Confirmed with Link: NHL suspends Alex Edler 3 Games for Headshot on Hertl

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Kassian didn't step up physically. In fact, I thought he was pretty invisible the entire preseason when it comes to physicality. He got a suspension for wildly swinging his stick around. Anyone can do that.

Honey Badger got suspended for tapping Hossa while he was going for the puck and there was no penalty. In that case, Hossa did fall to the ice and missed some time though.

hossa didn't miss any subsequent games

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
Kassian didn't step up physically. In fact, I thought he was pretty invisible the entire preseason when it comes to physicality. He got a suspension for wildly swinging his stick around. Anyone can do that.

Not referring to the specific incident, but Kassian's early play in the preseason was more physical than his play last year. I think it's a result of his added speed allowing him to land more checks, plus Torts' influence. Should hopefully be more noticeable after his conditioning stint.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
You aren't allowed to hit people in the head, so why are you surprised?

You are if head contact is "unavoidable."

How is Edler supposed to avoid this?

WeaPpiV.jpg

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
yeah but why does he have to avoid going for the hit/changing his angle, this is a contact sport no?

look at where the puck is when contact is made, this is the most telling part. it is made clear by edler what his intentions were since he doesn't even pay attention to the puck. you can make contact all you want and i love seeing the big hits- just as long as they are within the rules.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I just can't deal with this **** any more. I wish I lived in the US so I never had to hear about the NHL.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
of course it was avoidable, edler had no intention of playing the puck had him lined up so all he had to do was change his angle

Last time I checked hockey is a physical sport that allows players to hit other players.

At most it's 1 game, probably just a fine though. But... I'm rarely right with these things so...

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Last time I checked hockey is a physical sport that allows players to hit other players.

At most it's 1 game, probably just a fine though. But... I'm rarely right with these things so...

"Repeat offender", hit was on an NHL golden boy, offender was a Canuck...Edler might be looking at jail time with the way things are going ffs.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
look at where the puck is when contact is made, this is the most telling part. it is made clear by edler what his intentions were since he doesn't even pay attention to the puck. you can make contact all you want and i love seeing the big hits- just as long as they are within the rules.

his intentions were what? go for a hit? so that's illegal now. Because he sure as hell wasn't clear cut targeting his head. The kid reached out and got popped end of story.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Still he ended up with the puck along the boards. :help:
No he didn't, it resulted in a shot against.

yeah, you're allowed to hit as long as it is within the rules. hitting the head where it is the principle point of contact is against the rules.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No he didn't, it resulted in a shot against.

yeah, you're allowed to hit as long as it is within the rules. hitting the head where it is the principle point of contact is against the rules.

So the new strategy should be to have all players skate low so that they get hit in the head and take out the opposing teams players due to all the penalties/suspensions they'll receive. Do it in game 1 of the playoffs and the other team will be so suspended that the rest of the series will be a forfeit.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
So the new strategy should be to have all players skate low so that they get hit in the head and take out the opposing teams players due to all the penalties/suspensions they'll receive. Do it in game 1 of the playoffs and the other team will be so suspended that the rest of the series will be a forfeit.

48.1 .. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact

Hertl had reasonable expectation that edler would be playing the puck so he reached in.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hertl had reasonable expectation that edler would be playing the puck so he reached in.

Based on what? Hockey is a contact sport....

What was Edler supposed to do? See that Hertl is stretching himself out so just let him skate forward and go? No player can be hit when he's stretched out.

In fact, the rule you posted proves my point and supports no suspension.

arsmaster*

You are if head contact is "unavoidable."

How is Edler supposed to avoid this?

WeaPpiV.jpg

He's low enough to do a muff diver off the linesman.

With regards to hockey being a physical sport....give it 10 years and it won't be. Sad state of affairs.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
of course it was avoidable, edler had no intention of playing the puck had him lined up so all he had to do was change his angle

Edler didn't need to intend to play the puck though. Take the body, it's defense 101.

And again with Hertl leaning over in a few tenths of a second and the two players already on a collision course what is Edler supposed to do, bail on the play?

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
If player puts himself in a vulnerable spot it is up to the attacking player to let up. Split seconds decision FTW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad