nhl players that smoke

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I remember hearing that Joe Sakic roomed with Guy Lafleur when they were both on the Nordiques for away games and that Guy smoked like a chimney and that Sakic made him smoke in the bathroom at the hotel rooms. :laugh:

I have no idea about any truth to this.
Lafleur was a heavy smoker.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
The conditioning of athletes is on another level than it what is in those days. The game is much faster, physical, etc. Vince Carter was the same, he'd use his offseason to take vacations, hardly did any off-season training early in his career. Doubt he really does now still.
I know this is an old post, but just to comment on Carter, the dude was a freak during his Toronto days. Even if he wasn't training, he was one of those guys born with enough natural athletic ability to excel. I swear I once saw him jump over the CN Tower to get a dunk.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I imagin theres alot who smoke when they drink. Probably alot less who do it regularly

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
The very athletic ones (Ovi, Keith, etc) likely don't smoke. True athletes tend not to touch stuff that mess with their bodies (inb4 steroids)

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
The very athletic ones (Ovi, Keith, etc) likely don't smoke. True athletes tend not to touch stuff that mess with their bodies (inb4 steroids)
Nothing wrong with weed, but I bet Ovi has smoked a few joints since he won the cup.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Nothing wrong with weed, but I bet Ovi has smoked a few joints since he won the cup.
Oh I assumed this thread was about tobacco. Weed isn't too harsh on the lungs, moderation is key tbh. If anything swim has found that it helps with asthma :laugh:

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I would wager that of all the superstars or stars, Ovi would rank high on the list of guys who would have a few smokes when he parties. Especially when he is back in Russia.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
I would wager that of all the superstars or stars, Ovi would rank high on the list of guys who would have a few smokes when he parties. Especially when he is back in Russia.
Oh yea, Ovi definitely seems like he enjoys an occasional spliff. I was talking about tobacco.

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
Have been around the game since 86’. Trottier could hack them let me tell you....still couldn’t keep up with me though. Also Man could Steve Sullivan drink beer..... guy loved the beer and would put up 5 points the next game.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
I used to work in bars where I met a lot of NHL guys. Smoking was allowed and pervasive back then. I can honestly say that I've never seen any of them light a smoke, ever. I guess it could have to do with public image.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
And be hacking up a lung on the bench after a shift of skating at the speed that he skates. I doubt that.
Speaking merely from personal experience, a person can smoke all through their teens and twenties with minimal apparent health effects. It'll really start to catch up to you in your 30s though.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I remember it was reported that Al Iafrate used to smoke a cigarette in between periods

Adrian Dater: When smoking was the NHL's bad habit

One of the most openly notorious NHL smokers of all was Al "Planet" Iafrate, a defenseman known for his big slap shot and bigger appetite for nicotine.

"I remember my first NHL exhibition game as an assistant with Philly (in 1990)," says Ken Hitchcock, who now coaches the St. Louis Blues. "We were in Washington, and I went to give the lineup to the referees and you had to walk by the Washington dressing room. And Al Iafrate was lighting up with a blowtorch for bending sticks. Coming from junior hockey, I found that rather unique."

Anyone who covered the NHL when Iafrate played from 1984 until his retirement in 1998 as a San Jose Shark probably saw him sitting on a chair outside the dressing room with his shirt (and sometimes pants) off, puffing away. Legend has it that Iafrate once bummed a cigarette off an Ottawa reporter between periods, lighting it up in his customary blowtorch blaze of glory.

It's like something out of a movie LOL.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad