Prospect Info: NHL Pipeline Rankings (Pronman)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I was reading these thinking "wtf is this guys smoking?". These players skating should at the very least be above-average being 6'4 and 6'6. Lazy writing is something you mentioned above, and I agree with you.
Yeah, it is a bad ranking system. Sure, they are not burners the way 5'11" guys can be, but they are both very mobile, have excellent athleticism and have elite NHL size. I don't have a problem with Pronman, I just don't value his rankings that much for Seider or Edvinsson. To be fair he was a Seider skeptic but has come around on him. I just think Pronman doesn't have an appreciation for their skillset. No big deal, really.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If it makes this board feel better about some of the Wings rankings. He had Trevor Zegras with this:

Pronman review of Zegras

Skating: Below-average
Puck Skills: Average

Hockey Sense: Elite
Compete: Average

The puck skills as average is laughably bad as far as I'm concerned. He should likely be listed as elite because if he excels at anything it is his puck skills and I think they are all world.

His puck skills aren't all world level. His hands aren't even the best part of his game. Hockey sense is extremely high and the hallmark of his game. It's like he has an EA NHL passing lane HUD that shows him options that most players can't see.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
His puck skills aren't all world level. His hands aren't even the best part of his game. Hockey sense is extremely high and the hallmark of his game. It's like he has an EA NHL passing lane HUD that shows him options that most players can't see.
Ok, even if that is true and his hockey sense is his best attribute I don't think anyone would say his "puck skills" are considered average. I can buy that they aren't "all world" (my opinion but whatever) but average is selling him short.

Say what you will about how effective this will be in the NHL but he clearly has at least above-average "puck skills". I think what makes his hockey sense as dangerous as it is, is that he can make high puck-skill plays to get the passes in seams most people can't. He clearly has vision and hockey sense but they don't have to be mutually exclusive. Patrick Kane isn't Patrick Kane without both of those attributes being high level.

Not trying to really argue you, just pointing out that I think Pronman is out to lunch on a lot of his attribute ranking.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Ok, even if that is true and his hockey sense is his best attribute I don't think anyone would say his "puck skills" are considered average. I can buy that they aren't "all world" (my opinion but whatever) but average is selling him short.

Say what you will about how effective he is in game but he clearly has above average "puck skills"

Unfortunately a lot of what you see there doesn't really make an appearance in game. I can juggle a golf ball with a wedge pretty well, but that doesn't mean I can hit flop shots over a bunker to a tucked pin from 30 yards out on command like the best of the best PGA Tour players. Zegras' hands pop at a really good level during games, but it's not an unreal level. He beats people with his eyes.

But to be fair, you are right. His hands are above average certainly; they just are still a full tier below his hockey sense at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad