NHL sells European broadcasting rights to Medge Consulting/AMI for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
Anybody else having trouble with the Vault outside Finland? Keeps buffering on and on...not working like it should...

And no, it´s not my connection etc

Had the same problem but found out that it depended on which game I chosed to watch some were fine when others would lagg with out ending.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
So last nights games are not up yet in the Vault. Is that normal? I was under the impression that they'd be added much faster than this.

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
So last nights games are not up yet in the Vault. Is that normal? I was under the impression that they'd be added much faster than this.

This is not normal. I wonder if it has something to do with the lagging from yesterday. Technical issues ...or might it be that the server is overwhelmed by Europeans coming in for games :D. Whole Europe has been buttraped by NHL

Zat

Mar 29, 2007

Nope, the night's games are usually up at about 9 AM'ish Swedish time (i.e. shoulda been 13 hours ago). The Hurricanes game became listed a few hours ago but even that only gives a connection error. I'd say something went wrong today/last night, and they'll probably fix it soon.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Sorry guys, I knew I'd wreck it by subscribing but I did it anyway :)

I finally gave up and just downloaded a torrent of the game instead.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I had some major buffering issues with Vault last Sunday in about 10:00-15:00 period when I believe lot of Europe uses it...games were unwatchable...started it again later in the evening and then worked ok.

Viasat and Nelonen Pro news in Finnish about the NHL broadcasting...I don't have time to translate that crap... they will launch their own net-player in Autumn... F THEM!

http://www.nelonenpro.fi/

Last edited:

Icepick35

Sep 22, 2011
Finland
Now it´s official

Source: http://www.nelonenpro.fi/

Translation of the news:

All the games of the NHL exclusively to Viasat and Nelonen Pro.

Viasat has signed a new television deal regarding the broadcasting of NHL games.

According to the new contract, Nelonen Pro and Viasat will have exclusive rights to broadcast NHL games via television and the internet. Live games will be shown on the Nelonen Pro 1 and 2 channels, and also on Viasats own sports channels. The new contract extends to the year 2016.

Nelonen Pro channels will broadcast approximately five live games per week, so during the season it will sum up to 150 live games for the whole regular season. The contract naturally consists of the NHL playoffs and the Stanley Cup finals. The Nelonen Pro games will be chosen from a Finnish viewpoint and they will be broadcasted in Finnish.

Viasat Hockey, Viasat Sport and the Extra channels that are distributed via satellite will broadcast nearly all of the 1300 NHL regular season games both live and post game broadcasts.

"We are very happy on the fact that we are able to continue covering the best hockey league in the world in Finland but also to grow the amount of top games to enourmous. NHL is the top product of hockey and through this contract Nelonen Pro and Viasat will strengthen the position of being the top channels for hockey", said CEO of Viasat (propably in Finland?) Johannes Leppänen.

The sports director of Nelonen Media Jorma Paakkari had this to say:

"Due to the renewed NHL contract and the ongoing contracts of the KHL and SM-liiga (FEL), Finnish hockey fans will be able to follow the best hockey in the world through our channels. Also the quality of the broacasts will be top notch because the majority of the games will be broadcasted in HD."

"Because of this substantial contract, we will be able to bring all NHL games to the nordic countries for the first time", says the NHL operative director John Collins, and continues: "This distribution contract gives our nordic fans a way to approach the NHL games and players in a way never seen before and is a win for NHL hockey and our fans."

Also the second owner of Medge Consulting Peter Liljestrand compelements the new contract saying: "We are excited for the contract which gives the first opportunity all time, to broadcast all of the NHL games on Viasat and Nelonen Pro in the nordic countries. Never have our channels had as many games broadcasted than this season. And in addition to this, our highlight programs which will present all the best moments from the games will give true value to our fans to the coming seasons."

Translated loosely.

I´m disappointed...they got the streaming rights too...will I lose the original commentary of the games forever...listening to some unprofessional Finnish and Swedish commentators...:(

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Viasat will start tonight with the following;

20 oktober (natt mot 21:a):
01.05, Viasat Hockey: Philadelphia–Washington
01.05, Viasat Sport: Pittsburgh–Montreal
04.05, Viasat Hockey: Phoenix–Los Angeles

21 oktober (natt mot 22:a):
02.05, Viasat Hockey: St Louis–Carolina
04.05, Viasat Sport: Anaheim–Dallas

22 oktober (natt mot 23:e):
22.05, Viasat Hockey: Vancouver–Minnesota
01.05, Viasat Hockey: Pittsburgh–New Jersey
02.05, Viasat Hockey: Anaheim–Phoenix

CCMV

Fighting Aficionado
Oct 16, 2002
Visit site
On paper it sounds interesting. But knowing Viasat, it will probably turn out to be crap. If they are smart, they work with NHL and make viaplay a carbon copy of Gamecenter. But, they will probably continue to run viaplay like as is, which is a crap player that has received a lot of complaints from users.

EDIT: Sounds like they will indeed make a Swedish version of Gamecenter.

EDIT 2: Since my current satellite subscription is running out, perhaps one should bite the bullet and move over to Viasat... :(

CCMV

Fighting Aficionado
Oct 16, 2002
Visit site
Viasat and their player :laugh: it will cost **** loads of money :shakehead and quality will most likely be ****

Hopefully this quote: "The solution will be identical to NHL Gamecenter Live." turns out to be true (and of course that they don't charge double or triple the price of Gamcenter). I guess we will have to wait and see.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
As predicted you have to buy other tv-channels to get access to their future GCL-like player. The cost will increase from $159 to $270 for a NHL season (9 months). Thanks for that one, NHL. I guess it's never enough.

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
Well, 2-3 live games a night isn't looking like a bad start by Viasat.

CCMV

Fighting Aficionado
Oct 16, 2002
Visit site
As predicted you have to buy other tv-channels to get access to their future GCL-like player. The cost will increase from $159 to $270 for a NHL season (9 months). Thanks for that one, NHL. I guess it's never enough.

The information released from Viasat, makes it sound that it might be part of their current Viaplay package. But at the same time, it sounds like it might be a separate service they will provide. I hope it turns out to be the latter, and that Viaplay Gamecenter, will just be NHL Gamecenter with Viaplay logo on it.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
The information released from Viasat, makes it sound that it might be part of their current Viaplay package. But at the same time, it sounds like it might be a separate service they will provide. I hope it turns out to be the latter, and that Viaplay Gamecenter, will just be NHL Gamecenter with Viaplay logo on it.

Hopefully that will be the case. Copy as much as they can from GCL and slap their logo on it and call it their own, but the cynic in me tells me otherwise. My guess is that neither the quality nor the price will be even close to what I'm getting now through GCL.

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia

This....I really hope it is the same thing but different look.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Samtliga matcher kommer att kunna ses inom ramen för paketet TV+Film+Sport på Viaplay - alltså det paketet som kostar 199:- per månad. Vi kommer att samarbeta med NHL GameCenter för Viaplaysändningarna men tekniken är inte riktigt på plats där än utan det samarbetet kommer att dröja ett par veckor.

translates to:

All matches will be viable within the TV+Movie+Sport on Viaplay, the package that is 199 SEK/month (about $30). We will cooperate with NHL Gamecenter for the Viaplay broadcasting but the technology is not in place and it will take a few weeks.

There is no vagueness as to what it will cost. Viasat will be a skin for broadcasting the GCL signal just as ESPNplayer was a skin for broadcasting the GCL signal. There will be no separate cheaper Viaplay NHL-streaming service. Why would there? They want to force people to use their more expensive services. It's not the end of the world to pay the extra money if you enjoy Premier League and Champions League, but if you pretty much only want to watch NHL, it is a massive price hike.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Anyone with experience from Hockeystreams.com?

For me it looks like this is the best offer available?

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
piratpartiet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad