NHL players with the worst English

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
In Europe they don't teach english that much in Russia, France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc. Only in Nordic Countries and Netherlands they speak it good.
All central European countries (Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland) speak very good English. Netherlands is obviously the highest, where just about everyone can speak fluent English. But at least half speak good English in the other countries in my experience.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
All central European countries (Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland) speak very good English. Netherlands is obviously the highest, where just about everyone can speak fluent English. But at least half speak good English in the other countries in my experience.
Netherlands ain’t Central European lol. Central Europe is Germany, Swiss, Poland, Czech Rep., Slovakia, Hungary, Austria and Slovenia. German is the second most taught language in most of these countries besides of course Austria and Germany

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Vasilevskiy has some pretty bad English, while Kuch has it down. Vasy was interviewed tonight about being the Bolts shut out leader. He was battling to say the least.

Kucherov has been in North America a lot longer.

Doesnt play anymore, but Holmstrom was bad. I know learning another language isn't easy, but Lidstrom sounded north American while you could tell Holmstrom wasn't. Even at the end of his career

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not a player, but Bob Hartley has the Frenchiest accent I've ever heard from an Ontarian guy with an Anglo name.

Just looking on a map where he is from, he might as well live in Quebec(his city is right on the Ontario/Quebec border)

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Swedes speak considerably better English than Finns.

Overall for sure. It's mostly because Swedish and English are from the same language family. Among young people, there's not that big of a difference. Albeit Swedes are bit ahead there too.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Everything is dubbed.

Not only in Germany but in Spain too and in some other continental European countries. As a person from a European country where this practice doesn't occur it justs seems so utterly bizarre. I can't wrap my head around it. It's blatant artistic infringement. You make a movie what it is not. I can understand why you dub My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic for 8 year old kids who can't read properly or fast enough, but for god's flipping sake dubbing movies for adults who can read? What the hell.

I remember when Woody Allen dropped his musical Everyone Says I Love You the distributors in my native country wanted to title it Alla säger jag älskar dig, but Allen refused and made them title it Alla säger I Love You instead. And that's only a title. :laugh: I understand him though, it's his film, he can title it whatever he wants.

Rant over.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Swedes speak considerably better English than Finns.

Swedes definitely have a natural advantage over Finns when it comes to speaking English (as do other Nordics, Norwegians and Danes), but most Finns can understand and write English pretty good. Speaking without an accent or without stumbling over your words is the difficult part because Finnish and English are very different type of languages, English (and Swedish) being a Germanic language, Finnish being a "Finno-Ugric" language. Of course, with experience, the accent and the stumbling usually goes away (as you can see with Finns who have stayed longer in the American continent), and you start thinking about things more in English than by trying to translate Finnish into English, resulting in a more natural flow of speech.

Russians might struggle a bit more than Finns because they not only have an entirely different language, they also have a different alphabet (which is not entirely dissimilar from what is used in the West, but still). Not to mention that Russia is a pretty huge country and you will generally survive in East Europe/Russia as long as you speak Russian, just like an American will survive speaking English as long as he stays in the West. For a Russian to learn English, they have to break out of their comfort zone a little bit.

Finnish and Swedish is only spoken by a small group of people in the world, so it is generally understood that it is best to know other languages as well. If hundreds of millions of people spoke Finnish, I'm not sure if I would feel the need to learn anything more.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I cannot believe how much better Ovi's English has become. God damnit do I love that guy

Reactions: Fixxer

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Why is Malkin so bad? Which foreign languages do the teach in Russian schools?. French and Germans are awful as well at English, don't they teach other languages in school. Guess dubbing TV and movies does not help either

I can't really speak for France, but certainly Germans speak better English than most French-Canadians (and lets not even get started on Anglo-Canadians speaking French :help: )

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I don't like the concept of good English and bad English. I prefer understandable and rough as better descriptors.

dman34

May 6, 2011
Antoine Roussel sounds pretty hilarious. Perfect accent for on ice chirping lol

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Bobby Ryan can speak it, but he can't spell.

Eberle is in the same boat.

DMRE7JYVwAIGWrM.jpg:large

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad