Confirmed with Link: NHL suspends Alex Edler 3 Games for Headshot on Hertl

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
inb4 all this joking turns to indignation when edler inexplicably gets suspended

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Edler for 700 games. He super punched him in the facehole and Shanny found the written plans that Edler drew up last night to get Hertle!

I can see it now, in Shanahan speak it will go something like this

Both players were competing to the puck

The hittee knew the hitter was there

The hittee must be responsible for keeping his head up and protecting himself

Elder is a repeat offender

I therefore find Elder not guilty of anything and suspend him 5 games.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012

thank you based shanaban

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan

This is literally what is going to happen. Hurray for the fabled Alberts-Bieksa pairing

baxtefer

Aug 8, 2012
That's not even a hit!
Edler and Hertl are skating at right angles to each other for a loose puck.
Hertl leans to poke at the puck and runs right into Edler's shoulder.
At no point does Edler move towards Hertl to make the hit. He doesn't raise his elbow, drop his shoulder into him, or explode into the 'hit'.

It'll be a joke if this results in a suspension. But we all know that it will.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
No suspension. The injury seems to be the main consideration for Shanny and there was no penalty on the play anyways. Nash is out two weeks with a concussion. I don't think Hertl missed a shift.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm always willing to admit when a Canucks player has done something egregious and deserving of a suspension. I've called for unpopular suspensions of our players before when they've run around like reckless jerks.

This is not one of those cases. I'll be absolutely disgusted if/when this results in a suspension. It's a freaking hockey play. Come on. Hertl has to learn that he can't go gallavanting around the ice head first staying at the ground. This is the NHL, not some Czech league...guys are going to finish their checks if you're about to run into them.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Can we stop calling this a hit? It wasn't a bodycheck. It was a guy bracing for impact on a puck race, and the other guy decided to try to lunge in and ran into a wall.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
A collision, it would get low scores in figure skating. Shark fans seem to have switched sport recently.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Edler has to brace himself in case of contact, if he doesn't lean in and Hertl does play the body, he knocks Edler over and -->breakaway.

Hertl played that like he didn't even see Edler was there.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Reminds me of that time when Hall ran into Edler's ass and we had to hear from the media about a suspension. Didn't even get a call. Sure hope it's the same here, and that Shanny won't give Edler a few games off because Hertl scored 4 goals in a game.

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
Should Edler be suspended?
No. Last I checked this is hockey, and unless the rules have changed, I'm fairly certain hitting is still allowed. The kid needs to keep his head up especially when he's around the boards (meh, I guess he needs to keep his head up wherever he is on the ice...but I digress).

Suspendable hit? No

But he is a Canuck...and he is on The List... Plus Kassian should be back next game... Soooo yeah, I wouldn't be shocked at a suspension. In fact, I'll bet a Snickers Bar and a bag of CornNuts Edler gets some time.

;)

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Shoulder to chest. Elbow tucked in. Feet never leave the ground.

This is as clean a hit as you get in the NHL.

With Kronwall flying 4 feet off the air with his back into someone's head and getting no suspension (or penalty)...

With guys leading with the elbow, smashing the elbow into someone's head and getting no suspension...

A clean hit like this... it would be a travesty to suspend it.

Shall we just take out all hitting from the game? Play flag hockey from now on? There will be NO CONTACT from now on!!!

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Shouldnt be an issue but Shanahan will find something as usual.

I'm guessing hertl posts a photo of his face tomorrow to try and get a suspension.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
No suspension. The injury seems to be the main consideration for Shanny and there was no penalty on the play anyways. Nash is out two weeks with a concussion. I don't think Hertl missed a shift.

Interesting Stuart gets 3 games for deliberate (in control of his body) headshot that concusses Nash, Kassian gets 8 for careless.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
in all honesty, edler was frustrated and was tryin to turn the momentum into our favour...

unfortunately he was a bit early on the hit and was head hunting, will get a suspension and he deserves to get one, these plays need to be eradicated..

if he stopped up a second earlier and leaned into his chest, this wouldve been a beauty hit, but he was anxious and got there too early

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
in all honesty, edler was frustrated and was tryin to turn the momentum into our favour...

unfortunately he was a bit early on the hit and was head hunting, will get a suspension and he deserves to get one, these plays need to be eradicated..

if he stopped up a second earlier and leaned into his chest, this wouldve been a beauty hit, but he was anxious and got there too early

I can't believe any Canucks fan could really believe this.

Are you really a Nucks fan or is this a troll account?

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
I mean, the guy is hunched so low and leading with his head. This would be like you holding a knife in the kitchen cutting a tomato and me coming running at you and diving onto the counter resulting in stab wounds. Then of course the police show up and throw you in jail for involuntary manslaughter... or something

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
Hertyl should get a penalty for having his chin strap so loose. Helmets don't help if they don't stay on your head!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad