NHL PLAYOFFS 2019 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
He's not even the best defenceman on his team.

Erik Karlsson this series: 9 points in 7 games
Erik Karlsson in last 4 playoffs: 39 points in 42 games

Brent Burns this series: 4 points in 7 games
Brent Burns in last 4 playoffs: 38 points in 47 games

Karlsson is a big game player. And look at the injuries he's played through to put up those numbers. If his first name was "Gary" and his last name was "Roberts" people wouldn't stop talking about how much of a warrior he is.

Again last night, when it was do-or-die, he stepped up.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Erik Karlsson this series: 9 points in 7 games
Erik Karlsson in last 4 playoffs: 39 points in 42 games

Brent Burns this series: 4 points in 7 games
Brent Burns in last 4 playoffs: 38 points in 47 games

Karlsson is a big game player. And look at the injuries he's played through to put up those numbers. If his first name was "Gary" and his last name was "Roberts" people wouldn't stop talking about how much of a warrior he is.

Again last night, when it was do-or-die, he stepped up.

While obviously injured too. Shades of when he helped carry us on one leg.

Reactions: Blarginator
Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Totally missed call, BUT that happens and you just can't give up 4 goals like that. I thought there would be a time-out to regroup.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Please, Stone is as classy as they come and he made damn sure to specify his comments were not meant as a slight to the city. This narrative needs to end. Stone was always an amazing team guy and should still be here but he damn well deserves to enjoy his time in Vegas, even if the playoffs ended early for him.

As for the rest of the Vegas comments, they were fully warranted. Disgusting that the refs handed the Sharks a giant opportunity to come back in the game. I'm happy for EK and everything, but they don't win this game if the ref gets the right call.

They win the game if they don’t give up 4PP goals.

They had them down 3-1 in the series and Martin Jones is a bad goalie which he showed last night. Vegas should never of let it happen, the hockey gods were mad at them because they went around thinking they were already through.

Full marks to San Jose. They deserved it and capitalized on their breaks they were given.

Vegas let in a SH goal in OT game 6 - just like Buffalo did to us when Pmenville deeked Alfie and Emery, all that’s remembered is the hero and the goats, the reffing falls away and the heroes get their due.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
EK could win the Conn Smyth, he’s still the best in the game
i didn't't watch last game unfortunately so can't comment about that. But he was amazing in age first game, easily the best player and looked good to go. The rest of the games were mediocre for the sharks team as a whole, and karlsson didn't really excel. However, it's clear that he's injured.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Oh, your twitter feed, that's where I go to find the consensus opinion and actions of people as well. /s

What you are doing is called stereotyping, and it's a bad look.
I can live with it Engineer. These things happened, and I will make up my own mind as you made yours.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Totally missed call, BUT that happens and you just can't give up 4 goals like that. I thought there would be a time-out to regroup.

How do you make that call if you dont see the infraction? One of the worst calls in the history of hockey, feel bad for Knights fans.

5 Minute majors in game 7 with 11 minutes to go doesnt just happen no. It likely shouldnt have even been a penalty let alone 5 minutes.

Reactions: derriko

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Don't get me started on our gong show. But that's for us to ridicule, nobody else.

Us fans can complain, but the players who get driven away by it and for whom it is a much bigger part of their life have to suck it up. And if they ever speak ill of the organization than **** em, they should just be sucking it up for our entertainment.

:sarcasm:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
How do you make that call if you dont see the infraction? One of the worst calls in the history of hockey, feel bad for Knights fans.

5 Minute majors in game 7 with 11 minutes to go doesnt just happen no. It likely shouldnt have even been a penalty let alone 5 minutes.
I could potentially see the argument that maybe 2 minor penalties could be assessed, definitely not a 5, but either way, giving up 4 PP goals is inexcusable. Curious as I was fast asleep at this point of the night, did Gallant call a timeout?? Change personnel?? Is elite defensive forward Mark Stone on the PK? Did he do anything different, or was this just a case of an elite PP with 2 elite PP QBs just having the will to win?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The only bad thing about the Leafs losing is that it means Melnyk was right about their defense :sarcasm:
Haha I always have to give my head a shake when I remember that he was throwing shade at the Leafs D while he just traded Karlsson and had one of the historically worst defensive teams in that moment.

Reactions: Silencio

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Didn’t watch the Leafs game at all , but it looks good in them and their arrogant GM
Legit curious as to why the Kyle Dubas hatred exists. He doesn't come across as arrogant at all to me. I get that he is the Leafs GM and should be hated just because, but people are really reaching with Dubas.

Here are some of the excuses I have heard from other "hockey men" on TV or on the radio, Twitter, etc.

1) Criticizing him for having "his guy" Garrett Sparks as a backup is quite the reach (still waiting for any hockey guy out there to criticize Dorion for signing Condon to the extension he did)
2) Signing Taveres and not using that money to upgrade the defence (which is quite hilarious considering this was applauded as the greatest signing in the history of the NHL)
3) Not doing anything at the deadline (not many teams did, so why is he more to blame than the others)
4) Analytics.
5) Never played or held an executive position in the league.

Most of the venom is from a combination of 4 & 5, therefore he doesn't pass the eye test. I would say that Mike Babcock played a much larger role in this team not advancing.

PS Angered with Dubas' arrogance when Pierre Dorion has been over the top arrogant in every interview he has ever given "My greatest day as a GM"...lol

Reactions: bert

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Haha I always have to give my head a shake when I remember that he was throwing shade at the Leafs D while he just traded Karlsson and had one of the historically worst defensive teams in that moment.

In fairness, I've been throwing shade at the Leaf's D since last year.

I feel I'm absolved of any Melnyk-related shade by the fact that I've also been throwing WAY more shade at our own D the entire time. :laugh:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I could potentially see the argument that maybe 2 minor penalties could be assessed, definitely not a 5, but either way, giving up 4 PP goals is inexcusable. Curious as I was fast asleep at this point of the night, did Gallant call a timeout?? Change personnel?? Is elite defensive forward Mark Stone on the PK? Did he do anything different, or was this just a case of an elite PP with 2 elite PP QBs just having the will to win?

He called a time out, his PKers were gassed by the third minute the building was rocking and they lost Eakin who is on their first PK. Terrible PK of course but the fact of the matter is it never should have happened. Like I said I feel bad for Knights fans.

Reactions: derriko

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Legit curious as to why the Kyle Dubas hatred exists. He doesn't come across as arrogant at all to me. I get that he is the Leafs GM and should be hated just because, but people are really reaching with Dubas.

Here are some of the excuses I have heard from other "hockey men" on TV or on the radio, Twitter, etc.

1) Criticizing him for having "his guy" Garrett Sparks as a backup is quite the reach (still waiting for any hockey guy out there to criticize Dorion for signing Condon to the extension he did)
2) Signing Taveres and not using that money to upgrade the defence (which is quite hilarious considering this was applauded as the greatest signing in the history of the NHL)
3) Not doing anything at the deadline (not many teams did, so why is he more to blame than the others)
4) Analytics.
5) Never played or held an executive position in the league.

Most of the venom is from a combination of 4 & 5, therefore he doesn't pass the eye test. I would say that Mike Babcock played a much larger role in this team not advancing.

PS Angered with Dubas' arrogance when Pierre Dorion has been over the top arrogant in every interview he has ever given "My greatest day as a GM"...lol

I wouldn't want Dubas mainly because of what is essentially 4 and 5.

I think analytics have their place in hockey, but there are some that place way to much value on them. And GM is a huge responsibility and I just don't see how he has the experience to hold that position.

Reactions: coladin

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

*By Leafs fans and Toronto Media reps too excited at the fact that the Leafs did "a big thing", and couldn't see that they didn't do "the right thing".

I don't think you'll find too many Sens fans who hate Dubas more than Dorion after he said that quote.

I wouldn't bee too quick to compare Leafs fan's "Hatred" of Dubas as a reaction of another 1st round playoff exit vs Sens fans legit actual hared towards basically the entire front office of our team based on literally almost everything that's happened in the past 2-ish years.

Reactions: Deku
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad