Confirmed with Link: NHL signs 12-year TV, Internet deal with Rogers | 22 Habs Games on TVA/TVA Sport

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
The deal says the Stanley Cup final will be on CBC, anybody knows if it's just the final or all playoff rounds? I have to say I absolutly love CBC pre-game montage in playoff. It would be a big lost if they disapear :cry:

Last edited:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
The deal says the Stanley Cup final will be on CBC, anybody knows if it's just the final or all playoff rounds? I have to say I absolutly love CBC pre-game montage in playoff. It would be a big lost if they disapear :cry:

yeah their pre-game montages are the best TBH

Now are we gonna have more NBA and soccer on TSN and RDS ?

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009

I believe they said all of the Stanley Cup playoffs would be on CBC.

Agreed on the montages they do. It's probably the thing I'm most upset about losing

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He already has that, without investing half a billion.

Games of the league will never attract as many people as games with the Nordiques involve. He could show all the Florida vs Nashville games....it's not the same.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Bell cannot own the Nordiques as they already own 37.5% of the Maple Leafs and no one can own over 20% of two teams per NHL by-laws.

They could sell their Leafs share even though they are indeed making a whole lot of dough.....I mean, at one point, with that deal, you have to think that Bell will do something. Not that I care but just wondering...

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
So, I guess in a way it will cost us a bit more, as TSN will keep the CFL rights.... so if we wanna be able to see both, we'll need to keep TSN and add SN....

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
How about watching all the HNIC habs games on CBC, the rest on RDS? National games are just the ones on weekends and the playoffs, the rest of the rights are sold by the Montreal Canadiens not the NHL, which means that Bell who was a partner of the purchase of the team will get them.

The story is a little darker for TSN since Rogers own 37.5% of the Leafs (Teachers sold their shares to Bell & Rogers)

I wonder why peoples associate this deal with the end of PKP Nordiques ambition. Do you know what better than 20 nights of content for one sports channel? 82 nights of content for one sports channel and do you know what even better than 82 nights of content for one sports channel? 164 nights of content for two sports channel!

Yeah people are confused. ROGERS purchased the national hockey game broadcasting rights. Not TVA. TVA got the bid from Rogers to broadcast all national habs games in french in Canada. CBC got the english ones. That's it.

Last edited:

Laps40

Dec 16, 2006
Montreal
Per Pierre Dion, president of TVA, on 98.5 FM this morning : The 5.2 billions bid includes a the right to get all 82 Habs game (nationals and regionals) but it's the NHL and Montreal Canadiens that will decide to whom those games will be offered.

Another source (Michel Villeneuve) tells that RDS doenst have the money to get all the 60 games so they'll probably get about half of them. Dunno if there is any credibility to that source tough

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Per Pierre Dion, president of TVA, on 98.5 FM this morning : The 5.2 billions bid includes a the right to get all 82 Habs game (nationals and regionals) but it's the NHL and Montreal Canadiens that will decide to whom those games will be offered.

Another source (Michel Villeneuve) tells that RDS doenst have the money to get all the 60 games so they'll probably get about half of them. Dunno if there is any credibility to that source tough

I don't know if RDS would have the money, but what isn't stopping Bell from purchasing those games for RDS?

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
I am shocked that Bell is basically being shoved out. Shocked.
Reeks of anti-competition and there are laws against that.

What I'd be curious to find out is who were the other bidders who were allowed in? If we don't get a list of names, we can assume Rogers might have been the only ones and that's quite fishy.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Reeks of anti-competition and there are laws against that.

What I'd be curious to find out is who were the other bidders who were allowed in? If we don't get a list of names, we can assume Rogers might have been the only ones and that's quite fishy.

Uh, how many bidders could there possibly be for a national broadcasting rights contact in Canada? Rogers, CBC, TSN/CTV , who else?

This isn't rocket science , money talks . CBC, TSN, and Rogers were all interested, someone had to win.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Uh, how many bidders could there possibly be for a national broadcasting rights contact in Canada? Rogers, CBC, TSN/CTV , who else?

This isn't rocket science , money talks . CBC, TSN, and Rogers were all interested, someone had to win.

CBC is out of the question. They had zero chance at even matching or coming close to the Rogers offer.

The only two companeis that had a chance are Bell and Rogers because they own everyone.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
How about watching all the HNIC habs games on CBC, the rest on RDS? National games are just the ones on weekends and the playoffs, the rest of the rights are sold by the Montreal Canadiens not the NHL, which means that Bell who was a partner of the purchase of the team will get them.

The story is a little darker for TSN since Rogers own 37.5% of the Leafs (Teachers sold their shares to Bell & Rogers)

Yeah people are confused. ROGERS purchased the national hockey game broadcasting rights. Not TVA. TVA got the bid from Rogers to broadcast all national habs games in french in Canada. CBC got the english ones. That's it.

ROGERS purchased all the NHL national rights for Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday games in French and English for $5.2B. Rogers Media president said there was talk of creating a French channel but instead they decided to sell the French rights to Quebecor's Group TVA for an undisclosed amount. ROGERS effectively owns Hockey Night in Canada but will keep some games on CBC alive. CBC will not pay for those rights but all the revenues generated from the games will go to ROGERS. ROGERS will also control on-air talent for CBC during HNIC. (Similar to what RDS did with SRC in 2003 and 2004)

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I believe they said all of the Stanley Cup playoffs would be on CBC.

Agreed on the montages they do. It's probably the thing I'm most upset about losing

The Stanley Cup Playoffs will be split between all of Rogers channels and CBC. The Stanley Cup Final will probably be simulcast between CBC and Sportsnet.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
ROGERS purchased all the NHL national rights for Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday games in French and English for $5.2B. Rogers Media president said there was talk of creating a French channel but instead they decided to sell the French rights to Quebecor's Group TVA for an undisclosed amount. ROGERS effectively owns Hockey Night in Canada but will keep some games on CBC alive. CBC will not pay for those rights but all the revenues generated from the games will go to ROGERS. ROGERS will also control on-air talent for CBC during HNIC. (Similar to what RDS did with SRC in 2003 and 2004)

If this is correct. Why wouldn't TSN be able to show hockey games on Tuesday or Thursday or Friday?
Nevermind. I get it. Those games are regional games that are controlled by the respective teams and signed with other networks.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
If this is correct. Why wouldn't TSN be able to show hockey games on Tuesday or Thursday or Friday?

Because the rest of the week is only regional games. (In Canada)

TSN would only be able to broadcast them in their regional feeds like TSN-Jets or TSN-Leafs etc. National TSN feed will not show any NHL games for the next 12 years. (Unless they make a deal with Rogers later on)

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
They would have to purchase regional rights.

Yep, forgot about the rules to regional rights.
There must be atleast ONE team with no regional rights.

Anyone know if in Montreal, there is only ONE regional right or are there two for English and French?

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Yep, forgot about the rules to regional rights.
There must be atleast ONE team with no regional rights.

The Habs regional rights are up for grabs in English and French. Bell could buy those rights and put them on RDS and TSN-Habs. However RDS would not be able to broadcast the games across Canada anymore and would only be limited to broadcast them in the Habs region.

Heck even Rogers could buy the regional Habs rights and put some games on Sportsnet East or sell some games to TVA.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
CBC is out of the question. They had zero chance at even matching or coming close to the Rogers offer.

The only two companeis that had a chance are Bell and Rogers because they own everyone.

True. But yesterday as I received my news alert of the Rogers deal, I was literally reading a Globe story about how the CBC was zeroing in on a $200M/year deal for exclusive rights. Rogers must have dropped their bomb into those talks because the price doubled. Obviously the CBC story was nonsense as they would have at that time been in some sort of written agreement to their relationship with Sportsnet for HNIC.

The devil is in the details, but I like the deal in principle. Better access to hockey, stability for 12 years and now our public broadcaster can focus on a public broadcasting mandate. I don't get some of the conspiracy theories and worrying going on here about production quality or schedules. Rogers paid big bucks to get hockey games onto the airwaves I doubt they are going to subject themselves to criticism by the fans.

Pricef*

Question:

I have Sportsnet 360, TSN, RDS, TVA and CBC. Am I covered for Habs game coverage?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad