NHL players with the worst English

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I cannot believe how much better Ovi's English has become. God damnit do I love that guy

Alex deserves a bunch of credit, don't get me wrong. But I'm just going to suggest that, if you're a prominent player in an English-speaking country (or countries, really, including Canada) for as long as he's been, I would like to think you've learned a thing or two about how to speak the language in that time. We're not talking (no pun intended) about learning a language and becoming comfortable in it over a period of a few months; Ovi has been playing professional hockey in North Ameria for 13 1/2 years now.

I know everyone remembers Malkin and his "I am Score" thing but the last time I heard him talking in English he was 1,000% improved as well, as you would expect; "I am Score" was 10 years ago.

That being said, I said you would expect guys to be comfortable in English by that point, but it doesn't alwas happen that way. There has to be at least some genuine interest in learning the language, for the sake of retention. So, again, due credit to Alex (and Evgeni, and others) for knowing how to speak the language the way they do.

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
I can't really speak for France, but certainly Germans speak better English than most French-Canadians (and lets not even get started on Anglo-Canadians speaking French :help: )

Anglo-Canadians trying to speak french or spanish is just painful to listen to.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
There is no debate if you follow the Oil at all.
Puljiaarvi is ridiculous.

As a bonus, in our glory years Esa Tikaneen was hilarious as he not only couldn't speak good english - he never shut up!

Someone should start a thread about all the commentators that are english soeaking but can't speak english!

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Netherlands ain’t Central European lol. Central Europe is Germany, Swiss, Poland, Czech Rep., Slovakia, Hungary, Austria and Slovenia. German is the second most taught language in most of these countries besides of course Austria and Germany
Thanks for the geography lesson.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Issue with Pulju and why he is thw worst imo is that for him its not an issue of communication. A lot of these guys clearly know what the interview is asking but just have trouble speaking english.
Pulju just doesnt understand english at all. Thankfully hes improved the past few seasons to the point where he does understand a good amount, but he is still pretty bad

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
I don't think Juuso Riikola's English is very good. Our media got tired of interviewing him because he would just give short answers and then smile. Seems like a great guy, though.

Since that video is from early October he seems just a bit "shy". As you can hear his pronunciation is not bad at all but he he just can't form sentences quickly enough. Maybe he is or was too afraid of making mistakes... That's typical for Finns when they try to speak foreign languages.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
If we're talking all-time players, then the worst two are probably:

1) Don Cherry

2) Esa Tikkanen

But Tikkanen falls into the "so bad it's good" territory, as he basically invented his own language and made it work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad