Confirmed with Link: NHL signs 12-year TV, Internet deal with Rogers | 22 Habs Games on TVA/TVA Sport

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
It's baffling how a private company will decide what is shown on a network that exist cause of Canadian taxpayers. Canada is a Social Democracy and this is the complete reverse, it's a corporation having a say on a goverment entity.

I doubt Rogers dictated this, but rather the NHL and CBC wanted a transition out of CBC HNIC that wasn't disruptive to viewers. This is about 4 years of preparing fans for Rogers Hockey Night in Canada.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
All I care about is watching all 82 Habs games plus playoffs. Is there any straight answer how this will happen? There seems to be some uncertainty. From what I've read so far, this deal really sucks for Habs fans because RDS showed every game!

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
All I care about is watching all 82 Habs games plus playoffs. Is there any straight answer how this will happen? There seems to be some uncertainty. From what I've read so far, this deal really sucks for Habs fans because RDS showed every game!

You will still get to watch every habs games but they will be spread out over different channels, in what proportion? we still don't know the answer.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

I don't think the Habs will stand for 60 untelevised games so hold onto your disappointment.

Raider917

Feb 4, 2004
Nova Scotia

even if they do show all 82 games on a regional channel. will they still be able to black it out for the rest of the country?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This game scares me...it's sooo easy to take this team lightly and they have a new coach so their players will have something to prove.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks. I get the feeling this is gonna cost me more. Plus! I don't even know if Cogeco even carries all the channels?!

Rogers spent a ton of money on this, you will probably be able to get the games but you may have to switch providers and yes it probably will cost you (or Cogeco) more.

Last edited:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

RDS and TVA are now in a bidding war with the Habs for the remaining 60 games.

Those games will definitely be televised, it's just a matter of on which regional carrier and the Canadiens organization are playing their cards close .

If I was a betting man I suspect I will be subscribing to RDS next year .

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
RDS and TVA are now in a bidding war with the Habs for the remaining 60 games.

Those games will definitely be televised, it's just a matter of on which regional carrier and the Canadiens organization are playing their cards close .

If I was a betting man I suspect I will be subscribing to RDS next year .

Either RDS do not let TVA get this and overpay big time either they realize that it will cost them more money to keep broadcasting teams around for "just" 60 games and not even the playoffs and that it's not worth it....I would think they'll fight to the end but we never know. I personnally hope they don't. I'm ready to embark in a new journey and see how TVA treats the Habs fans and viewers. I'm done with RDS taking us for granted.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
David Shoalts wrote today that Bell might have been complacent in negotiations. NHL feels Bell would have matched Rogers on money part of deal but Rogers had a better vision of selling the game on new platforms.

Also Rogers CEO was directly involved in the negotiations something Bell didn't do.

In any case there had to be a loser in this and Bell will learn from its mistakes.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
David Shoalts wrote today that Bell might have been complacent in negotiations. NHL feels Bell would have matched Rogers on money part of deal but Rogers had a better vision of selling the game on new platforms.

Also Rogers CEO was directly involved in the negotiations something Bell didn't do.

In any case there had to be a loser in this and Bell will learn from its mistakes.

Have you ever had a bell service in your home? :laugh:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
That's strange. They paid 120 for 20 games? Yet RDS paid far less for the regional games. I wonder how will the 60 games go for?

RDS paid around 30 millions per season for Habs alone. 30 * 12 years = 360 millions (disregarding inflation) for all games. I think 120m for 22 games + playoffs over 12 years is reasonable when you take into account inflation.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
RDS paid around 30 millions per season for Habs alone. 30 * 12 years = 360 millions (disregarding inflation) for all games. I think 120m for 22 games + playoffs over 12 years is reasonable when you take into account inflation.

Yea but imagine if Quebecor get the other 60 games, they won't have enough money for the Nords.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Should the Habs sell its regional broadcasting rights on its own, it would open a new bidding war between Quebecor and Bell, Quebec’s two dominant media and telecom empires. But that would reduce the price paid by Quebecor, by an amount that has already been agreed upon, according to Mr. Dion.

The Canadiens haven’t decided yet how they intend to play their game. The call will be made at the operations level, by Habs executives, and not by the board of directors, where Bell is present as a minority shareholder of the Montreal hockey team, The Globe was told.

Kinda assumed so since it would be a conflict of interest but damn...

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
That's strange. They paid 120 for 20 games? Yet RDS paid far less for the regional games. I wonder how will the 60 games go for?

From what i've heard, TVA paid for all games of the habs. TVA is guaranteed 22 games + playoffs. But the habs have the choice to give back the money for the rest of the season and make a bidding war, or have TVA do all 82 games.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
From what i've heard, TVA paid for all games of the habs. TVA is guaranteed 22 games + playoffs. But the habs have the choice to give back the money for the rest of the season and make a bidding war, or have TVA do all 82 games.

That's what I heard too. 120m will be if they get all games.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00