Point of contact - Grazed the head
Puck location - Near the play
Elbow tucked? - Yes
Offensive players head high or low? - Hertl's head was low
Edler suspension past? - Repeat offender
Injury on the play? - No

Will there be a suspension: Yes

Should there be a suspension: No

Shanahan is awful, and you know he will give edler at least 3 games.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Why is Edler a repeat offender? The only suspension I know of was under IIHF rules.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
You have to wonder how much of the reaction to this will be based on that helmet flying off. I mean, if it stayed on his head, it wouldn't be anywhere near as dramatic.

Kierkan

Something Witty
Jan 21, 2010
Kamloops
I like how the title is 'hit' not 'headshot'.

No suspension.

EDIT: And yeah the shark announcers even had me worried that Edler was running rampant in Sleepy Hollow.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Clean as the freshly driven snow.

The fact that there will probably be a suspension for this makes me want to puke.

arsmaster*

That's called hockey.

I hate the suspension culture. What's he supposed to do ole him like a matador?

arsmaster*

So I was wrong on Weise and kassian.

I'm guessing this gets 10 games since he's a repeat offender.

Boggles my mind Kronwall isn't.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
There have been some marginal suspensions, but this would be a whole new kind of crazy. Edler didn't even lead the hit with his shoulder - he was going for a hip check. If there's any recklessness on this play, it's Hertl not keeping his head up.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The fact that this is even being discussed/in question saddens me as a hockey fan.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Edler was just trying to win a race to the puck in the boards there. Hertl reached with his head down and ran into a brick wall. I think the point of contact is the collar bone and momentum carried his head that way. No injury on the play so no suspension.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a suspension, which is absurd since this wasn't even a body check.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Edler for 700 games. He super punched him in the facehole and Shanny found the written plans that Edler drew up last night to get Hertle!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Clean as the freshly driven snow.

The fact that there will probably be a suspension for this makes me want to puke.

You and I disagree on headshots a lot but on this we agree. Keep your head up, don't dive for pucks when another players is going for it too. I had no sympathy for Eberle when Torres clobbered him for that same reason.

The Stuart suspension I think was plain as day, jumped to hit a taller upright stationary guy in the head. No excuses for Stuart to miss the body.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad