neither MAF or Lehner are getting selected by the Kraken unless they find their way onto another team first, which is unlikely (Lehner only just signed, MAF has a full NMC and isn’t going to waive it so he can end up in Seattle). Vegas is exempt from the expansion draft.

There is almost no circumstance in which the Caps protect Vanecek over Samsonov, even if it were arguably the best move. They see too much in Sammy – first round pick, his KHL credentials – to give him away for free, this early in his career.

That said, my hunch is that the Caps are banking on a guy with a $2.5million+ salary being taken, otherwise they’ll be over the cap next season unless they can trade a guy away. And that’s before you factor in Vrana and Ovi’s next contracts. Seattle taking a guy like Kempny or Dillon would be mighty helpful from a cap perspective, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they send a pick Seattle’s way to get Kempny off their books for his final year.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
Per the expansion rules, Seattle will have to pick 3 goalies. From a cap perspective would have to think picking a Caps goalie would be enticing.

Some 'help' here anybody.... because I dont claim to know.. but according to:

Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

which among other things states:

- "All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits."

So, do not VV and Sami qualify for that exemption? Again, I'm not a 'front office' guy... so I dont know.
-what is the definition of a "first-year NHL Player" or "second-year NHL Player" ?

...and with regards to exposed players, each team(other than Vegas) must expose:

"One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list."

Would Copley suffice ?? He is signed thru '22 I believe. I'm not saying Seattle would choose him, but... ?

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sorry if I’ve missed any hidden sarcasm or irony, but neither MAF or Lehner are getting selected by the Kraken unless they find their way onto another team first, which is unlikely (Lehner only just signed, MAF has a full NMC and isn’t going to waive it so he can end up in Seattle). Vegas is exempt from the expansion draft.

There is almost no circumstance in which the Caps protect Vanecek over Samsonov, even if it were arguably the best move. They see too much in Sammy – first round pick, his KHL credentials – to give him away for free, this early in his career.

That said, my hunch is that the Caps are banking on a guy with a $2.5million+ salary being taken, otherwise they’ll be over the cap next season unless they can trade a guy away. And that’s before you factor in Vrana and Ovi’s next contracts. Seattle taking a guy like Kempny or Dillon would be mighty helpful from a cap perspective, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they send a pick Seattle’s way to get Kempny off their books for his final year.

lol you’ve been watching the last year right? ;) Seattle would take him why exactly? Barring a massive rebound the rest of the season....I doubt it.

I think we lose Siege or someone else....

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
lol you’ve been watching the last year right? ;) Seattle would take him why exactly? Barring a massive rebound the rest of the season....I doubt it.

I think we lose Siege or someone else....
Sammy hasn’t looked good the last 12 months, absolutely. But that’s not in keeping with his pre-NHL junior and professional record, and I don’t see GMBM deciding in the next six months that a guy who was a highly-prized prospect until 5 mins ago is a dud.

And while I like Vanecek and would like to see him stay on and succeed with this team, we’re still only playing him through necessity rather than pure merit. I’m not saying he can’t grow into a starter position one day, but if VV was our established #1 we would all be calling for an upgrade – it’s not like he stepped into the role and then demonstrated elite goaltending. He’s been good, but I think it’s much easier to replace 2021’s VV next season than replace who they expect(ed) IS to be in 2022.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of TJ Oshie and the way he plays, but I would either not protect him or trade him to Seattle so they would not pick a player we want to retain. Oshie will turn 35 in December and will still have four years of his 5.75 contract remaining after this season. Plus just seems like the right fit, spending his early youth and a little bit of H.S. in Washigton. Seems like the type of player you want as a poster boy/spokesperson for a new hockey team and possible first captain. Olympic heroics and all that. Mentioned before, he was wearing a Seattle Seahawks 12th man ball cap in the recent Doc Emrick televsion tribute.

Caps are going to need that 5.75 next year to address some of Vrana and Ovechkin's next contracts.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Some 'help' here anybody.... because I dont claim to know.. but according to:

Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

which among other things states:

- "All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits."

So, do not VV and Sami qualify for that exemption? Again, I'm not a 'front office' guy... so I dont know.
-what is the definition of a "first-year NHL Player" or "second-year NHL Player" ?

...and with regards to exposed players, each team(other than Vegas) must expose:

"One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list."

Would Copley suffice ?? He is signed thru '22 I believe. I'm not saying Seattle would choose him, but... ?

In the past, the rules stated "Professional" players instead of specifically NHL players, which lead many to believe it applied to guys who had been in the AHL for more than 2 years or AHL and NHL combined for more than 2 years. In that situation both IS and VV would be eligible. If the rule is truly "NHL players" then both of them would be exempt unless they count Sammy's 2 partial seasons with the Caps as full seasons.

So if Sammy and Vanny are truly exempt, then they (krackheads) can pick from Copley or Anderson or even take their chances with The King. In other words, we'd be 100% safe on goalies and we would lose a skater instead, which was always most likely.

Reactions: chilimac
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad