NHL-NHLPA Agree in Principle according to LA Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR1724

Jul 6, 2004
New York, New York
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nhl7jul07,0,742506.story?coll=la-home-sports

"The NHL and the players' association have agreed in principle on a new collective bargaining agreement that will feature a hard salary cap linked to 54% of league revenue, a 24% rollback of existing contracts and qualifying offers, and a provision that will limit the salary of any single player to 20% of the team cap figure in any year, sources familiar with the labor negotiations said Wednesday.

The agreement, which is expected to be announced next week, also includes an NBA-style escrow provision under which 15% of each player's paycheck will go into an escrow account until revenue is calculated after each season. If league-wide spending on salaries exceeds 54% of revenue, the difference between the salaries paid and the negotiated percentage will be paid to teams from the escrow account. If teams spend less than 54%, the escrow money will revert to players"

-No All-Star game in 2006 because of the Olympics
- Each team will have an equal shot at Crosby. each team gets 1 ball
- The CBA will be presented to the 10 man executive team in NY and BOG will ratify it late next week
- Players will vote at a meeting. if they approve, a 10-day period will begin for teams to sign players they drafted in 2003 and other players on their reserve lists. The season probably would start in early to mid-October.
- No Luxury Tax. The top 10 revenue teams will share a percentage with the small market teams.
- Baseball style arbitration ( both sides present a number) arbitratior pick the number.
- Free Agency goes from 31 for the first year of the CBA, 30 for the second year and 28 for the remaining 4 years
- performance bonuses will be based off specific things for forwards, defensemen and goalies. such as points, ice time and plus minus for forwards.
- rookies have to sign for 4 years at a max of $850 K

NHL and NHLPA are still bickering over 04-05 contracts according to this report but I dont understand how if they have agreed in principle.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Are they just jumping the gun? Saying the deal in principle is done but it won't be announced until next week? Or are they saying the deal in principle is done and the whole thing (ratification and all) will be done next week? As per...

The agreement, which is expected to be announced next week

dafranchz

oildrop said:
Are they just jumping the gun? Saying the deal in principle is done but it won't be announced until next week? Or are they saying the deal in principle is done and the whole thing (ratification and all) will be done next week? As per...

The agreement, which is expected to be announced next week

Of course nothing is said and done until the NHL and NHLPA show up on your t.v to announce the end of this.......but Helene Elliott has a lot of reputable sources. I wouldn't put it past her that she is on the button with a lot of this stuff.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
"King President Tim Leiweke, a member of the NHL executive committee, declined to discuss specifics of the negotiations. "I do think the union and the league have made a lot of progress," he said. "They're not there, but hopefully, they'll be there in the very near future."

The largest unresolved issue, a source said, is the disposition of contracts for the 2004-05 season. The NHLPA wants obligations for the 2004-05 season to be respected, and the NHL opposes that but might yield, a source said."

-------

No sources havve been named who confirm this, no official anouncement. It's all speculation and they obviously have no finalized everything otherwise the negotiations would be over.

Although far more likely to be accurate, this has just as much merit as Feb.'s THN anouncement of an agreement being reached as no one of any importance has confirmed anything. In fact the only anounced source would not confirm it...

NYR1724

Jul 6, 2004
New York, New York
Anybody think this could get voted down by the PA? I guess we'll see how much these guys trust there executive committee like they were saying months ago if they dont approve it. Imagine if it got voted down.. talking about alienating and teasing hockey fans more.

dafranchz

The Macho Man said:
No sources havve been named who confirm this, no official anouncement. It's all speculation and they obviously have no finalized everything otherwise the negotiations would be over.

Although far more likely to be accurate, this has just as much merit as Feb.'s THN anouncement of an agreement being reached as no one of any importance has confirmed anything. In fact the only anounced source would not confirm it...

Obviously the whole idea of a source or sources is to "give" or "leak" information, is done under the condition of anonymity. As well, she is not going to run with an untrusted piece of info from an untrusted source. Come on!

NYR1724

Jul 6, 2004
New York, New York
http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2005/07/07/1120394-sun.html

Here's BRUCEY!!!!!

"My understanding is the players really want their contracts from last year to move forward. They've given in on just about every other issue and this is one they want to fight to the finish," said a league source.

Meanwhile, there was talk a tentative deal could be announced as early as today, but the speculation now is it might be announced on the weekend in the form of a simple press release.

Garrioch reports talk of the same concept Elliot reports with a player not bieng allowed to make up more then 20 percent of a team's cap space. Garrioch says if the cap is $37 a player cant make anymore then $7.4.. there goes Jagr.

reports the same no luxury tax but percentage to smaller markets

SPARTAKUS*

NYR1 said:
Anybody think this could get voted down by the PA? I guess we'll see how much these guys trust there executive committee like they were saying months ago if they dont approve it. Imagine if it got voted down.. talking about alienating and teasing hockey fans more.
Not a chance in hell the players vote it down. Can you imagine the fans reactions. The players want to play next season this is the best deal they will have. I can't see why they would voted down.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
NYR1 said:
http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2005/07/07/1120394-sun.html

Here's BRUCEY!!!!!

"My understanding is the players really want their contracts from last year to move forward. They've given in on just about every other issue and this is one they want to fight to the finish," said a league source.

Meanwhile, there was talk a tentative deal could be announced as early as today, but the speculation now is it might be announced on the weekend in the form of a simple press release.

Garrioch reports talk of the same concept Elliot reports with a player not bieng allowed to make up more then 20 percent of a team's cap space. Garrioch says if the cap is $37 a player cant make anymore then $7.4.. there goes Jagr.

reports the same no luxury tax but percentage to smaller markets

I like the sounds of that. Now, let's get this darn thing done already!

NYR1724

Jul 6, 2004
New York, New York
I think that the NHL should give the players the 04-05 contracts. The NHL has beaten the crap out of the PA in some aspects of this deal in the eyes of the players. To make ratification a bit easier it'd be nice for the PA to say well we got our asses kicked here but we got you this. The NHL wins the major parts of the war but the PA atleast brings something back to its players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"and a provision that will limit the salary of any single player to 20% of the team cap figure in any year,"

Thats new .. Never heard that before .. a cap on on individual salaries ..

If the Cap is $37 mil then the max any player can make in the NHL is $7.4 mil !!!!

dafranchz

OTTSENS said:
Not a chance in hell the players vote it down. Can you imagine the fans reactions. The players want to play next season this is the best deal they will have. I can't see why they would voted down.
There could be something very significant holding in the balance that is stopping or slowing down the process. Like a clause from the league that the NHLPA doesn't want to accept. A good and obvious example: 2004-05 salaries.

This leak to Elliott is essence could be a powerplay to back the players into a corner. Just speculation.....but at this point, that would be a smart move to force them PA over the threshold on an important issue that is causing a last minute impasse. Just imagine if the league were to come out and say that they were this close and the PA balked at the deal or backed off.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Jeff Dahlia said:
There could be something very significant holding in the balance that is stopping or slowing down the process. Like a clause from the league that the NHLPA doesn't want to accept. A good and obvious example: 2004-05 salaries.

This leak to Elliott is essence could be a powerplay to back the players into a corner. Just speculation.....but at this point, that would be a smart move to force them PA over the threshold on an important issue that is causing a last minute impasse. Just imagine if the league were to come out and say that they were this close and the PA balked at the deal or backed off.

There would be total and utter chaos. If the players ever vote against this ratification their careers are over and so is the NHL.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Jeff Dahlia said:
That is why I starting to feel this might be a lot more of a tactic then just a slip of the tounge.

I sure hope so. Either way, I just hope some sort of announcement comes this week so that the ratification process will be over next week. I can't stand to wait another 2 weeks. :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad