Confirmed with Link: NHL suspends Alex Edler 3 Games for Headshot on Hertl

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
If Edler gets within even spitting distance of Cindy, I'm pretty sure he'll get suspended for the rest of the season. :laugh:

An early game vs the Penguins. We've all seen this before. #luongosnightmare

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Umm hello, Behe(a)d-ler?

Edler the Beheadler... me likes.

Kinda spoofs the whole "omg it's the most vicious hit in the history of hockey" vibe coming out of the SJ forums.

On another note, I don't think the NHL is suspending Canucks just because they're Canucks (i.e. they'd still get suspended despite the crest on the jersey). It's just that they always see fit to give a Canucks player the maximum penalty they can possibly justify under the circumstances.

It's as if Shanny is perpetually setting a precedent when it comes to Canucks players, but never adhering to that standard for similar incidents.

Whatever... the Canucks went 3-2 without Kassian, and then 2-1 without Edler. Can't complain about that.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
“I’m not going to change the way I play,” Edler said Friday following practice. “I look at myself as a clean player and I try to play aggressive and that’s when I’m at my best.”

“I would teach that play to all our defencemen,” said Tortorella. “The one he was suspended on we’re teaching that. The league just happens to believe it’s suspendable.”

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/1...him-to/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Pretty much what was said around here - Edler made the right play, and the coaching staff should tell him to keep doing so. Meanwhile, Hertl got demolished the very next game with his head down again.

NHLNucksFan

Mar 6, 2011
Vancouver

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
that hertl kid is gonna have a short career if he keeps putitg his head down. and getting rocked by bigger guys. it'll be sad if it came that way kid is only 19

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/1...him-to/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Pretty much what was said around here - Edler made the right play, and the coaching staff should tell him to keep doing so. Meanwhile, Hertl got demolished the very next game with his head down again.

Some SJ fans on the NHL site were trying to defend him by saying that he was simply off-balance and was trying to dive for the puck or get his balance back. That doesn't explain why he went 3 full strides with his head down though. If he was off-balance, I don't think he tries to get it back by moving forward. I just think this guy is just tunnel-visioning the puck, and I expect him to cool off pretty soon.

Shanny must have seen that head-down play, he can't be that stupid to not see what's going on. I think he gave him the benefit of the doubt last time. It's hard to tell from that angle where the point of contact was and his head-down play might have just been a mistake that put him in a vulnerable position. Now he has to see that it's a bad habit for this player. I don't think he gets the benefit of the doubt next time he uses his head like a missile and rams a defender.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Next headline: Tortz teaching suspendable hits. :laugh:

If Edler gets suspended again, they will use Edler's quote as evidence that he hasn't adjusted his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad