League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 Offseason Edition - Vol. 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I’m not disagreeing with that. Just pointing out he had success in the 2 seasons after winning the cup. But 3.5m cap hit is not bad for a 20 goal scorer depth player with a cup on his resume. Plenty of teams would want that. He’s only 16 games removed from essentially back to back 20 goal seasons. Just seems like there is more at play here
We shall see if he clears waivers if lots of teams want him

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Did a quick lookup on DSP to find he’s currently unemployed. He had decent numbers for Kunlun last season in the KHL. Kind of surprised he isn’t playing somewhere in Europe.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
In hindsight, 2018 was just such lightning in a bottle. DSP, Connolly, Beagle at his best, Orpik working his magic, the crazy bounce off Eller in game 3 against CBJ. THE SAVE. Just crazy. Certain franchises can take this for granted. We can't. In hindsight, we can see how hard it is.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not disagreeing with that. Just pointing out he had success in the 2 seasons after winning the cup. But 3.5m cap hit is not bad for a 20 goal scorer depth player with a cup on his resume. Plenty of teams would want that. He’s only 16 games removed from essentially back to back 20 goal seasons. Just seems like there is more at play here

I think there a good chance his best year will be the one where he was on a stacked team here....

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
We shall see if he clears waivers if lots of teams want him

This year, that won’t necessarily indicate much. So many teams have internal caps, and those that don’t are often pressed up against the salary cap that I can’t imagine many teams have room to add a guy like that without retention or moving salary out. Him being waived doesn’t necessarily indicate teams aren’t interested in a trade, either - it might be that the Panthers want to make sure they’re not retaining if they don’t have to, or don’t want to pay a sweetener to lose the salary, so are trying waivers first.

Also worth noting BC has played a number of games on the Panthers’ fourth line, which isn’t exactly the place for a scorer to rediscover their game. Hope he gets a fresh chance to get back to what he does well.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Didn't realize Buffalo got blanked twice this weekend losing 3-0 in back-t0-backs against Philly. Woof, they're a mess. I didn't expect them to be a playoff team but they seemed good enough to at least be competitive. And Krueger's handling of Skinner is wild -- I thought he and Hall both looked dangerous but unlucky against Washington. Hard to see how playing him on the 4th line or scratching him makes any sense since they guys they're throwing out instead of him certainly aren't as good.

Eichel for Kuzy+.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Eichel for Kuzy+ has been circling around here for while. Time for it to gain some serious steam is now. Use the hashtag #EichelforKuz and spam the hell out of Maclellan's twitter. Make it happen, boys!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Eichel for Kuzy+ is such a ridiculous fantasy. Why would Buffalo do that with their captain and best player unless the haul coming back was insane, and giving up an insane haul for an incremental upgrade to Kuzy doesn't make any sense for us.

Imagine what the + would really need to be to entice Buffalo to part with Eichel, then imagine BMac thinking that makes sense. I can't see any place where those two connect.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Jun 15, 2007
Eichel for Kuzy+ is such a ridiculous fantasy. Why would Buffalo do that with their captain and best player unless the haul coming back was insane, and giving up an insane haul for an incremental upgrade to Kuzy doesn't make any sense for us.

Imagine what the + would really need to be to entice Buffalo to part with Eichel, then imagine BMac thinking that makes sense. I can't see any place where those two connect.

It's all predicated on Eichel refusing to play for Buffalo any longer and demanding a trade.

Something that isn't probable but not unlikely either.

Jun 15, 2007
Has anyone ever even heard him hint at that? Or are we just hoping it happens?

How often does that actually happen with a top pick/star player/captain?

“And there were conversations last year, and what I was told was the Sabres just said ‘we are not ready to do this.’ Teams made offers. It was communicated that he was restless. I don't think he ever asked for a trade. I don't think he ever asked for a trade but he was restless and teams knew it."

Jack Eichel Buffalo Sabres NHL trade rumours getting louder (yahoo.com)

No, he hasn't asked for a trade. But he has said he's unhappy. Which means unless things improve, he might ask for one. Things are not improving.

It's not completely made up by fans on internet message boards.

Jun 15, 2007
Btw, I don't even think Eichel is that good.

I'm just extremely pissed at Kuzy. Guy is a waste of talent.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
In hindsight, 2018 was just such lightning in a bottle. DSP, Connolly, Beagle at his best, Orpik working his magic, the crazy bounce off Eller in game 3 against CBJ. THE SAVE. Just crazy. Certain franchises can take this for granted. We can't. In hindsight, we can see how hard it is.
Crosby made mention of this very thing after the Caps knocked them out in 2018. In so many words he referenced how a team's playoffs fate could be decided at times just by inches and breaks good and bad.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Um, I disagree! Eichel with 36 goals and 42 assists in 68 games last season. He's a 24 year old 1C who's only going to get better. Maybe a kings ransome it'll take to get him, but these types of players don't come along that often.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

Partially agree. Kuzy is indeed a waste of talent. But Eichel is that good. He's just losing motivation day by day. I would too if I was him. He's the type of player who would be encouraged to take on a leading role on a good team and will excel at that but gets bored and loses all luster playing for a dysfunctional franchise.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Eichel is easily a top 10 forward in the league. Would have no hesitation giving up Kuzy + McMichael/Lapierre/AA/Feverbaby + 1st if he was available. Would give up more to be honest. Eichel and Backstrom would be a top 2-3 center combo in the league, maybe the best, and along with Lars and Dowd I think you have a convincing argument that Washington would have the best 1-2-3-4 center lineup in the league. And he’s only 24 so he can be “the guy” at 1C as Nicky ages. There may not even be a rebuild if you get Eichel, just a retool.

If you don’t think he’s that good, name 10 forwards better than him.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Eichel is easily a top 10 forward in the league. Would have no hesitation giving up Kuzy + McMichael/Lapierre/AA/Feverbaby + 1st if he was available. Might even give up more to be honest. Eichel and Backstrom would be a top 2-3 center combo in the league, maybe the best, and along with Lars and Dowd I think you have a convincing argument that Washington would have the best 1-2-3-4 center lineup in the league.

What did Locker say over the weekend, you build teams up the middle. Yep a center corps of Eichel/Backstrom/Eller would be phenomenal.

I've noted it before, that I think the Sabres would be more inclined to make a deal with a team that would also be willing to take Skinner as well. That's a lot of cap of course, 10 for Eichel and 9 for Skinner. Skinner's 28 and just two seasons removed from a 40 goal season with the Sabres. I think both Eichel and Skinner are just in need of a change of scenery.

For the Caps to make somthing like this work, you'd have to look at moving Kuzy (7.8), Orlov (5.1), Vrana (currently 3.35, but will be a RFA), Samsonov and AA and maybe a first so that the Sabres eat some of Skinner's salary (2 or 3 mil). Eichel replaces Kuzy and Skinner would replace Vrana immediately.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The 32nd pick isn't worth that much.
Then give them a few 32nd overall picks.

I think the ask could be something like Kuznetsov + McMichael + Lapierre + Alexeyev + 2021 first. If I'm Buffalo and I'm trading away the hardest thing in hockey to find, which is a dominant, young 1C signed to a reasonable long-term deal, I'd want a top six center right now, two legit shots at top six forwards (preferably centers) in the future, a top young defensive prospect, and a draft pick.

Jun 15, 2007
Eichel is easily a top 10 forward in the league. Would have no hesitation giving up Kuzy + McMichael/Lapierre/AA/Feverbaby + 1st if he was available. Would give up more to be honest. Eichel and Backstrom would be a top 2-3 center combo in the league, maybe the best, and along with Lars and Dowd I think you have a convincing argument that Washington would have the best 1-2-3-4 center lineup in the league. And he’s only 24 so he can be “the guy” at 1C as Nicky ages. There may not even be a rebuild if you get Eichel, just a retool.

If you remember, you actually thought my trade proposal for Eichel was actually too much.

Speculation: - Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

I think the ask could be something like Kuznetsov + McMichael + Lapierre + Alexeyev + 2021 first. If I'm Buffalo and I'm trading away the hardest thing in hockey to find, which is a dominant, young 1C signed to a reasonable long-term deal, I'd want a top six center right now, two legit shots at top six forwards (preferably centers) in the future, a top young defensive prospect, and a draft pick.
Hutton, Ullmark and Tokarski will all be UFAs at the conclusion of this season. Hence why Samsonov or Vanecek would be attractive to the Sabres.

Speaking of Samsonov and Vanecek, not totally familiar with how the expansion draft will work for them as I know the Caps can protect only one goalie, does it mean one of these goalies will have to be made available for the expansion? If so then all the more reason to include one of them in a deal with the Sabres.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
One poster suggested that Sammy might not have to be protected if he plays less than a certain number of NHL games this year....

I have not seen that verified....

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

So Kuzy (former 1st who has played like it) and four other 1sts in various stages of development. Five firsts total. I just can't see BMac mortgaging the future for Eichel like that. All for what is an incremental upgrade to Kuzy. Its not we don't have a #2C or a #1C. We have a 1 and 2 C that is very competitive with the NHL landscape. Eichel would surely be an upgrade, no doubt, but how much of an upgrade over Kuzy (who is not old by any stretch), is the key issue.

Its intriguing for sure, but I think that +, for what is an incremental upgrade, is too steep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad