Confirmed with Link: NHL suspends Alex Edler 3 Games for Headshot on Hertl

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Hertl should be suspended for trying such a bonehead play in the NHL, of course you're going to get hit... what a ****ing joke and whats worse is now Edler can't play hard because one minor error for Mr. Repeat dirty player and hes ****ed.

This league needs an enema.

This is what worries me. I can live with the suspension - whatever - but I just don't want Edler to change his game. Only players who are actually malicious should focus on changing their games. The last thing we need is Edler going back to the non-physical, non-confident Edler just when he was emerging from his shell.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Oh, man. Could this league get anymore ridiculous? :laugh: Slaphappy Shannahan FTW.

Shanahan essentially states in the video that Edler should have taken an interference penalty by targeting the body from a different angle, before Hertl even got to the puck, rather than going for the puck that he's entitled to do and making contact when Hertl skates into him with his head down. Unbelievable.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
It never helps anything when people are intentionally daft.

You know damn well that's not how people normally skate, especially those who should be bracing for contact.

actually if you watch the video, he skated that way all the way up until contact with edler. so ya, that's how he normally skates.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, I think I'm done with the NHL for awhile now. It's not that there's some grand conspiracy against the Canucks, it's just that they're utterly and completely incompetent in every way.

My only form of protest is to vote with my wallet and I just cancelled my center ice subscription while I still could. Going to skip bothering to get tickets for any games this year or buy a jersey - I'm not giving them a cent this year. Will they notice a loss of a couple hundred dollars in revenue this year? Almost certainly not, but at least I'll try.

arsmaster*

you will be back for next game, this league is becoming harder too watch tho, no doubt.

No I won't. What's the name of that streaming site for all CHL and AHL games?

I like watching hockey, doesn't matter what level if it's good and WHL/OHL is good hockey without the puppets. When there aren't millions on the line, the kids are playing for pride and love of the game.....we're basically just watching business meetings on TV when we subscribe to the NHL.

PS. I'm serious about that stream site. Please hook a brotha up.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Shanahan essentially states in the video that Edler should have taken an interference penalty by targeting the body from a different angle, before Hertl even got to the puck, rather than going for the puck that he's entitled to do and making contact when Hertl skates into him with his head down. Unbelievable.

That's the ridiculous part of this for me. Edler clearly was closer to the puck and Hertl skates into him while trying to poke it past him. There's not even shred of what looks like a hit other than Edler bracing a bit for contact.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

I was thinking the exact same thing after he said that. :laugh:
This is pathetic, the NHL should hold players responsible for having their heads down like that.

I guess we should use a strategy of having all our skaters lean forward 24/7. Suspend our opponents to victory!

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
I said yesterday when the hit happened that despite the non call on the play, he'd get a game. Didn't try enough to avoid the head as the first point of contact.

Plays like this just make me shake my head at Alex Edler sometimes, he seems just so dumb out there for stretches. Bad turnovers, bonehead plays and just things like this. He needs to be smarter than this.

3 games is a bit much, should have been 1 as it wasn't malicious enough for 3 games, but he shouldn't even put himself in this position.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
No I won't. What's the name of that streaming site for all CHL and AHL games?

I like watching hockey, doesn't matter what level if it's good and WHL/OHL is good hockey without the puppets. When there aren't millions on the line, the kids are playing for pride and love of the game.....we're basically just watching business meetings on TV when we subscribe to the NHL.

PS. I'm serious about that stream site. Please hook a brotha up.

Hope to still see you in the junior and draft forums!

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Yeah, I think I'm done with the NHL for awhile now. It's not that there's some grand conspiracy against the Canucks, it's just that they're utterly and completely incompetent in every way.

you will be back for the next game. people said the same stuff during the lockout. there is no conspiracy against the canucks, the NHL doesn't hate the team, and tinfoil hats do not protect the brain from electric fields. enough with the victim complex!

Type Not Specified

Part of the process
Oct 1, 2010
Vancouver
"If Edler wants to make this check, he must take a better angle and route toward Hertl."

LOL. If he hits him at that angle he gets a boarding penalty and possibly a suspension for a dangerous check into the boards on a player who is not in possession of the puck.

I don't think Edler is completely innocent on this play but he shouldn't be suspended. A fine would have been appropriate. He wasn't going for the puck - he saw Hertl going for the puck and knew exactly what he was doing, but if Hertl doesn't bend down and run into him head first, there's no problem.

Hertl was in that position well before the collision, so Edler had all kinds of time to avoid it, but should he have to? If you see a guy skating towards the puck while reaching like that with his head down, does that mean you have to get out of his way and let him go by? Is this what we want?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad