nhl players that smoke

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't know where you live, but here in Saskatchewan, most smokers respect other people. I rarely ever see anyone smoking near a public place or near other people. The only place you may run into this constantly would be at a bar.
I agree though, just because you want to damage your own body, doesn't mean you have the right to do it to others.
Doesn't seem to be much of a problem in Alberta either aside from outside of bars. You don't see many people puffing on darts in public anymore.

Reactions: Beebop22

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I remember hearing that Joe Sakic roomed with Guy Lafleur when they were both on the Nordiques for away games and that Guy smoked like a chimney and that Sakic made him smoke in the bathroom at the hotel rooms. :laugh:

I have no idea about any truth to this.

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
To get back on topic here, I highly doubt any players smoke everyday. From my playing experience alone, junior, major junior and minors, I never once played with anyone who was a smoker. Lots of players chewed and that was kind of like a religious thing. Most of us would stick a dip in between periods.
The only time I encountered players smoking was after my "competitive" days were over. Playing in local senior leagues, seemed like all the washed up WHL or college guys became smokers.
Edit: Feel like I should mention that a lot of the guys would smoke when out drinking though. But never, when they weren't drinking.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
First player I thought of.

Guy would allegedly be hacking darts between periods. :laugh:
Legend has it that an exterior door was added just to allow Zubov to quickly sneak out for drags while in gear. Apparently he'd go through an entire pack from the time he left his house on game day until he arrived back home.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I remember hearing that Joe Sakic roomed with Guy Lafleur when they were both on the Nordiques for away games and that Guy smoked like a chimney and that Sakic made him smoke in the bathroom at the hotel rooms. :laugh:

I remember reading and hearing stories of Lafleur smoking darts between periods when he played for Montreal :laugh:

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
The blues are constantly throwing in gaggers. Wouldn’t lie about it boys. Even let fabbri grab a pinch of some kodak straight and thanked me for not dippin the pusspouches. All the Blackhawk players rip pouches. No wonder why they’re softer than charmin. Not impressed by karlsson either. Only person I know that uses snus is my little sister. Dudes a bender

Reactions: Dr John Carlson

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
The blues are constantly throwing in gaggers. Wouldn’t lie about it boys. Even let fabbri grab a pinch of some kodak straight and thanked me for not dippin the pusspouches. All the Blackhawk players rip pouches. No wonder why they’re softer than charmin. Not impressed by karlsson either. Only person I know that uses snus is my little sister. Dudes a bender

This reads like a cut from Letterkenny.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Tons of the old Russians used to chain smoke. In buffalo a lot of the guys played cards and mogilny was the worst. Hasek would have drinks at the bar all afternoon on game days.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Hes an older player so its kind of obvious but my grandpa got to play with a bunch of Canadiens alumni a few years ago and Lafleur just lit up right in the dressing room, no one wanted to tell him he couldn't smoke in there :laugh:

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I know countless junior guys and every single one of them chews to my knowledge, I would bet it's pretty prevalent in the NHL also.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
I'm guessing there should be plenty who smoke at least from time to time. That said, smoking is not in style anymore.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Was well known Lafleur was a heavy smoker in his playing days

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
The boys used to hack darts in the dressing room between periods in the 80s back when livin was livin and darts were darts.

well i am not a tobacco smoker but back in the 80's we used to smoke a bunch of stuff and drink beer right on the bench. we didn't wait till period breaks. :eek:

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
They probably vape or chew. I switched from smoking (25years, pack a day) to vaping, and the difference is night and day concerning breathing and endurance.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
back in 2005-2006 i traveled on a couple of road trips with the Predators. They had a Russian d-man named Danny Markov that played for them (he was in the NHL for 11 years).

Anyway, was getting ready to leave the hotel in STL for the morning skate with the guys and you just walked straight from the hotel to the arena (cann't remember hotel name but it was only a block or two away from the arena).

Markov comes up to me and says hey will you walk over with me. I say sure. As soon as we are outside he looks around and we see no one close and he whips a pack of Marlboro reds out and fires one up and tells me if we see anyone i'm gonna hand you this cause the league says we aren't supposed to smoke in front of fans. Sure enough we get about halfway there and he has to hand me the cig cause fans are walking up for autographs. He told me "all us Russians still smoke, i smoke about a pack or two a day" lol.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
met Ken Wreggett at the Winnipeg Air Port in 1990 when he played for the Flyers. He was smoking with a few assistant coachs and members of the Flyers training staff. Took a pic with him and he has his hand behind his back during the pic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad