Confirmed with Link: NHL signs 12-year TV, Internet deal with Rogers | 22 Habs Games on TVA/TVA Sport

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
So I have bell fibre op internet/tv/phone bundle, i'm assuming rodgers is going to be *******s about this and make me switch to rogers cable?

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
So I have bell fibre op internet/tv/phone bundle, i'm assuming rodgers is going to be *******s about this and make me switch to rogers cable?

Not so sure about that. Ultimately Rogers will make money off of advertising. The ratings will drive the price they can set. It doesn't matter whether it's Bell, Rogers, Shaw etc. carrying the game.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009

Its just owned by Rogers. I am in the same boat.

You will still have access to your sportsnets, CBC, TVA, and CityTV where the games will be played. They stated you might have to pay a fee of like $5-6 a month to have all Canadian access with no blackouts for like Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and such. Or a bit more to get full access.

But you'll have access from whatever provider your with as long as you have access to those channels which are in the basic package.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
TSN = 76-77 Montreal Canadiens (Best talent, best analysis, most knowledge)
Sportsnet = 76-77 Caliifornia Golden Seals (worse in every way and games Ive seen are not even in HD)

A real Travisty!!!!

Betteman chases the all mighty dollar and pays lip service to the true knowledgable hockey fan!

PATHETIC!

TSN ... You will be missed!!:help:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Yea but imagine if Quebecor get the other 60 games, they won't have enough money for the Nords.

Interesting thing how it's revealed that Quebecor has paid 120 million but per year. Total amount for 12 years, 1.5 Billion. :amazed:

I wonder what they'll do with the Nords.

Don't know why you keep saying this, do you not think they are in this to make a profit? Do you think this is just a large expense with no return?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
TSN = 76-77 Montreal Canadiens (Best talent, best analysis, most knowledge)
Sportsnet = 76-77 Caliifornia Golden Seals (worse in every way and games Ive seen are not even in HD)

A real Travisty!!!!

Betteman chases the all mighty dollar and pays lip service to the true knowledgable hockey fan!

PATHETIC!

TSN ... You will be missed!!:help:

Of course Bettman will chase the dollars. That's part of his job. More money out of TV deals means more Hockey Related Revenues, which basically means more money for everyone in the NHL..

What Bettman did is good for the NHL.

It's bad for TSN, which means it's bad for Bell, but most of the guys you see on TSN will get jobs for rogers/ctv and you'll see them there. The good thing for them is that they have 12 years guaranteed to make their product better.
I might be in the minority, but I'm glad this was done. Not for TSN, they had a solid programming, and they will keep having one as long as they keep their personnel.
But for RDS, I always felt they put forth a very mediocre product because they had no competition. I mean, morons like freaking Michel Bergeron being used on a daily basis to analyze games??...I can name 10 posters from here without blinking for a second that would do a better job.
Nothing wrong with competition. It only increases the quality of the product.

On a side note, I know someone that worked for RDS, and he had a falling out with them for some seriously stupid reasons, and they tried pinning it on him. I don't want to venture into it but it's some seriously high school drama Bull to da freaking shat. So I'm glad they lost their exclusivity rights. Screw them. I hope TVA will get Claude Quenneville back, he was good. Much better than Houde.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Don't know why you keep saying this, do you not think they are in this to make a profit? Do you think this is just a large expense with no return?

Exactly...
I find it's similar to people I talked to when Molson bought the Habs and they said he paid too much, as if he didn't go over the financial quarterly reports of the team..
As if Molson would pay half a billion if he was going to lose money, or just break even..

These guys have multi-multi-multi millions for reasons, bad business decision isn't one of them.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
I'm saying if they spend 1.5 billion for Habs games, are they going to want to invest as much in the Nords?

There are no Nordiques. Quebecor is not going to base its business decisions on the hope that the NHL may someday be remotely interested in bringing a team to Quebec.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
You could be right but a city the size of Quebec City is not going to spend 420 million dollar arena without knowledge of nhl club

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
1) Canada isn't a democracy it's a Republic (a democracy is people governing, think Switzerland; a Republic is when people elect others to represent them in government which those elected do whatever they want).
2)Rogers has a monopoly.
3)Rogers now has no right to complain if another telcom company enters the foray as this proves they make an abundant amount of money that they could spend $6 billion in less then 2 years (1 year 3 months).
4)The cost of watching tv will go up as Rogers will pass on the saving to all their customers (and don't think otherwise).
5)Rogers stated that they needed a year to make changes regarding new mobile regulations after all providers were given 6 months (no fine has been imposed as of yet).
6)Rogers still claims that SAF fees are government issued even though the CRTC has stated countless times that it isn't.

Honestly it's time, we as Canadians push for reform of our government/policies/government entities as this is going to be the start of things worse for our country.

For starters: Bell, Rogers shouldn't be allowed to bid on any spectrum for a while (seeing how they were given spectrum FOR FREE prior to Telus, and Fido entering the market.
Telecom shouldn't be allowed to monopolize media at all (they shouldn't be allowed to own pretty much every magazine/newspaper/tv station in the country). Bell and Rogers control pretty much anything that has to do with media.

I don't care who won the NHL rights this is a matter of fair and competent competition. This has nothing to do with the Conservatives as they wanted to strip the CRTC of all their powers back in 2008 and hand them over to the Competition Bureau. This has to do with the corruption of a government entity that is supposed to protect the interest of Canadians when it comes to media.

If I were a client of anything Rogers I'd be on the phone demanding lower prices as Rogers surely has enough money to reduce MY costs if they have the money to spend $6 billion less then 2 years AND pay the entry fee to bid on what could be the most expensive spectrum auction in Canadian history (700mhz offers deeper penetration into builds and requires less equipment to cover the same area).

Thank you CRTC for allowing a monopoly into our society.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Its just owned by Rogers. I am in the same boat.

You will still have access to your sportsnets, CBC, TVA, and CityTV where the games will be played. They stated you might have to pay a fee of like $5-6 a month to have all Canadian access with no blackouts for like Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and such. Or a bit more to get full access.

But you'll have access from whatever provider your with as long as you have access to those channels which are in the basic package.
No there is still blackouts, just not wednesday saturday and sunday.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
1) Canada isn't a democracy it's a Republic (a democracy is people governing, think Switzerland; a Republic is when people elect others to represent them in government which those elected do whatever they want).
2)Rogers has a monopoly.
3)Rogers now has no right to complain if another telcom company enters the foray as this proves they make an abundant amount of money that they could spend $6 billion in less then 2 years (1 year 3 months).
4)The cost of watching tv will go up as Rogers will pass on the saving to all their customers (and don't think otherwise).
5)Rogers stated that they needed a year to make changes regarding new mobile regulations after all providers were given 6 months (no fine has been imposed as of yet).
6)Rogers still claims that SAF fees are government issued even though the CRTC has stated countless times that it isn't.

Honestly it's time, we as Canadians push for reform of our government/policies/government entities as this is going to be the start of things worse for our country.

For starters: Bell, Rogers shouldn't be allowed to bid on any spectrum for a while (seeing how they were given spectrum FOR FREE prior to Telus, and Fido entering the market.
Telecom shouldn't be allowed to monopolize media at all (they shouldn't be allowed to own pretty much every magazine/newspaper/tv station in the country). Bell and Rogers control pretty much anything that has to do with media.

I don't care who won the NHL rights this is a matter of fair and competent competition. This has nothing to do with the Conservatives as they wanted to strip the CRTC of all their powers back in 2008 and hand them over to the Competition Bureau. This has to do with the corruption of a government entity that is supposed to protect the interest of Canadians when it comes to media.

If I were a client of anything Rogers I'd be on the phone demanding lower prices as Rogers surely has enough money to reduce MY costs if they have the money to spend $6 billion less then 2 years AND pay the entry fee to bid on what could be the most expensive spectrum auction in Canadian history (700mhz offers deeper penetration into builds and requires less equipment to cover the same area).

Thank you CRTC for allowing a monopoly into our society.

I don't see the case for more government regulation anywhere here.

At one time there was no Rogers, no Telus, no Fido, no Wind. Only Bell. That was a monopoly. What you are describing can best be described as an oligopoly.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
All the CRTC does it ensure that sublicensing fees are equal to all clients purchasing. Rogers can essentially jack up the price as much as they like as long as they bleed everyone equally.

Essentially we have a spineless regulatory agency with no power run by employees put in place by Rogers/Bell. What's even the point of having a conflict of interest act or competition act?

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
I don't see the case for more government regulation anywhere here.

At one time there was no Rogers, no Telus, no Fido, no Wind. Only Bell. That was a monopoly. What you are describing can best be described as an oligopoly.
When one company controls where people consume a type of entertainment it's a monopoly. When one company owns the biggest media outlets it's a monopoly. The oligopoly only exists with wireless and somewhat Internet/tv services.

RushDP

Nov 9, 2006
Of course Bettman will chase the dollars. That's part of his job. More money out of TV deals means more Hockey Related Revenues, which basically means more money for everyone in the NHL..

What Bettman did is good for the NHL.

It's bad for TSN, which means it's bad for Bell, but most of the guys you see on TSN will get jobs for rogers/ctv and you'll see them there. The good thing for them is that they have 12 years guaranteed to make their product better.
I might be in the minority, but I'm glad this was done. Not for TSN, they had a solid programming, and they will keep having one as long as they keep their personnel.
But for RDS, I always felt they put forth a very mediocre product because they had no competition. I mean, morons like freaking Michel Bergeron being used on a daily basis to analyze games??...I can name 10 posters from here without blinking for a second that would do a better job.
Nothing wrong with competition. It only increases the quality of the product.

On a side note, I know someone that worked for RDS, and he had a falling out with them for some seriously stupid reasons, and they tried pinning it on him. I don't want to venture into it but it's some seriously high school drama Bull to da freaking shat. So I'm glad they lost their exclusivity rights. Screw them. I hope TVA will get Claude Quenneville back, he was good. Much better than Houde.

Sorry Kriss E, I have to disagree.
This is not good for the NHL because Canada is the NHL. Without our teams helping out the teams that should be moved up to Canada from cities where there is zero interest, there is no NHL.
Bottom line, TSN raised the bar in broadcasting and have done a great job. Going to Sportsnet, which I have on my package and is useless and inferior, is like the NHL going from ESPN to OLN. Oh yeah, the NHL did that too.
It will take years before we see a quality product like TSN delivered and meanwhile we'll be forced to experience a substandard product.
While I agree that competition is a great thing and ultimately delivers a better product, it doesn't apply here.
There is no competition because for the next 12 years we will only have one option. The only competition was in the bidding not the product delivery. Even if they lure away half the personnel from TSN, they don't have the talent to produce what TSN has in the past.
This was a stupid move because had Bettman tried, he could have had the same amount of money over the same term while carving up the pie to accommodate all players. This would have been the status quo in terms of quality and content and the NHL would have gotten what they wanted, which is more money and long term commitment.
Instead he went with American tactics of exclusivity for a product that is a hard sell in the US but an easy sell in Canada.
This could have been handled better and that would have been in the fans best interest. That translates to the NHL's best interest.
It's done now so it's a moot point but I don't have a good feeling about it. I never like a monopoly, it allows for an attitude that one doesn't have to improve. Sort of like the exclusivity RDS has that you lament so much. They didn't need to improve and now neither does Rogers.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Interesting thing how it's revealed that Quebecor has paid 120 million but per year. Total amount for 12 years, 1.5 Billion. :amazed:

I wonder what they'll do with the Nords.

Source? I find this hard to believe since for this amount they could have purchased the Habs + setup a new franchise in Quebec.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
This is not good for the NHL because Canada is the NHL. Without our teams helping out the teams that should be moved up to Canada from cities where there is zero interest, there is no NHL.
Bottom line, TSN raised the bar in broadcasting and have done a great job. Going to Sportsnet, which I have on my package and is useless and inferior, is like the NHL going from ESPN to OLN. Oh yeah, the NHL did that too.
It will take years before we see a quality product like TSN delivered and meanwhile we'll be forced to experience a substandard product.
While I agree that competition is a great thing and ultimately delivers a better product, it doesn't apply here.
There is no competition because for the next 12 years we will only have one option. The only competition was in the bidding not the product delivery. Even if they lure away half the personnel from TSN, they don't have the talent to produce what TSN has in the past.
This was a stupid move because had Bettman tried, he could have had the same amount of money over the same term while carving up the pie to accommodate all players. This would have been the status quo in terms of quality and content and the NHL would have gotten what they wanted, which is more money and long term commitment.
Instead he went with American tactics of exclusivity for a product that is a hard sell in the US but an easy sell in Canada.
This could have been handled better and that would have been in the fans best interest. That translates to the NHL's best interest.
It's done now so it's a moot point but I don't have a good feeling about it. I never like a monopoly, it allows for an attitude that one doesn't have to improve. Sort of like the exclusivity RDS has that you lament so much. They didn't need to improve and now neither does Rogers.

In 2 years we won't even know or care which corporate name is behind the telecasts. Rogers didn't invest in hockey in the past because they had a small piece of the pie, now they will be the name brand in Canada. A recruiting blitz will no doubt bring talent to the network and production values will rise. Rogers will relish the poaching of big names from rivals, they have a chance to re-cast the NHL hockey product in Canada and pick and choose their people.

I for one am optimistic that a new formula awaits. There's already been talks about more in-depth player interviews , and I am tired of the Hot Stove and Coaches Corner. People speak today with fear like there is no room to improve hockey broadcasting in this country. I think change was overdue and I welcome it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In 2 years we won't even know or care which corporate name is behind the telecasts. Rogers didn't invest in hockey in the past because they had a small piece of the pie, now they will be the name brand in Canada. A recruiting blitz will no doubt bring talent to the network and production values will rise. Rogers will relish the poaching of big names from rivals, they have a chance to re-cast the NHL hockey product in Canada and pick and choose their people.

I for one am optimistic that a new formula awaits. There's already been talks about more in-depth player interviews , and I am tired of the Hot Stove and Coaches Corner. People speak today with fear like there is no room to improve hockey broadcasting in this country. I think change was overdue and I welcome it.
There's nothing wrong with the format. Its the personnel that needs a refresh in some segments.

12 years is a long time. It will take a while but I'm sure that a lot of top talent will come over. Right now it's Mickey Mouse but it should get better.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo

Why do you think Rogers struck a deal with the CBC (NHL forced it my ass). In 4 years time HNIC will be on sportsnet as Rogers amalagamates into their network. The CBC President is sugar coating their deal. It's bad, really bad. For 60 years the CBC has generated revenue from hockey but now everything will go to Rogers, this cutting their revenue by 50%.

Rogers is now a political party. Get ready for 4 times the Rogers commericals on CBC.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00