nhl players that smoke

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
kipper-phaneuf.jpg

carey-price-smoking-cigarettes.jpg

Apparently Price used to be a big time smoker but quit.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I don't think there's anyone to be classified as a smoker. Some of them smoke on a night out for sure. Chew tobacco is a thing for Nordic (Sweden, Finnish etc.) players.

G7 ECF overtime last year (I was in kinda disbelief at first when I saw this). I find this somehow funny, he's like a kid playing outdoor pick up game with that thing under his lip.:laugh:

That's snus, not chewing tobacco.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I used to work at the golf course where Ron Hainsey played in the summer, the guy would be there pretty much everyday playing golf and then hanging out on the patio. He would go through 1-2 packs a day in the summer but stop for the season, atleast that's what he told me

He 100% smokes like a chimney in the summer

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I thought they call it chewinh tobacco for some reason..
It's easy to confuse those two. You simply call it just "snus" in English too. Chewing tobacco what they use in the NA is put under the bottom lip, not upper like snus is.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Everyone from Quebec and the former Soviet Union....

As a Swede though I have to say snus is just disgusting. I'd rather chain smoke 4 pack of cigarettes a day than put in one of those filthy little things in my mouth.

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
Everyone from Quebec and the former Soviet Union....

As a Swede though I have to say snus is just disgusting. I'd rather chain smoke 4 pack of cigarettes a day than put in one of those filthy little things in my mouth.

next level head buzz though

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
It's easy to confuse those two. You simply call it just "snus" in English too. Chewing tobacco what they use in the NA is put under the bottom lip, not upper like snus is.

Snus doesnt have to be in the upper lip either.. Chewing tobacco like redman is just a leafy tobacco that you kind of have to "chew".

dip or snus you just pack into the top or bottom lip.

Reactions: Tomas W

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Snus doesnt have to be in the upper lip either.. Chewing tobacco like redman is just a leafy tobacco that you kind of have to "chew".

dip or snus you just pack into the top or bottom lip.
Dip and snus are different too. While snus doesn't have to be placed behind the upper lip, it generally is supposed to.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I know Mario Lemieux used to smoke a hell of a lot when he first came to Pittsburgh. Current NHL players I don't really know of any who smoke.

Reactions: Iceman

NewUser293223

Registered Abuser
Oct 21, 2017
Ivory tower
Makes your performance plummet so personally I would be very surprised if any of them did actually smoke.

I truly wish smoking publicly was banned completely. It's a total pain having to always look out for smokers, hold your breath while walking past them etc.

How difficult is it to not bother others?

Yeah, but the addiction is strong and smokers just don't care. Many of them would rather smoke than eat.

I suspect that a lot of Snus users / tobacco chewers simply do it to get their fix, as smoking in the locker room between periods would be considered a sacrilege and sneaking out for a quick cig with a bunch of security guys wouldn't look too good either.

I know for a fact a lot of people (including myself) did apply the same logic (as yours) to soccer and soccer players, but once I read an honest interview with one of the Juve squad, I learned that many (the player claimed half the first team literally) smoked and social media exposed that trend mercilessly.

Rooney, Zidane even Messi... I suspect the only reason why so many soccer people were caught smoking on camera whereas the occurrence seems relatively sparse among hockey dudes is that hockey players are much less recognizable in public.

NewUser293223

Registered Abuser
Oct 21, 2017
Ivory tower
They can smoke or dip all they want. Thats their business

Well, not if I'm the one in charge of things, lol. It increases the risk of heart attack and I wouldn't want my boys to score one, not on the ice, not during the match, not in the training, thank you.

I can see them vaping now instead of smoking.

At least during the season, it would make sense.

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
Makes your performance plummet so personally I would be very surprised if any of them did actually smoke.

I truly wish smoking publicly was banned completely. It's a total pain having to always look out for smokers, hold your breath while walking past them etc.

How difficult is it to not bother others?
I don't know where you live, but here in Saskatchewan, most smokers respect other people. I rarely ever see anyone smoking near a public place or near other people. The only place you may run into this constantly would be at a bar.
I agree though, just because you want to damage your own body, doesn't mean you have the right to do it to others.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad