Confirmed with Link: NHL suspends Alex Edler 3 Games for Headshot on Hertl

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
edler travels across the ice and deals a violent blow to the head, so it should have been a charge under the 3rd criteria

It's clearly wide open to interpretation and the ref sitting five feet away didn't seem to think it was charging.

Furthermore Edler's review is for illegal contact to the head so your (or anyone else's) interpretation of the charging rule is completely irrelevant.

Edler moved across the ice then delivered a hit, which the league appears to think might have consituted illegal contact to the head. They are wrong, but that's another matter.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Can't believe he's getting a hearing. Will probably get 1-2 games for some BS, like Hansen.

arsmaster*

You want to talk about intentional, that's as intentional as they come. He meant to ram his head into the glass. Of course, given the precedent with Weber — I don't think the league cares if you ram somebody's head into the glass.

I'm not sure if it deserves a suspension but it deserves a call. Especially when Edler is getting one.

I watched that play happen in real time during the game, I don't think he meant to ram his head into the glass.

I don't even remember what they actually called.

Franson is so damn soft for a 6'5" 230lbs player. Why not just stand in their and take the hit instead of rolling off it.

Either way, I do agree, if Edler's getting a call this should have too, I was just trying to look at them separately.

linden79

May 13, 2011
That's a headshot, and Edler should be suspended.

We all complain about suspensions hinging on injury rather than the play, well...here's a play that could have easily resulted in a bad injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Jumped.

You're missing the key point of that rule. "as a result of distance traveled" implies that he's accelerating into the hit, that's why they also consider hits where you jump into it.

the distance traveled is just the player targeting the opposition from across the ice. a player accelerating into a hit is covered under the first criteria- skating into the opposition

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I watched that play happen in real time during the game, I don't think he meant to ram his head into the glass.

I don't even remember what they actually called.

Franson is so damn soft for a 6'5" 230lbs player. Why not just stand in their and take the hit instead of rolling off it.

Either way, I do agree, if Edler's getting a call this should have too, I was just trying to look at them separately.

Something that's becoming more and more common is injuries and/or suspensions coming from hits where the "victim" was trying desperately to avoid getting hit. Sack up and take the hit ffs. Lean into the boards and they'll bounce right off you.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Edler was just trying to win a race to the puck in the boards there. Hertl reached with his head down and ran into a brick wall. I think the point of contact is the collar bone and momentum carried his head that way. No injury on the play so no suspension.

This is exactly how I see it. Contact with Hertl's head could be classified as 'grazing' and it was completely incidental because Hertl tried to duck instead of taking the hit.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
The suspension is going to be bull ****. Just accept it. Everyone outside of Vancouver wants this team to fail. And die in a fire.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
the distance traveled is just the player targeting the opposition from across the ice. a player accelerating into a hit is covered under the first criteria- skating into the opposition

You're taking the phrase "distance traveled" in order to be able to interpret Edler's hit as a charge despite his gliding towards the collision.

Within proper context the rule is:

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner.

In other words if a player violently checks another player "as a result of distance traveled" it's charging. The distance traveled is a necessary but not sufficient condition for charging, the player has to accelerate over that distance and then deliver a violent check.

Edler by most accounts did neither.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

No. "as a result of distance travelled" is pretty clear in what it means. When you're gliding, the distance travelled has no impact on the end-result. When you're accelerating, it does. Thus the "as a result" part of that rule.

This is a dumb argument in the first place. They've been calling charging the same way for many years and it certainly has not been the way you're interpreting it. You can take it up with the league if you have an issue with it.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Hertl should have gotten a penalty for head butting. :sarcasm:

hqdefault.jpg

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Mute the announcers and just watch. 28 to 31s.

I seriously don't know how much more stupid Shanahan can be I have been seeing a lot of clean hit and he is calling a hearing.

It is Hertl's fault, he raced in fast and low and Edler goes for the puck and is gonna turn I would imagine to go in the Sharks zone. Then Hertl collides with him its simple as that.

And yeah 28-31s is clearly embellishment.

arsmaster*

Something that's becoming more and more common is injuries and/or suspensions coming from hits where the "victim" was trying desperately to avoid getting hit. Sack up and take the hit ffs. Lean into the boards and they'll bounce right off you.

Well they teach you to turn your backs to checkers in minor hockey now, and with all the head contact stuff, I don't know why they teach kids to stickhandle with their heads up. You can do whatever you want out there if your heads down.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
I seriously don't know how much more stupid Shanahan can be I have been seeing a lot of clean hit and he is calling a hearing.

It is Hertl's fault, he raced in fast and low and Edler goes for the puck and is gonna turn I would imagine to go in the Sharks zone. Then Hertl collides with him its simple as that.

he wasn't even reaching that low tbh...

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Edler was skating to the puck and collided (on purpose) with Hertl. Edler didn't aim at his head, Hertl's head dropped and collided with Edler's shoulder. If he gets suspended it just further reinforces my belief that this league is a ****ing joke.

StringerBell

1) Edler skates towards puck
2) Edler braces for contact
3) Edler gets run into by a player with his head down reaching out to chip a puck
4) ???
5) Suspension

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad