NHL-NHLPA Agree in Principle according to LA Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
The person who wrote the article is going to be on Leafs Lunch in the next half hour

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Messenger said:
From TSN

Don't panic just yet TSN stated it will be "slightly weighted"

Your team still falls under the TSN definition of "performed poorly"

So lucky for you you still have that to be proud of, an hang on to.. !! :sarcasm:
:yo:

there needs to be a WEIGHTED lottery...

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Helene Elliott on right now.

And what an interesting comment she just made...

Paraphrasing: (Regarding the 2004-05 contracts) I've been told the league doesn't want to honor those, but if it comes down to that being the only thing holding this up, I've been told the league might be amenable to considering some sort of formula to include them.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Are they even meeting today?? Any confirmation on that? If not, I believe that most of the i's and t's are complete.

At any rate, I am one of those who believe that the agreement to be voted/ratified is 99.9999% complete and therefore, the agreement in principle tag may be justified... even if the parties keep denying.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
By the way, they just finished the Helene Elliott interview, and now they are making their final phone call to Sean Avery in one last attempt to reach him after he stiffed the show yesterday and hasn't been heard from since. They're playing the call live on the air. It rang several times and then went to Avery's voice mail (recorded in Avery's own voice). The host left a message that they're still trying to reach him and left their number. All of this being heard live on the air. Hilarious.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Tom Hicks said on the Norm Hitzges radio show this morning (1310 am in Dallas) that he, as a member of the BOG Executive Committee, has been called to New York for a meeting on Monday. But most of the interview was spent talking about the Kenny Rogers fiasco and not hockey.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
By the way, they just finished the Helene Elliott interview, and now they are making their final phone call to Sean Avery in one last attempt to reach him after he stiffed the show yesterday and hasn't been heard from since. They're playing the call live on the air. It rang several times and then went to Avery's voice mail (recorded in Avery's own voice). The host left a message that they're still trying to reach him and left their number. All of this being heard live on the air. Hilarious.

He's more than likely being chastized by the PA's leadership so no wonder he's not reachable. They might have put him back into the gimp cage, who knows. ;)

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Kritter471 said:
Tom Hicks said on the Norm Hitzges radio show this morning (1310 am in Dallas) that he, as a member of the BOG Executive Committee, has been called to New York for a meeting on Monday. But most of the interview was spent talking about the Kenny Rogers fiasco and not hockey.
By the way, does anyone know which owners comprise the BOG Executive Committee? I believe it's been mentioned that it consists of 10 of the 30 owners, but I don't know if I've seen which owners.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
As a side note, players are still going to come over and take the 850k per as rookies. They'd probably make more in the first couple of years over in Russia, but down the road, they're standing to make way more out of endorsements and in higher salaries.

Yes, for the first 3-4 years, Ovechkin might make a tad bit less in the NHL, but he's also more guranteed, and will have more perks. (Though that condo must be nice. ;))

You'll see more middling players stay over in the RSL, but I doubt you see many top prospects stay in Russia.

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
By the way, does anyone know which owners comprise the BOG Executive Committee? I believe it's been mentioned that it consists of 10 of the 30 owners, but I don't know if I've seen which owners.

Hotchkiss (Calgary) (Chairman BOG)
Jacobs (Boston)
Naegele (Minn)
Leopold (Nash)
Lamoriello (NJ)
Karmanos (Carolina)
Hicks (Dallas)

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Chimaera said:
As a side note, players are still going to come over and take the 850k per as rookies. They'd probably make more in the first couple of years over in Russia, but down the road, they're standing to make way more out of endorsements and in higher salaries.

Yes, for the first 3-4 years, Ovechkin might make a tad bit less in the NHL, but he's also more guranteed, and will have more perks. (Though that condo must be nice. ;))

You'll see more middling players stay over in the RSL, but I doubt you see many top prospects stay in Russia.

Good point. If a Russian (for example) stays home and makes $1.5M rather than take $850k from the NHL, he might not necessarily make much more in three years time. If he wanted to get in the NHL then, he'd still have to go through the rookie salary phase, but now he'll have three fewer prime years to cash in.

Most, if not all, will still be better off coming over early if you consider career earning potential.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe this has been said already, but I dont feel like reading all the previous posts.

I honestly think that idiot Elliott published this so they wouldn't look stupid since all week they've been reporting "Thursday's the day"...

And they didn't plan on representatives from either side comming out and shooting it down.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Scugs said:
Maybe this has been said already, but I dont feel like reading all the previous posts.

I honestly think that idiot Elliott published this so they wouldn't look stupid since all week they've been reporting "Thursday's the day"...

And they didn't plan on representatives from either side comming out and shooting it down.

If you read her article closely, it's entirely possible that she's technically not wrong in what she says (as others have echoed); it's just couched in more optimistic terms than the TSN counter-report.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
sveiglar said:
If you read her article closely, it's entirely possible that she's technically not wrong in what she says (as others have echoed); it's just couched in more optimistic terms than the TSN counter-report.
Precisely. She openly admits that the '04-'05 contract years are still up in the air. The NHL and 'PA won't say a peep until everything is completely ironed out.

MontrealCruiser_83*

norrisnick said:
Precisely. She openly admits that the '04-'05 contract years are still up in the air. The NHL and 'PA won't say a peep until everything is completely ironed out.
Lets just hope she wasn't off about the lottery system.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Scugs said:

Once again, I seriously doubt Helene Elliott would be the recipient of the Elmer Ferguson Memorial Award from the Hockey Hall of Fame if she was:

a) an idiot
b) a poor writer
c) and irresponsible journalist
d) didn't know a few highly placed hockey people she could use as sources

Frankly, her history of reporting DWARFS Eklund and all the other so-called "reporters" in the hockey world. She hadn't written a hockey article that I'd seen in the paper in weeks until yesterday because there was nothing to report. No rumor, no innuendo, NOTHING! She had a story to report and she reported on it and I'm inclined with her background and history and reputation to believe a grand majority of it.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
MontrealCruiser_83 said:
Lets just hope she wasn't off about the lottery system.

I hope she was onto something with the max individual salary... that would be a major coup for ownership.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
ahh...

shakes said:
So you are saying the general public would be mad because the NHLPA didn't completely cave and bend to the owners demands... like honouring a contract that they expect the players to honour? I hope the general public would be a little smarter than that.

They didnt sign a contract for a player who was 1 year older then the player they signed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->